WTB: Black Steering Column Plastic

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

WTB: Black Steering Column Plastic

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm looking for the steering column plastic covers in black but it has to be in good shape, no cracks or scratches that will be seen and it needs still have the mounting shafts unbroken. Mine rattles all the time because some part of it is broken.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Re: WTB: Black Steering Column Plastic

Post by Alphius »

They are still available from the dealer if you get impatient.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 49#p392249
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks alphius. Was there different ones for airbag cars? What years had them in black with no airbag? Were there any black non-airbag center console trays? The one right below the ash tray? I noticed the airbag cars have a different tray that's higher and tiny/useless and ugly.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

There are different part numbers for airbag vs. non-airbag. I don't know what the specific difference is, but I am about 80% sure that they are interchangeable. :P
The black non-airbag version is part number 34340AA080ML and was on '92 Turbo non-airbag cars only. 90-91 had no black interior options, and '93+ had airbags.

The center console tray is available in black in a non-airbag style, but again only in '92 Turbo Legacies. It's a hard piece to find. The part number is 92060AA011ML but that number is discontinued from Subaru so your only option is to go used.

I figured that the column cover is so hard to find used and when you do find one it is almost always broken in some way that the $35 or so for one from the dealer is really worth it if you need one. I am a perfectionist when it comes to these things though, so take that for what it's worth. :lol:
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks for the info. Ill buy one new then and keep my eye out for a center console piece in black non airbag style. I'd like to go all black interior one day. 92 turbo in black...talk about rare!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Alphius wrote:That's correct, 90-91 were only gray in the Turbo version, and 92-94 were only black. N/A could be blue or beige or gray in 90-94, but never black.
Maybe not as rare as I thought. I didn't know 92-94 turbo was only black.
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

i tired ordering a black non air bag one of these tuesday 34340aa080ml but i cant get it in canada from the dealer.
canada never had a black non air bag one either :(
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Hmm I could try ordering two and ship you one.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Yeah, and worst case scenario I am pretty sure the airbag column cover (34340AA120ML) will work on non-airbag cars, and it is still available from Subaru in the US at least. As near as I can tell from the parts catalog, the only difference between airbag and non-airbag is that there is an extra access opening in the bottom piece possibly? Somebody should go to a junkyard and compare a 90-91 cover to a 92+ cover and see.
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

im pretty sure that they are different lengths. i installed a non air bag wheel with the air bag trim and the steering wheel rubs the plastics pretty bad
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Hmm I have a 2005 wrx wheel and its 3/4" or more gap now. At first I was bummed about it but I gives me a place to put my fingers when I'm lazy and have my hands through the middle of the top part of the wheel.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

OK, that must be true then. I had an '03 WRX wheel on my '94 orignally equipped with an airbag and there was no extra gap or rubbing. The length is different, so kimo with an airbag wheel would be fine with the airbag plastics whereas bmxkelowna with a non-airbag wheel would need the shorter non-airbag plastics.

Good catch guys. :)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Very interesting. Haven't ordered mine yet.
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

better order yours soon! i got my friend to order me one (34340aa080ml ), it showed up today, one of two left in the usa
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

Non air bag on the right
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

So is that part number you gave me for the non airbag?
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Yep, that shows a lot clearer than the parts diagram that the major difference is in the length to the steering wheel. Good info bmxkelowna.

That pic should show the exact difference between the two part numbers I posted.
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

sorry didnt see the replys till now, yes the black non air bag pn is 34340aa080ml there should only be one left haha