STi Aluminum GC8 Front Strut Tower Brace

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

LegacyT
Fourth Gear

STi Aluminum GC8 Front Strut Tower Brace

Post by LegacyT »

OK, well I finally found an authentic STi GC8 front strut tower brace that popped up on ebay. I'm not very fond of those cheap $15 bars you see all the time. I feel they are just added weight with virtually no gain in rigidity. But since this is an original STi part then there should be some benefits with actual engineering behind it, right??

Well feverishly awaiting to find out, the package arrived at my doorstep some 2 and a half weeks after ordering, wohoo!! I take a rip around the neighborhood with the car to help compare before and after results. I then dig into the package and although the instructions are in Japanese, this thing is a snap to install. though you will need a few simple tools including an 8mm hex wrench.

Installed everything, all is torqued down good and tight. I put down the hood prop and as I close the hood, clunk - hmmmm? What the hell?? Shit!
Turns out this thing isn't as compatable as I've heard. The tallest corners of the bar are hitting against the hood support stampings. I ponder for a minute, then the DIY nature of Legacy tuning emerges - I grab the hammer, mwhaha :twisted: . I also grab a can of shaving cream and spead a thin layer atop the tallest parts of the bar, then close the hood. Lifting it up shows me exactly where I have to pound away, easy enough.
I pound two key area's about a 1/4" in. I then test how the hood closes and viola, she closes just like before, damn I'm good.

With the hood closing I go for a rip. Wow, the differences are quite noticable. As we all know the old Legacy chassis isn't very stiff to begin with. Over bumps, holes and quick turns the interior likes to bitch at us with its creaking and moaning. But after the install alot has vanished and she only complains over the most arrogant of holes. Over large bumps the front end feels stiffer, almost like stiffer shocks have been added, almost, you know what I'm getting at 8) I guess I can attribute this to less overall leaning of the strut towers. All in all, I still can't believe what this little bar has done. And with a lowered Legacy I know the gains would be even more noticable. Definetly worth the money. Now all I have to do is install my Cusco GC8 lower A arm brace and find a good rear tower brace.

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Do you have an el cheapo to compare it to? I dont think they're as bad as you described. I felt a HUGE difference when I put mine on.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I have a cheap steel one and it cornered flatter, more predictably, and felt much tighter. It'll have to go when I put in an AWIC, though.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Ya well, my buudy got a cheap one off ebay for his 96 accord ex coupe. He put it on and felt no difference at all. He thought it was a waste of money. Thats why I decided to buy a better one.

Mark,
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

i wonder if the difference could be that the honda is a slightly stiffer chassis. i wish that werent true but it porbably is. that being said i would go w/the sti piece too. how is the bodywork holding up? i posted in your pic thread but it got a little off topic talking about the color yellow.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

I'd be really interested to know the differences, is there anyone else in the ottawa area that has an el cheapo bar you can borrow for a minute :D Not that I'm doubting your descision, I'd just like to know what you think of both.

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
QuickDrive
Lurker-King

Post by QuickDrive »

The el cheapo ones I bought are the same thickness of the STi Ones and the welds are quite bulky.

I noticed an instantaneous improvement in the front, and when the rear got installed, even more so.

If I'm ever in ottawa with my leg we'll have to do a visual comparison.

I also will probably be removing mine with the install of an intercooler, unless I can find a V2.
R I P-------- 91 Turbo 4EAT --------R I P
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

Will a rear STB off a later Legacy work on our cars? How about off an Impreza?

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

gc/gf impreza for sure, I've been wondering about the bd/bg and be/bh stuff myself though.

QuickDrive
Lurker-King

Post by QuickDrive »

I would assume that the rear off a later legacy will work but will need some dremeling as well. just like the impreza one did.
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

Where did the bar need dremelling?

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
QuickDrive
Lurker-King

Post by QuickDrive »

Not the bar, the car itself.

http://quickdraw.dynu.com/strutbars
ultrasonic
Third Gear

strut tower bar cross reference fit

Post by ultrasonic »

Speaking of strut tower bars, check this out...

Looking for Whiteline STB for GC, to use on BC, I find part number KSB599 for the "forward facing" to clear larger STi intercooler.

What I find interesting is that the same part number is listed for 2002-2004 WRX STi.

Check it out here--> http://www.pdm-racing.com/products/subaru_corner.html
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

besides, I got this STi one at such a good price. I couldn't refuse.

Mark,
createnew
First Gear

Post by createnew »

Are you positive thats a genuine STi part? It looks a lot like the replicas they have on ebay for $25. Was there STi on the instructions too? Not trying to be a punk... just wondering.
Yellow '01 Kaw. ZX-7R (SOLD) :(
Gold '88 Starion ESI-R (Drift Project)
Brgndy '92 Legacy SS, Agency Power Style Headers and Up-pipe (ebay, don't stay together), Underdrive Pully, 5MT conv, mod'd WRX cold air intake and short shifter, 12.5 lb fly
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Yes, the instructions are two pages in japanese with STi logo's everywhere It also came in a bag with an STi sport parts cardboard label on the top.

Mark,
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Where can i buy this strut bar, im so frustrating with all the noise my car produces, i take of , crack creak, turn crack creak GRR!!!!
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

www.get-primitive.com has them...Ask for Paul
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's