autronic engine management system

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kelley
Vendor
Vendor

autronic engine management system

Post by kelley »

well i finally got it in and got the car running. this was done to a stock engine. I had to install an msd ignition to get the car to fire up. we had to tune it from scratch since there are no base maps for this engine. but we have got it running well. at first we could not get more than 4-5 psi of boost. but at this level it was much stronger than stock. It felt like a strong 200 hp. we finally got it to 13 and with this much boost it felt like at least 250 hp. it was just as strong, I would say, as my vishnu stage 0 wrx (275 hp) with full boost by at least 2500 rpm. we have much more tuning to do.
but it is looking well. I've seen lots of post from people wanting 250 crank hp. i believe this is very attainable with only this system. temps all seemed normal with 13 psi. it even ran up to 16 psi with no problem. the other nice thing about this unit is it is almost the same size as the stock ecu which meant the auronic and the msd could be mounted under the dash.
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

if you don't mind, how much did the ecu and igniton cost?
i have been looking into this setup. what versoin autronic did you go with, smc or sm2?
more info please! :o
92 Legacy Turbo \ 5MT \ Silver
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

250 Hp on 13 pounds of boost. Is this possible? You have no exhaust mods, or any other mods?

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

i got the smc. it's pretty much the same size as the stock ecu.
the sm11 would probobally be relocated.
yes this is the only change i have made to the engine thus far.
I just drove the car after not have driven it for a couple days and I am loving the power. it really made a huge difference and it is not fully tuned yet. I have the boost set to 8psi and it is hitting full boost at 2100-2200 rpm. it feels much stronger than a stock wrx. feels more like my wrx with the vishnu stage0 kit but with much more low end.
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Do they have a website? How do you program it?
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
zak
First Gear

Post by zak »

:shock:

please tell us more! How do you tune the autronic engine management, and is it easy to tune? Was the price worth it? (what was the price of the unit for the legacy turbo?) Is your car still drivable (as in no reliability or other problems)? If you are right about the hp numbers your car is putting down, with even any mods such as a 3" exhaust, the thing would be *very* fast! Anything else you can tell us?

<-----me = giddy. Thank you,
Zak Malbin
1993 Legacy Turbo
Boost +, AWIC, 3" turbo back, intake, trailer hitch, etc.
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

zak, it is not the easiest thing to tune especially starting from scratch. but once I get things dialed in I could most likely make maps for people if interested.
was the price worth it. most definately. a 100 hp gain for the price. wich is the same I spent on my (not installed yet) turboback. which might gain you 20 hp. the exhaust will make much more of a difference with proper engine tuning. that is why this is the first engine mod I have made. no serious driveabiltiy problems. nothing that can't be worked out with some more tuning. the main thing is I have really no pull pass 4500rpm. just havn't been able to tune in that area of the power band. which makes the power all the more amazing. but once I get power all the way to redline
it will most likely be faster than my stage 0 wrx but with v8 low end pull.
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

A) i have a basemap for a WRX sitting on my computer. I could have given you a hand with this. :) (i'll be using the SM2 for my project that's been taking WAY too long to finish)

B) The Autronic does have the option of Autotune. It's a handy little item. All you have to do is set your 3D timing map, then put it on a 4 wheel dyno. Within 4 runs, your fuel map will be complete, and your car tuned.

A VERY sweet ecu, indeed.

-Jason
-Jason Grahn
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

http://www.autronic.com

the smc is the cheaper unit, although still very nice even when compared to the sm2. here is a dealer, and he lives on 8 blocks from my house! http://www.davesport.com

-aaron :o
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

I have that same map. it is gary's correct. It wasn't alot of help for my application. I have the auto tune. It is nice. but have no access to a dyno at the moment. there will be a dyno available next door to me in the next couple weeks. I did get my unit from dave sport. nice guy. he charges about $1,000 to do the basic install and basic tuning.
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

cool! yeah, i talked with dave and he told me to bring my car by his shop. i think i would like to buy/tune from him. I honestly think i am going to go this route, even though i probably wont get it until after my exhaust and then save some more. i would say in march 03. anyway, keep us updated on your progress with it. btw, are you using a laptop to tune it?

JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

HA! Yeah, same map!

If you're looking, there is a 4 wheel dyno in redmond called at a place called "FAME"

they charge 150 for the 1st hour and 100 every hour after last time i checked.. I was up there for a WRX dyno day and all the people that worked there seemed REALLY cool and easy to talk to.

-Jason
-Jason Grahn
kotaro
In Neutral

Post by kotaro »

so, supposedly you could use the "auto tune" option and get results as good as the ones kelley got?

what about if you "auto tune" it when driving on a road? would that be any different than tuning it on a dyno? (I doubt there are any 4wd dynos here...)
whitemr2
In Neutral

Post by whitemr2 »

kotaro wrote:what about if you "auto tune" it when driving on a road? would that be any different than tuning it on a dyno? (I doubt there are any 4wd dynos here...)
I've heard that can be done with very good results, though of course not as good as a dyno. You'd probably still want a wideband O2 sensor hooked up for tuning. If doing the autotune on a road, I'd just tune it slightly conservative to be safe.
EJ20impreza
In Neutral

Post by EJ20impreza »

How did you wire the system in? Is there a "plug in" harness for your car or did you have to hard wire it?

Do you still have A/C and heating?

noah
95 Impreza L - EJ20 swap
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

Are you running a intercooler ? We have been checking this and 250 hp looks more like +18 lb boost as far as we can tell and this would be a bit of a risk.
AL(CO)
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

you don't need 18psi to make 250hp!
:roll:
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

boost is not directly related to horsepower. I am running 10 psi right now. and it is pushing close to 250 crank horsepower. at first i was running 4 psi and felt much stronger than stock by about 50 hp. I believe 300 hp is in the stock engine with just more tuning. but I am not sure I will find out .
I will be changing the exhaust , headers, and turbo probabally before I will be on a dyno. oh and the sti 6 spd is coming soon. thanks to nino.
I am still satisfied with the overall power and have been geting around the same gas mileage i got when the car was stock. which can still be improved.
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

what exhaust are you going to run?

Post by Guest »

whitemr2, thanks for the answer : )
kotaro
In Neutral

Post by kotaro »

oooops, I thought I was already logged in : P :oops:

well again, thanks for you answer whitemr2
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

I bought a stromung turbo back w/ dual tip muffler because I like the look of it and they're pretty cheap for what you get imho.
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

did you get the turboback for a wrx? i thought they would not fit?
how much was it? :o
kelley
Vendor
Vendor

Post by kelley »

I did get a turbo back for a wrx w the exception of a slightly longer center pipe. call nino at nino's auto accesseries. he's got the best prices and he does a great job.
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

Yeah, nino is great! i have bought from him before. thanks kelley. :o