Eur-Asian Auto Parts

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

vrg3
Vikash

Eur-Asian Auto Parts

Post by vrg3 »

http://www.eur-asian.com/

Eur-Asian Auto Parts is a junkyard in Englewood, CO. I ordered a transmission from them. I don't have it yet, but I thought I'd give everyone a warning.

I first emailed them on the 4th and was impressed by how quickly their representative, Mike, got back to me on all my questions, even emailing me back after hours on the 4th and before hours on the 5th. Most emails were replied to within like 20 minutes. So on the 5th I called to place the order and gave them my credit card information.

We were uncertain about how to deal with shipping, since I didn't have a commercial address, but Mike said he understood the urgency of my need for the transmission (since without it I have no way to get around) so we decided together to have the shipper hold it at the terminal and then if I couldn't bum a ride to the terminal I could pay the extra residential delivery charges and have it delivered to my house. He repeated more than once that his priority was just to get the tranny on its way to me so I could get back on the road.

He ended the conversation saying someone would call me to let me know where it would have to be picked up, and that it would take 4 to 5 business days for it to reach me.

The 9th rolled around and I had received no calls, so I sent them an email asking if I could get a tracking number and information on where it would have to be picked up. About five hours later, I got a response saying he'd get them for me the next morning (the 10th).

I got no email in the morning. So I called that afternoon. I was put on hold for five or ten minutes, and then asked what I was calling about. I explained, and was put on hold for five or ten minutes again, and then asked again what I was calling about. He asked for my phone number and said he would get the tracking info and call me back.

He did not call me back. I called again just before closing and asked for Mike, and was put on hold for another five or ten minutes before I was told he was unavailable and that he'd call me back if I left my number. I left my number.

He did not call me back. I called again this morning, the 11th, and asked for him. I was put on hold, and after about five minutes I hung up and called back. This time I just asked the gentleman who picked up the phone to help. He transferred me to shipping, and shipping gave me the tracking number.

The tracking information reveals that the transmission was shipped yesterday -- Tuesday the 10th, a full three business days after I paid. In fact, it was shipped at 4:45 pm, which was after my last phone call on that date.

They estimate delivery to happen sometime in the middle of next week (which is actually more than the 4-5 business days from pickup that Eur-Asian had originally told me).

Cliffs notes: They're your friend until they have your money, and then they slack and lie and rather than admit it they dodge your calls.

I'll post again with updates.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That sucks dude!

Thanks for the heads up.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

Sry to hear about that. I'll avoid dealing with them even tho i've never heard of em.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Any news on this? Did you get the tranny?
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Oh, yeah, I forgot to post about it....

The transmission did arrive in Brook Park, OH (about half an hour from my house), on Tuesday. Contrary to what Mike had promised me, neither he nor any shipper contacted me about it. I did speak directly with the freight carrier and bum a ride down there to pick it up, and got it back to my place.

It seems like it's in okay condition for a junkyard tranny. A lot was bent or broken (stripped clutch fork rod plug, bent tranny mount, crushed dipstick holder, dented propshaft receptacle, chewed-up starter flange, etc) but I was able to deal with it all by either swapping pieces from my original transmission or by carefully unbending things.

My roommate helped me get the tranny in that evening, and it's in the car, but I haven't had the time to finish buttoning things up. It was oddly harder than usual to get the engine and transmission to finally come together. Even after they were pretty well lined up (both bottom studs were engaged, we could thread bolts in the top two holes, and the dowels were pointing directly at their holes) we couldn't push them together. We ended up gingerly using the threaded fasteners to pull the transmission onto the engine (she alternated between the upper two bolts while I alternated between the lower two nuts), and they mated without drama. Hopefully that'll be okay. The throwout bearing clipped easily into the pressure plate afterwards.

So I'll post again when I get the car started, but it looks like aside from the delay and disrespect I did get what I paid for.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Well, got everything together, and the tranny is working as advertised. Despite the bad experience with Eur-Asian, it's good to have my car running again so I'm happy. With any luck, I won't have to find out how well Eur-Asian stands behind their advertised 6-month warranty.
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

Was it a NA tranny or turbo tranny? And how much did they get you for? including shipping?
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Sorry to hear about having to deal with the junkyard but glad to hear it worked out for you.

And did anybody else notice -
... she alternated between the upper two bolts while I alternated between the lower two nuts...
She... way to go V ;).
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

It's a turbo transmission, Doug. I paid $550 including freight.

Thanks, Lee...
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Right on Vikash! Glad it's all back together and working.

Funny that your clutchfork rod cap was stripped, the one on my new tranny was too.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Thanks, Matt.

Yeah... I guess junkyards just don't usually have 10mm allens lying around. Or they are so tired of trying to figure out the pull-type clutch that by the time they realize what needs to be removed they're not careful.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Ooops, actually mine was cross threaded, not stripped.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

10 mm is one of the few metric sizes that doesn't have a close SAE match. Most of their tools will likely be SAE. 3/8 isn't close enough for 10mm, but a lot of others have real close matches that are interchangeable in most cases (5/16,8mm; 7/16,11mm; 1/2,13mm; 9/16,14mm; 5/8,16mm; 11/16,17mm; 3/4,19mm; 15/16,21mm).

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, you're probably right, Steve.

Matt, what did you end up doing? Could you run a tap through the threads?
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

Turbo tranny, that explains it.

I was worried you had to have a NA tranny shipped!
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Why? Just because they're so common?
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

vrg3 wrote:
Matt, what did you end up doing? Could you run a tap through the threads?
I ended up forcing it. It took me about 45 minutes of sitting on top of my engine and cranking it 1/32 of a turn each time. I wasn't a happy camper at that time, to say the least. :evil:
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Jeez, that sucks. At that point I think I'd seriously consider just sticking a cork in it.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I was worried about the cap keeping the slotted end of the clutch fork rod engaged. If it worked out it could be bad news.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, I wasn't serious... I'm just sayin' I understand the frustration you're talking about.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Hehehe, I know you weren't serious about the cork thing. ;)

But that was the reason I went through hell to make sure it was all the way in.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah, it's important... Hopefully your forcing it in restraightened the threads.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Yeah hopefully. I'm a little worried about getting it back out the next time I need to swap something.....which seems to be entirely way to often. :roll:
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]