Philips LED map light conversion

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

major_tom
In Neutral

Philips LED map light conversion

Post by major_tom »

Hey y'all!

I recently had to replace the interior map lights in my Legacy due to age - which makes sense, given the age of these old Toshiba bulbs I extracted from the sockets (perhaps even originals!)

These bulbs came ordered from Amazon, which said they were an exact fit. They are Philips DE3175. I was skeptical but willing to put my money up to find out if they were, in fact, useful to our community. Turns out they are drop-in replacements - they appear to contain 3 blue/white LEDs and mount up correctly, if directionally. Note the heat sink on the back - the light will only emit from the translucent side obviously

Let there be light! These LEDs work great and add a touch of modernity to our vintage machines. I paid $23 for both (they are Prime eligible).

Also, here's a bonus shot of my old battle wagon - only 5k short of the magic 300k!

'92 L Wagon "the Yeti" - 295k mi and still running!

Turbo wheels n' Pirelli P6s / KYB GR2s / EBC Greenstuff pads + rotors / Walbro 255 / Apex'i airbox filter
mike-tracy

Re: Philips LED map light conversion

Post by mike-tracy »

Very cool mod! I've had El cheapo LED's in the main cabin light, left that light on over night, and came to a car that still started in the morning. The less power draw alone is worth it for me
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Very cool! I've thought about LED upgrading things, but hasn't been high on my priority list.

Thanks for testing these out!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Me too but don't bother with the ones at the auto parts store. I've tried those and they're too dim.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson