Supply your own parts going to a mechanic

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mvons
In Neutral

Supply your own parts going to a mechanic

Post by mvons »

I lived in North San Diego county and had what I thought was a good mechanic. However, when I moved to a rural area I had to get organized on maintenance as I was far from decent service.

I discovered in reviewing my past mechanic invoices a variety of prices charged for parts. $120 for water pump, $200 for the O2 sensor!! Yep the mechanic made out on the parts.

Through a AAA tow I found a wonderful mechanic that loves me supplying the parts. It is rural too and parts are 2 hours away otherwise.

If a shop says "we can't warrantee the work if you supply the parts". That is bull. They just can't make additional markup! If the part and the box state Subaru OEM, there should be no problem. I avoid those shops.

For smog, yes the California 2 year hassle, I go down to Chula Vista where the prices are cheap being so close to the border.

The dealers in California are the biggest rip off. Even Tire Pros allow me to bring in parts because of the extra charge dealers charge here.

I buy online from a Tacoma dealer for Subaru and Buttler Indianapolis for Toyota. Napa for modene radiators, axiles.

We don't do the timing belt, water pump, or axle thus the need for a mechanic. Axle I replace using Napa lifetime part, and the labor is $80 instead of $100 for cv-joint.
1991 2.2L Legacy L 2wd Auto 422k miles - waiting to have head gasket and trannie seal replaced.
RIP 1993 2.2L Legacy L AWD MT Sedan 280K prior abused.
1993 2.2L Legacy L AWD MT Wagon, got at 184k, rebuilding - burnt exhaust valves
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

My mechanic just does the labor for me. I hand him parts, he does it, I give him $60 an hour.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

If its a genuine part, I love it when people bring it to me. Often my time is worth more than the mark up is. But if its some crap part from Ebay, or used off nasioc. I'll bend ya over if it doesnt work right. ;-)
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

I supplied a new OEM steering rack boot to a mechanic a few years ago. No problem and less waiting since they didn't have to find/order it.
90 L+ wgn