Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management

Post by Legacy777 »

I had bought this book on a recommendation over a year ago. I finally read it since I was getting into tuning my car. A lot of the modern day engine management stems from the original Bosch systems. This book goes over those systems.

While I wouldn't consider this book the best book out there, it does go over the basics of fuel injection and the different systems.

I did learn some things. For example, a 3-way catalyst works better with a slightly richer mixture or with a slight excess of air, which is why some cars have an air pump. That also may give insight as to why subaru's tend to run a little rich. It also may explain why the newer cars have an external air pump that pump air into the exhaust.

So there's some good fundamentals in the book. He speaks mostly of n/a engines.

There is a section on "high performance" tuning....however the jist of the section is that Bosch did a pretty good job at setting things up, and modifying it isn't too easy, blah, blah.

Overall....for the price it's worth a read. You'll probably pick up a few things you didn't know.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

What newer cars have air pumps? I haven't seen one in years. We used to rip them out back in the day as a 'first thing' mod.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

There was a new 05 or 06 forester XT at the dyno day the other weekend. It had one of these pumps.

The ones you're thinking of on the older cars may be different.....they may not be though.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

All of the 06 Subaru's have air pumps.

Go pop the hood on an STi at your local dealer, and look behind the battery. Air pump yo.

Probably helps the cat be slightly more efficient.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That, and they can probably lean the mixture slightly which will increase mpg.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Is it electric?

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

yeah, pretty sure it's electric.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Ah, I remember seeing a few of these now, I think. Makes sense that's what they were. The old air pumps were ugly engine-driven accesories. Learn something new everyday.

Steve
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Ooh, I wonder if those pumps could be used to pull a vacuum on the crankcase.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah that'd be pretty cool if they could....then you could eliminate/reduce the current PCV plumbing, while still maintaining good crankcase vacuum.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

subytech
Second Gear

Post by subytech »

Heres another way to look at it. If you can only have a certain % of emissions in your exhaust and you cant meet that % the easiest thing you can do is create more exhaust with out the emissions and the easiest way to do that is pump in plain old refreshing air!
92 Legacy Turbo, 5sp MT, Early Large CC 20G heads, Ported custom clocked td04, Cobb catted DP, Injen SS 3" exhaust, Turbosmart MBC @ 10psi, Apexi 20g intake, custom FMIC, Fidanza 11lb flywheel, stock 05 WRX clutch