AT 4wd Transmission for a 91 legacy needed PLEASE.

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32
snsamaha
In Neutral

AT 4wd Transmission for a 91 legacy needed PLEASE.

Post by snsamaha »

Hi,
I need a tranny please. If anyone can give me info RE years and models the tranny is interchangeable with, I would be very grateful. THANKS!!!
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Re: AT 4wd Transmission for a 91 legacy needed PLEASE.

Post by Legacy Rally Guy »

I have one, mine has a brand new Torque Converter and runs well after warmed up, but has a weak shift solonoid. It functions without fail and has for the entire time I've owned it, but Id suggest replacing it. I'd take $200 picked up *Northern Missouri*. *this is cheap for one of these* has 160,000 miles on it, works well, and drives fine. no leaks and has had fresh filters installed at proper intervals. My cars headgaskets died, so I'm going another path with my car, rather than fixing the engine.
1991 Legacy N/A- Being built to withstand zombie apocalypse!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
snsamaha
In Neutral

Post by snsamaha »

I can't find a rebuild kit for that, so replacing the solenoid is the initial issue. The problem that I have a is a bad Duty Solenoid C (trouble code 24), or at least that's what the trouble code shows...Does yours have a trouble code? if so, which one is it?
I wish I could just find a rebuilt one somewhere...or a used one without any of the trouble codes. I cleaned all of the electrical in mine hoping to fix the problem but it didn't. The shifting is acceptable, but my 4wd work intermittently and it sometimes doens't go in 1st after a rolling stop.... It binds sometimes too.
snsamaha
In Neutral

Post by snsamaha »

You can tell if it has a trouble code by watching the 'power' light n the cluster. If it blinks after start up for 8 seconds (about 15 times) then there is a trouble code present.
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

When I first drove it after it sat a long time, was originally a parts car. I DID have a Solenoid code, but I changed the fluid and ran some flusher through it. I drove the last few thousand miles without any sort of code, I just figured the slow response was from varnish or a sticky valve... The code no longer happens *I wrote it down, I'll have to go look in the car* The trans isn't like new, but the more I drove it, the happier it became.

*note* When I changed the fluid, it was just slightly darker, there was not a burnt smell or a brown tint to it. The told me the clutches were fine, and I used to crawl up steep inclines, testing my approach angle, I never once had the AWD fail or any binding.

A rebuild kit is available, but not cheap, however I dont know if it'd come with the shift solenoid.
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
snsamaha
In Neutral

Post by snsamaha »

Then I wish you were closer. LOL I live in the mountains of california (best place for the apocalypse). Do you know where the rebuild kit is available from? It runs fine right now, but i do notice it getting progressively worst. It's in line for major work once I finish the head gasket on my 85 Alfa, the motor rebuild on my Dolphin motor home (22RE Toyota), Tranny/engine mounts on my ford truck AND THEN....hopefully the tranny on this Suby. I do wanna check and see if the solenoids come with it and make a decision from there. I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A MANUAL ONE. BTW it has 270,XXX miles on it and still runs great bar the minor tranny issue.
iS THE DRIVER SIDE VISOR IN OK CONDITION ON YOURS? AND TRYNG TO THINK OF ANY OTHER PARTS I MAY NEED OFF OF YOURS FOR NOW.
thanks for replying to my post.
Serge
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Trans interchange info:
'90-91 NON-turbo are 4.11 FD ratio
'92-94 non-turbo and '91-94 turbo are 3.90 FD ratio.

They are interchangeable (between turbo and NA and different years), just keep the flex-plate w/the trans and you can swap the rear diff to match. Also, use the TCU that matches the trans for best results.

Remember to remove the 4 flex-plate bolts on the TC when removing and to properly seat the TC when installing.

TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

snsamaha wrote:Then I wish you were closer. LOL I live in the mountains of california (best place for the apocalypse). Do you know where the rebuild kit is available from? It runs fine right now, but i do notice it getting progressively worst. It's in line for major work once I finish the head gasket on my 85 Alfa, the motor rebuild on my Dolphin motor home (22RE Toyota), Tranny/engine mounts on my ford truck AND THEN....hopefully the tranny on this Suby. I do wanna check and see if the solenoids come with it and make a decision from there. I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A MANUAL ONE. BTW it has 270,XXX miles on it and still runs great bar the minor tranny issue.
iS THE DRIVER SIDE VISOR IN OK CONDITION ON YOURS? AND TRYNG TO THINK OF ANY OTHER PARTS I MAY NEED OFF OF YOURS FOR NOW.
thanks for replying to my post.
Serge
Ill check the availability of the rebuild kit. And yeah, my visors are in great shape, I have a gray pair from the legacy.