02 WRX Shifter/Linkage

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mTk
no title

02 WRX Shifter/Linkage

Post by mTk »

Installed a stock 02 WRX shifter/linkage today. It is many many times better than my stock shifter. Throws are s bit shorter, but much crisper. My 1-2 shift has definitely improved.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

How hard was the install?

Do you think the improved crispness is a result of having fresh bushings in the linkage?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Hardest part was getting the roll pin out of the tranny, other than that, piece of cake.

I wouldn't doubt that a LOT of the new crispness is from the bushings. The shorter throw probably helps a small bit too.

I plan on getting a set of kartboy bushings, taking them to a machine shop and having new ones made out of aluminum. That should stiffen it out quite a bit.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

mTk wrote:Hardest part was getting the roll pin out of the tranny, other than that, piece of cake.
Yeah, I've looked at it and that's the tricky part. How DID you get that thing out of there? And, is that a single use item- should it be replaced by a new pin?

I think I've got all the parts I need to install my new shifter... very soon.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Should it be replaced? probably, but i didn't.

I ended up pulling off the crossmember (rear two pieces anyway) so i could hit the pit straight on w/ a hammer and roll pin punch.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
HomeSlice
Third Gear

Post by HomeSlice »

that roll pin is a pain in the arse laying on your back under a car on jack stands. i was unemployed at the time with no acess to a lift when i was messin with the wrx setup.pita. i ended up with a c's short shifter new bushings and a kartboy shifter bushing. glad that adapter worked out mtk
MY93BC Legacy Sonora Sand---> black plasti-dip?
MY93GC Impreza Amethyst--> Glacier/aspen/pd White
93BC"edm" 93GC 90BC R.I.P.
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

Thanks to mTK and everyone else who shared info on replacing the stock linkage with WRX parts. I finally had my STi linkage installed. It took me a couple months to realize that without a lift, I was not going to be able to get under there and do it myself. So I had Axis put it in for me.

What an amazing transformation! Much shorter throws, and far more notchy. It's really great. I'm having to relearn the whole feel- especially the 2 to 3 shift. I have to make it much more deliberate. There was so much play in the old linkage, there were actually NO bushings remaining in the "joint," and any other bushings that were still there were absolutely useless.

To recap for those that want to do this...

Use a shift linkage from a WRX, or the STi shift kit (p/n C1010FA001). An additional joint (p/n 35047AC030) is required to match the linkage to the BC/BF transmission. Most will find it necessary to remove the crossmember that supports the rear of the transmission, to gain access to the pin the connects the joint to the transmission.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
darkcrave
Second Gear

Re: 02 WRX Shifter/Linkage

Post by darkcrave »

Just did mine no problem, if you have the punch pins you won't have a proble
With the springpin! Amazing upgrade!
Tune
TMIC
Fuel
Taillight
n2x4 wrote: Seriously, anything will fit. Subarus are LEGOs.