port and polished throtle body *now with pic*

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

azn2nr
Fifth Gear

port and polished throtle body *now with pic*

Post by azn2nr »

a few weeks ago i bought a throtle from our good friend and owner of the ghetto garage, Matt monson.

about 2 days ago i ported and polished it taking about 3mm off the entire thing as far down to the butterfly plate on both sides i could go. i even gave it a knife edge at the entrance. i also had more material to go if i wanted to but i didnt want to push it too much

after a few days of driving there is a noticeable inprovement in throtle response and high boost kicks more ass than ever before.

i gave my brother a ride last night, he has a 350z and its a fun car no doubt but when he was riding with me i rolled off the line in 1 slowly ,because there was a cop going the other direction, and flored it. all he could say was "wooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" adn ive given him rides at the same boost before.

hopefully ill have pics as soon as my friend sends them to me which will probaly be never but ill get them somehow eventualy.

i cant remember where i put it right now but if i get some time and find my stock one id be glad to sell it to someone to try this mod or mod it for them and sell. its great to have an extra too becasue theres no rush to do it and you can take your time with the port.

for tools i use my neighbors air tools and a carbide bit die grinder, sand rolls and a dremmel powered polishing kit.

edit,

after almost a year ive gotten pic
Last edited by azn2nr on Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

thats cool.

paul eklund extrude honed his intake manifold on his EJ22t and bored the throttle body. said they were the two biggest improvements he made to the engine.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

Any idea how much the extrude hone cost? I talked to those guys at a machining conference a few years ago and checked out the equipment, cool stuff.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

not sure how much extrude hone costs but it looks like some time w/a dremel and a spare TB make for a good return on your investment.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

do you have any pics?
90' legacy built ej257 gt30r 6spd r180 and brembos Bitches 402whp @22psi :D -sexy red
94' Impreza wagon AWD 2.2ltr rally wagon FTW!
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

pics comming soon. my friend is really lazy
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I've got a spare throttle body that I need to shave down, I might as well do this also. No reason not to.

Did you unbolt the butterfly from the throttle body to knife edge it?
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

no. i clamped it open. i knife edged the entrance of the tb not the butterfly plate itself. you need a really steady hand to do the plate on or off the throtle body and imo its not worth the chance of screwing up.
-jason
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I think I am gonna unbolt it and give it a shot on my grinder and just go real slow. That's what spare throttle bodies are for :)
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

good luck. oh and when you do it let us know how you got it off. i did try to unbolt it in the begining but its not as easy as it looks.

that and just an idea but you could take the plate down to a cutlery shop and have them sharpen it. im sure they'd be really good
-jason
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

This may sound silly but I've never taken off the throttle body and intake and really looked at them... I had always thought that these things had to be really to spec and circular. I'm sure you guys are taking it slow and are good but what kind of tolerances are you guys doing, .001, .005, .01? Do you all have any before and after pics? This sounds interesting and easy to do, just time consuming.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

it depends what bits your using for time. i used pure carbide bits that took off alot of material at a time. i was also using air tools. if you use a dremmel and stones youll need alot of lube and time.

when you do it you just go down to where your comfortable. i want to do it again and port it down further getting it thinner than i have it now but you can see how far your going. the metal changes color as you go down so you can see where you missed a spot.

in reality the material is not thick enough for you to get in out of spec circular wise.
-jason
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

It's not gonna do much for us na folk.
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Sounds easy enough to do, I'll have to keep that in mind later down the road when I get another enginer. I'm inclined to agree with Scott that it won't do my NA much but someday I'll have a worthy engine.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

I checked on the extrude hone of an intake manifold..
PnP headjob is around $1k, the extrude hone on an intake manifold would be ~$1350.. :eek:
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

bump for pic finaly
-jason