Super Rupair in Boulder: bastards

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

dzx
Fifth Gear

Super Rupair in Boulder: bastards

Post by dzx »

This is a long post.

A few months ago I took my car in to do a baseline pull on the dyno but the car was acting up and I wasn't able to get a baseline. So we pulled the car off of the dyno and one of the techs plugged in a scantool. After looking at it for a moment, he tells me that the computer in the car is for a different legacy than what i have. So Harvey was a nice guy and cut me a deal on the dyno pull. So I went home and pulled the serial number off of the ecu and had it checked out. It turned out that the computer was the correct one for my car and that the tech had somehow either misread the scantool or just messed up. In the meantime, the check engine light is still on.

So today I went in because i finally replaced my broken wastegate and wanted to have the codes pulled for real this time since I knew that it was the correct computer in the car. I went in and the guy at the desk printed up the invoice, looked at it for a second then had me sign it to authorize them to check it. So I wandered off to talk to Harvey.

They get my car into the bay and plug in the scantool and the tech tells me right away that its a bad pressure sensor. We get to talking and he has a cool 2nd gen. legacy n/a with a turbo and intercooler so he shows me it. So I walk back up to the front service area.

The guy that wrote me up hands me my keys and tells me that it will be 4x.xx dollars. So I told him I was hoping it would be free since they messed up last time and didnt actually pull the codes. Exact words were: "I was hoping it would be free since it got messed up last time." then I told him Harvey was there and could vouch for the guy telling me the wrong computer was in the car.

At this point the guy starts getting rude with me. WTF. He manages to spit out that he doesn't have the authority while pulling his attitude. So, I asked him who did, still being polite. He listed two guys and then went off to talk to one. He comes back and tells me the best he can do is some other rate charge and the total would be 30 something dollars. I asked him if I could go talk to the manager then and asked if he was still in the bay even though I could see him. He continues with his attitude and is like fine, whatever. So I walk back to the manager and explain the situation to him and tell him there should be notes about the last time on the hardcopy and he says he will check it out and talk to Harvey real quick.

At this point I walked back to the new part desk and the manager pulls Harvey away for a moment to talk to him. Harvey comes back acting strange saying something about I didn't tell him that. So now my curiousity is peaked about what the manager asked him, so I ask him after the manager walks away. Apparently the guy at the front desk told the manager that I said Harvey told me the test would be free. Now I'm getting pissed off. The manager comes around to my side and puts my keys down. " Here are your keys and we are never going to work on your car again." Excuse me? So I took the keys and walked out, then thought about the sales guy telling the manager that I said Harvey told me it would be free. So I get pissed off again and walk back in to where the manager is putting away the hard copy.

"For the record, I never told anyone that Harvey said it would be free." I told him. He said ok, but when you signed this copy, you agreed to pay the 40 dollars, and he shows me the paper I signed. The paper now has a 40 dollar charge for scantool written in pen in the big empty space in the middle of the paper Now I'm really pissed because that wasn't on there when I signed the paper or I would have asked about it before I signed it. There was no chance that I could have missed it earlier either. The salesman had written it on the paper after I signed it and had walked out. The manager said he would ask the salesman about it because "that's not right if he did" I said fine and left.

Talk about thieves. Another issue i had with them was I wanted a flange welded to a piece of pipe and they told me it would be 78 dollars. I ended up taking it to meinke after waiting two days for them to weld it and Meinke charged me 20 dollars. I don't feel like I will be doing business with SuperRupair again and I would advise against it for anyone else.
:evil:
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

reminds me of nice car.
they have given me faulty advice that was very costly, and recently changed the charge on me to diagnose an electrical problem.
they told me on the phone that it would be $70 an hour or whatever, talked to em while they were working on it, and they were like, "ah only took a half hour." when I go to pick the car up they were like "okay, that will be $78." I called em on it and they came up with some bullshit excuse. I was way late for work so I said fuck it and payed em.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Sucky story, dude.

But am I misunderstanding something? Why did you take the car to them just to find out the trouble codes?

I would check your trouble codes again.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

Exactlly why I quit working on the older cars.
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

The techs and people there are generally pretty good. It's the manager and service writers that I really did not like.

I didn't have a laptop available to pull the codes so I took it there.

At one point I agreed to pay the lower price but realized I had left my wallet at home(it was early in the morning). So then I just asked to talk to the manager and had the rest of the ordeal.

I'm glad I didn't just buy a new computer after they told me it was the wrong one. Thanks to the members that were able to tell me it was the right ecu in the car.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You don't need a laptop; have you really never read Josh's code-pulling instructions?!
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
R-Inge
In Neutral

Post by R-Inge »

206er wrote:reminds me of nice car.
they have given me faulty advice that was very costly, and recently changed the charge on me to diagnose an electrical problem.
they told me on the phone that it would be $70 an hour or whatever, talked to em while they were working on it, and they were like, "ah only took a half hour." when I go to pick the car up they were like "okay, that will be $78." I called em on it and they came up with some bullshit excuse. I was way late for work so I said fuck it and payed em.
It is a flat rate shop which means they charge a flat rate for the labor irregardless of the actual time it takes. Most shops work that way.
~R-Inge
1994 Legacy L Wagon, N/A Spruce Green.
Legwerx
In Neutral

Post by Legwerx »

Yeah, I stopped dealing with them. I know the owner, he's a cool guy, but the service writers are stupid.....

I only like the Parts guys, and harvey......

I usually just talk direct to harvey for advice, but I wouldn't let anyone there touch my car.....

I'll go to suba performance before them....

Rick
1990 L Wagon
EJ20 short block, 2.2T heads, legacy turbo, stock 2.2 ECU. Full 3" turbo back exhaust, JDM AWIC, 8 psi.
Runs Great!!!