Harbor Freight Mini Off Road Lights

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Harbor Freight Mini Off Road Lights

Post by douglas vincent »

Was at the local HF to get a breaker bar when I remembered seeing these on sale for $9.99. The are SKU # 46908 and only available at the stores, not online.

Well, they are made in China. And the fit and finish does show that they are typical HF stuff. However, they do work, all the parts where there and they do look pretty good turned on.

They have 55 watt halogen bulbs in them, are oval shaped for the latest trend/look and took me about 45 minutes to hook up. The glass lenses are tinted that blue color of the fancy headlights but once turned on they definately dont use the same bulbs.

Worth it? I think so but I havent driven with them yet.

UPDATE:

Well, good stuff first. They are bright enough, but barely, to drive by alone. They do light up the side of the road on either side really well but this is because they are OFF ROAD LIGHTS. They dont have any focussing. They shoot out a nice LARGE oval of light. I drove down Skyline Blvd tonight and I really liked them for what they are. I guess you could say they are off road lights that arent that powerful and probably won't get you flashed or pulled over while driving.

Bad stuff now. First, they are bright enough and wide enough, they probably will annoy other drivers unless aimed and adjusted perfectly. Second and MOST IMPORTANTLY, the wire at the fuse connection MELTS! This might be be because the wire is really long and if shortened might make a difference but it basically just needs to be replaced with thicker gauge wire. I will do that this weekend.

Still worth $9.99. Probably

Oh yeah, I also beat a V-6 Camaro tonight. One slow car beating another. Whee!
Last edited by douglas vincent on Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, cheap auxiliary lights (especially driving lights) are often worth the money... I've used low-cost auxiliary lights on a lot of cars.

A lot of times the biggest issue is just that they rust through very easily. Also, some of the non-street-legal ones actually can get dangerously hot when left on, so I'd do an extended test in a parking lot with a fire extinguisher handy or something before using them on the road.

Sucks about the blue lenses though.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

for 9.99 blue lenses are fine. I think i'll check out the local harbor freight on my way home from work.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
legacymax
Second Gear

Post by legacymax »

I bought the fatter square driving lights for $6.99 (i think) for my removable light bar project. They were so cheap i had to buy them. I think i am going to buy some Hella 500s to go with them.
94 legacy Silver Touring Wagon now w/ 5spd, Ground Controls, ej20g, rear VLSD, td05, and edms.
95 impreza Rally car. 3.0 H6
88 Toyota fj62 OME lift.
vrg3
Vikash

Re: UpDate!!!!!! Harbor Freight Mini Off Road Lights

Post by vrg3 »

douglas vincent wrote:First, they are bright enough and wide enough, they probably will annoy other drivers unless aimed and adjusted perfectly.
Uh, these lights aren't meant to be used when other traffic is present. They're meant as auxiliary high beams. If you see any other cars in front of yours -- traveling in either direction, keep them off.

Please.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

Ummmm, I did list that under "bad stuff"
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Cool. I was just clarifying, because the way you described it it sounded like if you adjusted the lights right they would be okay to use with other traffic around.