CES Turbo Back Racing Exhaust

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

CES Turbo Back Racing Exhaust

Post by Dynamic Entry »

I bought the set-up with a divorced down pipe from Dubrex on eBay. After letting it sit around for a solid month I decided to fork out the cash and let a local performance shop put it on for me. I know most people on this forum would scoff at incurring a $200 cost for labour like this but it is minus 30 degrees and I am not set up to deal with many complications.

Regardless, the system is sweet! For the record, with a test pipe deleting the cat converter it fits my 92 5MT SS perfectly. The length is spot on. One hanger was cut off because it was in the way but it still hangs solidly throughout. Driving in the city, on the highway and at the track I have not heard any rubbing. It is very close in sections but no problems yet. Weather has been consistently cold though. I won't rule out the possibility of hot summer days and puddles resulting in something... but so far, very good!

Some other changes were made the same weekend - new plugs and wires, AC belt removed - so I can't necessarily attribute all the change to the exhaust; but my motor previously felt like it really didn't want to approach 6000 RPM, now it is really smooth power throughout and high RPM can feel natural to red-line. My throttle response is noticeably better but (call me crazy) a lot of the difference I felt came from removing the AC belt which happened before the CES went on......

As far as power increase, definately no Dyno info to compare and its hard to feel because the roads are still snowy so traction is still the limiting factor in performance but it made a difference and I am looking forward to a TD05-16g which will really appreciate the high flowing exhaust

Some may think it is expensive, but I figure I have the best exhaust available and I should never have to upgrade no matter what I do in the future. Plus stainless should outlast my frame! Thats just a good investment!

Thanks Dubrex!
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
dubrex
In Neutral

Post by dubrex »

Dynamic: Good to hear the exhaust went on smoothly. Was the middle hanger removed? If you do have any rubbing issues you might consider replacing the motor mounts. They degrade over time and may allow the motor to pitch and rotate. This can put some stress on an aftermarket system with no flex coupling. If you decide you are after a built TD05 you may want to inquire with Blouch Turbo @ blouchturbo.com They have a solid rep and reasonable prices.

-Jon
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

That sounds great. Did you get Ulimited Performance to put it in? I would like to hear it in person some day.
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
TheDaveler
In Neutral

Post by TheDaveler »

What model was it originally designed for?
91 SS 5sp ~ 90 Wagon w/air susp ~ 92 Loyale 03 WRX - ap stage 2 ~ 08 Legacy 2.5i
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

TheDaveler wrote:What model was it originally designed for?
His was made for the BC/BF Legacy's (89-92 RS, 91-94 SS)
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

yup, pure bolt on designed for my chassis

I had SpeedTech (local shop) install it and I never had any rubbing issues in all conditions and I have been pretty hard on the car at RallyX.

two weeks ago after dropping the tranny for clutch and flywheel and putting it all back together (AKA 23 hour hell marathon) I ran into rubbing on the rear axle consistently but ONLY after the car was at full operating temp.

I realized/remembered that one hanger in the middle never was hooked up initially but I had connected it myself this time and it raised the rear end 1/4".

dropped it down again and back to no issues!
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

These exhausts are still not a complete bolt-on/plug-n-play. But that's my opinion, and hearing tid bits about others using it. Some still need a little bit of tweaking.

Some of this I contribute to the fact that our cars weren't designed for 3" exhaust, the other I contribute to inconsistancy in the manufacturing process. There may be some differences from Subaru, but I would suspect more inconsistancy with the CES exhaust then with a mass-produced vehicle.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm