KOYO RAD / Permacool 20x10 tranny cooler on a 4eat

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BXSS
Fourth Gear

KOYO RAD / Permacool 20x10 tranny cooler on a 4eat

Post by BXSS »

While installing the headers/16g on my SS the plastic fitting on the radiator connecting to the coolant res. broke.

Rather than patch it, or spend $ on another plastic tanked stock sized Rad I called IPT - who said I could use a manual tranny rad. with an external tranny cooler - so I got the BIG Koyo Radiator.

I had a small tranny cooler (16"x5") on the car plumbed inline with the stock tranny-cooler in the rad, but decided to upgrade to the 20"x10" to make sure the tranny was kept cool.

This combo seems to be working well with tranny temps holding @ about 150*, & no probs from the KOYO.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Pictures and part number of the upgraded tranny cooler please? Subaru part?
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

This is not a Subaru part - I got it from Summit Racing (there are just 2 perma-cool tranny coolers listed in the catalog I got the bigger one).

I do not have any pics of this set-up yet but could get some soon.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

How do you tap the tranny to install? Wonder if our trannys would work a little better under stress with one of these bad boys? Track days?
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

Its an auto so lines are already on the tranny & the fluid is pumped for circulation.

Did you think it was a 5spd?
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Yep. Nevermind.
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

You could probably rig something up to cool the tranny fluid on a 5spd.

I know folks install differential coolers which I think use a fitting/Banjo bolt on the drain that go into a pump that pushes the oil through the cooler & back into the diffs fill port.

Maybe something like this could be fabbed for the tranny.....
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Other than low fluid I've never heard of a 5 speed overheating.

That said I was at a Subaru shop and they had a wrx 5 speed cracked open that was amazing. The guy ran out of fluid and kept pushing the car harder and harder until it wouldnt move anymore. He actually melted all the non metal parts inside the trans! The speedo drive gear was the coolest, it looked like some freaky chandelier with long strings of goop hanging down.

BXSS: Have you considered installing a temperature sensitive bypass so the trans isnt overcoooled?
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Interesting - my second gear synchros seem to get more "crunchy" in the hot, hot heat (good band name).
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

I was actually planning on putting a thermostat/bypass on th oil cooler of my OBS-T before next winter, but did not really think about putting one on the tranny of the SS.

I'm going to monitor trans temps & see how it runs for now.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T