The Amazing VGR3 SCAN TOOL!

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

The Amazing VGR3 SCAN TOOL!

Post by douglas vincent »

OK, first off, it "seems" spendy. $240 Wow. For a gameboy.

But thats cause we older legacy owers are cheap bastards!!!! :-D

It is $240 WELL SPENT!

I own a 1990 Wagon and Sedan, and a 1992 Wagon. The scanner read all ECUs.

I was able to instantly clear all trouble codes (CELs) and then drive and see what popped back up as the REAL problem! And in the case of my daily driver wagon, I was able to clear a code that I didnt even know was there for ONE FLIPPING YEAR (*a weird idle code) and now I can actually accelerate past 4000 rpm!

It does all this stuff!

It graphically displays all the parameters that my computer-based scan tool can read (plus a little more):
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

It reads trouble codes, too:

Image Image Image Image Image Image

And lets you clear the memory (resetting codes as well as learned spark/fuel/etc stuff):

Image Image

Everything he says it can do, it does. Period.

There are a few quirks. Sometimes it doesnt start because it wasnt turned off before the key is turned on. Big deal, turn the car off, the unit off and start over. The 1992 wagon IAC scan tool guage doesnt work, but the numerial read out does. Thats it for problems for me. :)

Love it! I do wish there was some way to log it, or at least have a "max" record set. But then again, I didnt have squat before.

Money well spent.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I stole VGR3 pictures for this post, if he minds, he can come and argue with me. haha
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Yeah, I highly doubt Vikash will be upset that you are using his pictures while praising his device. :mrgreen:
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Thanks for the review, Doug. You're welcome to use those pictures. =)

Can you explain a little more about the not starting quirk, though? It shouldn't be like that -- you're supposed to be able to leave the Juice Box power switch in the "on" position at all times. That way the scan tool will turn on and off automatically with the ECU.

Let me look into the IAC gauge issue; if I find a bug I'll fix it and send everyone firmware updates.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

I'll be looking to pick one up in the next 3-4 weeks. Douglas just made up my mind for me on that matter. :twisted:
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Sweet! I wish I would have had one of those when I had my SS.

Good work Vikash! :D
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Don't worry Matt, you'll end up with another one eventually. So I'll have one you can use when you purchase it!
Jason
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Thanks, Matt!

Jason - Cool. Hopefully I'll have ironed out whatever quirks there may be. =)
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Always willing to support a good cause!
Jason
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Damn, Vikash, I wonder if you could make a digital dash with multiple displays like the new GT-R. Might be a good market for that.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Anything could be made. I'm not good at making things pretty, though.

You mean this GT-R dash?

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/pics ... R_dash.jpg

It wouldn't be very hard in principle. It just wouldn't be cheap. You'd need lots of transducers, a little processing unit, and a display. The hard part (for me) would be making it a nice pretty package.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Something along those lines, but more as a primary info display. Perhaps something with a choice of styles more along the lines of the Lamborghini Reventon. Making it pretty is what I can do. I was thinking something similar to the above for the gauge set on the tandem-seat vehicles I was designing as my area for gauges was limited and I wanted something more interesting than the S2000 I was going to use as drivetrain, interior donor. The Cessna would be very easy to incorporate as it's a huge flat space, but the view straight ahead will already be taken by the IR camera display and large GPS flanked by standard round gauges on the sides (this also allows me to come up with a camouflage cover to hide the electronics from thieves.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

That is so awesome! Q though where does it plug in??
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Well, maybe I can help with your new vehicle's instrumentation when the time comes, Steve!

Eric - It plugs into the Select Monitor port. It's a 9-pin connector under the dash kind of between the steering column and the center console.

It's the same one as the one my other scan tool uses:

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~v/b10scan/
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

+1 to vrg3.
Not only for the scan tool, but for all the prompt help given to fix a minor problem.

Now let me say that this thing is awesome! It'll be a great help in diagnosing any problems and you can keep an eye on any engine parameter while you're driving.

Definately worth it for anyone who's wondering.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

The scan tool is a huge help. I sorted out some related trouble codes easily and reset the memory the first time I turned it on.

And it fits on the console tray very nicely so you can see it while driving.
90 L+ wgn
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Here's some pics of how it looks in a non-airbag car. The screen protector flips over to act as a stand.
The ribbon cable easily tucks into the trim gap.

90 L+ wgn
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I have been having some "problems" getting the unit to "turn on" properly. This is in all 3 vehicles I own. HOWEVER, all 3 vehicles have 200,000 miles plus on their ignition/key. So what I have found is that there must be a single wire/contact that must be "just right" when the key is turned on, or the unit will simply "stall". Not the units fault at all.

Another great find due to the scan tool. My oxygen sensor in two of my vehicles starts out in the middle, then dumps down to .00 and stays there. Time for new O2 sensor!!!!
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Doug, it shouldn't be like that. The scan tool is powered by the same ignition relay circuit that powers many other parts of the engine management system.

When I build my next set, I'll send you another one and you can send yours back to me so I can figure out the problem and repair it.

But, yeah, it's nice to see the problems directly, isn't it?
snowcat
In Neutral

Post by snowcat »

A long overdue thanks to Vikash! I bought my tool from him about 3 months ago and love it! While there seem to be a few small problems here and there (more about the limitations of 1st gen ecu's and juice boxes themselves) it works just like in the pix and I absolutely would not trade it for the world. Such a great tool!

Pd. by paypal and had it in my hands w/in a week of cleared payment, so for anyone that worries about dealing w/vikash I can tell you - don't.

Thanks much vrg3 for a great benefit to the legacy central community!
4 wheel drive, yes! 4" clearance under the chassis, oh no!
Bane
First Gear

Post by Bane »

man o man, that is just so freakin sweet!

vrg3 check your pm's!

:D
James L

'07 Magnum SXT - not stock
-
'93 Legacy Turbo SS - 5spd conv, vf34, intercooled, K&N, dual stage mbc 11/16psi, hks 3" turbo-back w/hi-flow cat, kyb's, ADR 18" rims w/225/35/18zr's, 7" touch screen w/race camera