92+ sidemarkers on 90/91

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

92+ sidemarkers on 90/91

Post by 91White-T »

Just bought a set from QuickDrive, and wanted to let everyone interested in doing this that they will fit, but you have to cut the fender a little. The hole on the pre-facelift models isn't big enough to clear the bulb, but otherwise they fit perfectly, oh and obviously, you have to rig up some sort of wiring...
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

To add on the wiring --

The best way to wire them is to connect one wire to the red wire of the parking light and the other wire to the black-with-green-stripe (driver side) or white-with-red-strip (passenger side) wire of the turn signal.

That way, they'll act as both turn signals and parking lights.

Also, W5W bulbs are the brightest mini wedge bulbs that'll fit in there; they have roughly twice the luminous flux as the stock #194 bulbs. W5Ws are also calleed 2825s.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

vrg3 wrote:To add on the wiring --

The best way to wire them is to connect one wire to the red wire of the parking light and the other wire to the black-with-green-stripe (driver side) or white-with-red-strip (passenger side) wire of the turn signal.
Nice! Thanks, I was just gonna keep em as markers, but now they're signals too.
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

That's the biggest advantage of adding sidemarkers to a 90-91 -- you get turn signals that, amazingly enough, are actually visible to the people who need to see them! :)
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

Are they just marker lights stock, or signals too?
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Stock on 92-94s they're just parking lights, which is kind of dumb... but 92-94 front turn signals visible from the side, unlike 90-91 front turn signals.

I rewired the ones on my 93 as described above (the wire colors are actually the same as on 90-91 cars) to be both though.
QuickDrive
Lurker-King

Post by QuickDrive »

Hey man,

Hope you enjoy them. I just couldn't see myself taking the time for that project when there are so many others I'd like to do.

I thought they were blinkers... hrm. I thought that was the whole point to having them so your turn signal could be visible from the side.
R I P-------- 91 Turbo 4EAT --------R I P
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

QuickDrive wrote:Hey man,

Hope you enjoy them. I just couldn't see myself taking the time for that project when there are so many others I'd like to do.

I thought they were blinkers... hrm. I thought that was the whole point to having them so your turn signal could be visible from the side.
Thanks, they look great! Were you gonna put em on your 91? There was a bit of grindin involved to make the hole in the fender bigger, and you can easily make em blink by wiring like vrg3 said above.
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
HomeSlice
Third Gear

Post by HomeSlice »

how can u make it flash and have your headlights on?
MY93BC Legacy Sonora Sand---> black plasti-dip?
MY93GC Impreza Amethyst--> Glacier/aspen/pd White
93BC"edm" 93GC 90BC R.I.P.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

If you wire them how I say above, the sidemarkers will turn on whenever either the turn signal or parking light is on, but not both. So they'll blink with the turn signals when the parking lights are off, and they'll blink oppositely with the turn signals when the parking lights are on, if that makes any sense.
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Did you have the black wire hooked up to both of them, or just the white-with-red-stripe?
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

IronMonkeyL255, I'm not sure I understand your question.

On 92-94 models, here's how it is stock:

Driver side corner lamp has a black wire, a red wire, and a black-with-green-stripe wire.
Passenger side corner lamp has a black wire, a red wire, and a white-with-red-stripe wire.

Both sidemarker lamps have a black wire and a red wire.

What you should do is cut the black wire at each sidemarker, and instead splice that side of the sidemarker into the striped-colored wire of the corresponding corner lamp.