H&R Springs on a '94 SS

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

H&R Springs on a '94 SS

Post by Subaru_Nation555 »

Well my quest for less body roll took me to tirerack.com where I ordered a set of H&R Sport springs. I was a little hesitant to lower the car on only GR-2s but I was completely broke and AGXs are a lot of money. Anyways I ordered the springs and went to rent a spring compressor from Advance Auto. Low and behold they didn’t rent the kind I needed so since my car was going into the shop for some other stuff I figured I would just have them do it.

My first impression before even getting in the car was damn, what a difference in ride height. The rear looked good but I thought the front was a little low. But that all became trivial when I took it for a test drive. My immediate impression was wow, this is stiff. Arlington county (where I live) loves to put speed bumps or as they call them speed humps, on residential streets. I can normally take them at around 20-30 mph. Completley unintentioally I drove over one with the new springs. Needless to say that was way to fast and I learned my lesson.

The best part if these springs is that they give me the performance I want for the occationsional sprited driving and the comfort to tackle all the around town bumps. I am really pleased. I would have liked to keep the car a little higher off the ground but maybe a set of AGXs will help that later on. I would definatly recommend these to anyone who doesn't want the harsh ride of coilovers and is on a budget. I am very satisfiecd. Now all I need is a front sway bar and an alignment. If anyone wants a pic of the car lowered let me know and I can help ya out.
'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
snowjob
Second Gear

Post by snowjob »

I've got the H&R's on the fronts of my beast and I love them, I've got WRX Wagons on the back, it works really nicely and great in the twisties, I agree, buy them.
04 modified XT
99 LGT Limited
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Can you post pics of your car? I'd like to see them! That was the setup that I was planning to run on my car.
'94 TW
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

yup, running H&R with the AGX's, and even though I lost an inch, the handling is SOOOOOOO worth it.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

93Leg-c wrote:Can you post pics of your car? I'd like to see them! That was the setup that I was planning to run on my car.
Yeah, Ill try to snap a few tomorrow.
'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

Heres a sample of some pics with the car lowered. More can be found at my gallery: http://www.pbase.com/teimerf/lowered

'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Sacha--thanks for the pics!

Yours is the first set of pics I've seen that I know have the GR-2 / H&R setup. That's the exact clearance I want for my car. I know the H&R springs are good, and like you, the GR-2s fit my budget. You've sealed my decision for me! Thanks!

BTW, aren't the AGXs the same height as the GR-2s? If you put the AGXs on, wouldn't you stay at the same ride height?
'94 TW
sullione
Second Gear

Post by sullione »

Hey, I've had that setup for about a year or two. I just don't have the pics to prove it. It is a very good setup IMO. :D
James
1991 Legacy LSi sold!!!
2003 Infiniti G35
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

93Leg-c wrote:BTW, aren't the AGXs the same height as the GR-2s? If you put the AGXs on, wouldn't you stay at the same ride height?
Yeah I don't think they would make much of a difference.
'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

Just wanted to update this thread with a picture of the springs on my car in case anyone was curious about the ride height. I'm still liking them but the car rolls and is begging for a front swaybar/endlinks.

or if the picture doesn't work:

http://www.pbase.com/subaru_nation555/image/91378965
'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Neither pic nor link works for me. :)
'94 TW
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Here's one with them!

93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

:whistle: Wow! what a clean car! Really nice! Thanks for posting the pics!
'94 TW
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Thanks! I run 205/50/16's too so if you run 55's your fender gap will be even less...Still wish is was .5 inches lower! I know, bad, bad, bad for handling and suspension geo...These handle great BTW.

AW
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

Love those wheels!
'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
boarderbw
In Neutral

Post by boarderbw »

i have the h&r and gr-2 combo on my car and it is nice but the agxs would be better because they are stiffer than the gr-2s and the h&r springs have a fairly high compression rate so they should have a stiffer strut
1991 legacy turbo