Parting Out 92 Legacy SS Auto

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Parting Out 92 Legacy SS Auto

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Well, even though I would love to resurrect this SS once you see the pics you will know why, so i've decided it's time to part out to help fund my other builds and give some Legacys a chance at staying on the road for a few more years. The car has 183k on the odometer and i'd still be driving it if it wasn't for massive torque bind draining my gas mileage and the cost of premium to keep it running like it should draining my wallet. Most of the interior pieces were stripped out of the car when I purchased it except for the front bucket seats and dash. Just about everything that's on it is up for grabs except the EJ22T block, front crossmember, and harness at this time. If you are looking for anything specific let me know, make an offer, and we can see about shipping.

I wanted to post this first to legacycentral to give all members a chance at parts before I put it up on Facebook so let me know. Car is located in zip 49855 if you want to estimate shipping costs to you. Would love to see the heads, intake, exhaust be sold together to make an na/T dream come true. I have videos of the car running and driving if needed.

Image0723181216b by J King, on Flickr

Image0723181217 by J King, on Flickr

Image0723181217a by J King, on Flickr

Image0723181216c by J King, on Flickr
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
tahiti350
Third Gear

Re: Parting Out 92 Legacy SS Auto

Post by tahiti350 »

front lower seatbelts??
'90 Bermuda Blue L Wagon (Wife's),
Auto, AWD, Now with 275K + miles!

2005 Outback, 2.5 AWD (wife's new daily)
Someperson
Fourth Gear

Post by Someperson »

Valance, possibly full trunk, tails, fogs, markers, fog harness and switches? also rear deck if I get the trunk if you still have it. I'll actually be out by detroit in july if you can meet up for it all.
Blue 94GT dead and steadily parting out.
Silver 93 Fwd N/A sedan undergoing repairs
93 Winestone TW project
92 SS scrapped by my landlord...
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

tahiti - PM'ed you.

Someperson - Fogs lights are gone along with the harness, just the rear fog brackets are left. I am pretty much on the opposite side of Michigan from Detroit (8 hour drive) but I do still have times I make it downstate. Contact me closer to when you know you will be around and I can see what's left/what you want.

John
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
gemiller
In Neutral

Post by gemiller »

Front passenger door, is it pretty solid? I'd be interested to buy and pay to ship.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan
2013 WRX Premium Sedan
AUlmer
In Neutral

Post by AUlmer »

I'd be interested in the grill if its in decent shape! Shipped to 17565?
1994 Postal Legacy Wagon - 2003 Outback 3.0 - 2005 OBP STi
Larry Witherspoon
First Gear

Post by Larry Witherspoon »

Hello Scoobiedoo22 -

It's been a few years and I'm browsing for parts - maybe a 92 turbo wagon auto trans drive shaft

I see you are giving up on a 92 SS, partly due to something described as "torque bind"

I have seen the term used before by others, but have been uncertain about the symptoms

Just from the terminology I think it may be something I experienced some years ago

When turning the steering wheel all the way to lock, while moving slowly, as in a parking lot, it felt like the inside rear wheel was locking up, and skidding thru the turn.

I have an auto tranny.

I did two trans rebuilds, one at an independent trans shop and one at the dealer.

Both found stuff and I tried to fix everything, from worn a rear housing, to even a changeout of my 4.11 limited slip differential - the dealer service tech said his Suby engineer friend swore was the problem.

Nothing Worked !

There is a service manual diagnostic tree which describes the problem, with several solutions, and a trans computer problem as last resort.

I kept mentioning this to the dealer after hundreds of dollars of attempts, then finally found a spare TCM, and changed it.

PROBLEM SOLVED AND NEVER RETURNED !!!

I think something can happen to a trans control module so in a sharp turn, maybe the difference in speeds of the rear wheels, that makes it think there is a slip or loss of traction, and it locks the slow side

So none of the mechanical fixes work, cause there's nothing really wrong except with the interpretation of some kind of message by the computer, which does it's job -

I would not have thought there was any info from the mechanical differential to the computer, but the 1st gen Legacy Turbo Automatic Trans computer is very special - It is independent of the Engine computer, whereas that is not the case for the normally aspirated auto trans computer. Don't know if that applies to other model years

Hope this helps and hope there's a bunch of reply's to this message

Happy New Year and I'm enjoying the rainy for a change So Cal weather - hope the rest of you aren't having it too bad

Larry Witherspoon
Torrance (Southwest LA county)
310-429-4269
Larry Witherspoon
ssspoon@aol.com
Torrance (Los Angeles)
92 Turbo Legacy Wagon
310-429-4269
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Larry,

You may be on to something there. I have a few extra TCU's from 4EAT's that I have pulled from mid-to-late 90's Legacys and 2.5 Outbacks...might be worth a try even going against the hard and fast rule that Subaru TCU's should stay with the tranny they are pulled from as in year/make/model but even then the body, brake lines, gas lines, and strut towers aren't going to last much longer on this salt belt diamond thus the partout.

I think the torque bind issue has been covered here and on legacycentral.org and your post adds another great solution to this problem and I would love to see the other members chime in as this could be a much needed fix for so many of the early 4EAT's..I just don't want this post highjacked. I would suggest doing another formal writeup with details and add it to the Drivetrain folder. Who knows, it may get "stickied". As for your auto driveshaft, the best advice always points towards replacing with a new OEM unit as they are not reliably serviceable. Pricey but worth it. Good luck with the build and glad to see you chiming back in to the bbs...I remember a lot of your old posts thinking back even to when we were on Yahoo Groups.

P.S. - My dad was just down in SoCal for Pomona Swap Meet and Arizona for Barrett Jackson and commented on all the rain you guys have been getting, more than he can remember in all his trips down...I'm sure its a much needed blessing so enjoy it.

John
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
Larry Witherspoon
First Gear

Hey John - WOW - really flattered you remember me and found the post interesting

I will follow your suggestion and copy/paste it to the drivetrain folder

I don't know what stickied and hijacked mean !

I will copy/paste cause I am not able to recall the details, but I'll throw in an extra emphasis that for the BC-BF Turbo Legacy, a BC-BF auto trans computer must (should?) be fitted

I believe those MY91 - MY94 Trans Control Unit part numbers are:

31711 AA821, 31711 AA822, 31711 AB371, 31711 AB372, 31711 AB373, 31711 AB374, 31711 AC051

I'm wanting a driveshaft to enable accurate measurements to be taken by a carbon epoxy driveshaft fabricator

Did your dad pick up a Ford GT or McLaren, or Viper, or what ???
Larry Witherspoon
ssspoon@aol.com
Torrance (Los Angeles)
92 Turbo Legacy Wagon
310-429-4269
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Larry,

Good to see you are still around.

The turbo Legacy & non-turbo Legacy cars both have completely separate TCU's & ECU's. Can you elaborate in the copy & paste post to the drivetrain forum about the differences you are referring to.

Thanks
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

How much for the sunroof glass? Assuming it’s not cracked
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
85hpp
In Neutral

Post by 85hpp »

How much for the rear lamp assembly on the trunk lid shipped to 24501?
Pete - '94 Legacy 2wd/auto - Mobile nightclub in progress
- '02 Legacy Outback Sedan Limited - heated leather seats, sunroof, shiny paint, cherry condition - all things new to me :)
- 2006 Honda Reflex 250cc
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

85hpp, I will see what shape it's in and PM you details early this week.
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
Larry Witherspoon
First Gear

I have a wish for something nobody else in the world wants - The little plastic engine coolant overflow bottle next to the radiator, with the plastic cap still attached to the bottle with a good lanyard !
Larry Witherspoon
ssspoon@aol.com
Torrance (Los Angeles)
92 Turbo Legacy Wagon
310-429-4269
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Larry,

Sure, I have several laying around and can pick the one that's in the best shape. Don't know if it's worth much by the time I add shipping out to you but I will PM you and we can work out the details.

John
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
Larry Witherspoon
First Gear

too cool to drool
thank you muchly
Los Angeles Larry
Larry Witherspoon
ssspoon@aol.com
Torrance (Los Angeles)
92 Turbo Legacy Wagon
310-429-4269
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Last call if anyone from the bbs wants parts....gonna post it elsewhere soon and then break whatever is left for my own parts hoard!
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Did you get rid of this yet?

Would you be willing to cut off one of the ECU connectors with some wiring tails still on them?

SublimeJoe will need some.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Sublimejoe
Third Gear

Post by Sublimejoe »

Thanks, Josh!

Scoobiedoo, I am indeed in need of said connector.
Parts Needed:

Manual Cluster
Front & Rear bumper Chrome Trim
allnines'
Second Gear

Post by allnines' »

PM'd looking for the radio harness
Legacys are like potato chips-you can't stop at one!
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Allnines, pm'ed you back on the radio harness. Sublimejoe, you might have some options for that single ecu plug. Search the forums for OTC part no.T96P-12A650-B or do a quick google search. I know these OTC scan tools come up on ebay cheap sometimes and they are a direct replacement for our 1st gen 4-plug ecus as several members, including myself, have used them for patch harnesses. Your other option would be to look for a used ecu with cut harness and plugs still attached. There is also a post here listing where the JECS 4-plug ecu was used outside of Subaru/FHI with spes on year/makes/models that you may be able to reference to find a cheap used replacement ecu w/plugs.
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
Larry Witherspoon
First Gear

Hello John Scoobiedoo22 -

We started this a while back and never really wrapped it up - I would like to buy your little plastic engine coolant overflow bottle next to the radiator, with the plastic cap still attached to the bottle with a good lanyard ! I think you said you have several laying around but I believe there may be fitment or plumbing issues if not from a BC-BF TURBO car. The parts manual shows the reserve tank assembly complete (including cap) part number for all turbo BC-BF Legacy as 45151 AA040. The tank part number 45151 AA040 is only shown for the turbo vehicles, none of the non turbo vehicles. I do NOT need overnite shipping - snailmail ground is my choice to Torrance (Los Angeles) zip 90504. Am I still in luck ?

Thank you muchly - Larry Witherspoon ssspoon@aol.com
Larry Witherspoon
ssspoon@aol.com
Torrance (Los Angeles)
92 Turbo Legacy Wagon
310-429-4269
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Larry,

I have them, just thought that you would be able to find just the cap new and save some $$$ verses me shipping out the entire unit to you. I did a quick search on ebay, is this the part you are looking to replace????

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-90-18-Suba ... Swt7pXMlXx

I am thinking this was a pretty universal part from 90 on up for the overflow tanks but could be wrong. If it's not the part you are looking for, pm me and I can get you a quote on shipping the entire overflow tank out to you. LMK.

John
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
Larry Witherspoon
First Gear

Hi John

Yes that looks like the part. And the auction info even gives it as a fit for 90 up Baja BRZ Forester Impreza WRX STi Legacy Tribeca in one place and 1990-2004 Subaru Legacy along with all the rest in another place and the 92, 93, 94 Turbocharged Legacies as well as the others in a 3rd place

However the OEM part number and superseded part numbers given in the ebay auction do not match the parts manual - that makes me suspicious

I have kind of a THING for these types of anomalies, so i am just curious enough to spend the $10 to find out whether the manual is correct and some little hairs difference makes it a no fit, or if Subaru technical publishing has fallen down.

There is also the possibility that the OEM cap is permanently "captured" by the bottle neck molding and not replaceable like the ebay cap lanyard collapsible end chingadera shows

my car is in storage at my ancestral homes garage about 15 miles / half hour drive across town

So if your OEM bottle is close at hand please let me know if the cap installation looks permanent, or replaceable - if not maybe some careful drilling could work for the ebay cap, but because that kind of "easy" job sometimes ends up making things worse it would be nice to know if i should get yours one way or another, just in case

Thanx for the link

Larry
Larry Witherspoon
ssspoon@aol.com
Torrance (Los Angeles)
92 Turbo Legacy Wagon
310-429-4269
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Larry,

Will definitely check tomorrow on both my 91SS and the 92 parts car, then reference with the example/pic form the ebay link I send you and let you know for sure. I know what you mean about wanting to get these first gens back to looking like they came off the factory floor!

John
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe