magnaflow NA exhaust manifold+Catalytic converter

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

white91wagon
In Neutral

magnaflow NA exhaust manifold+Catalytic converter

Post by white91wagon »

I purchased this from ebay a couple months ago because my original was old and had cracked. The price was very reasonable ($253.00) plus free shipping.
Most of the other brands that i looked at retailed from about $350-$500. Seemed like a pretty good deal, and looked like it was designed a lot better than the original.
However i ran into many problems installing it. I figured i would replace all the gaskets, hardware and hangers while i was it also.

Here it is
ebay link

First off the spread of the manifold pipes that bolt to the engine where about half a inch to narrow:(.
Its like they pulled it out of the welding jig way to soon and it warped.
Just from seeing this made me wanna send it back, but i had my exhaust all apart and figured i could spread them a little.

So i got my torch and a high lift jack and went to work. I was able to heat one of the bends justa little on the drivers side and slip the jack in between and flex it apart just a little.
I still had to to give it a little pushing and pulling to get it over the studs however :twisted:

This wasn't the only problem though. Besides that all the holes were over sized for some reason.
I don't know why they did that, it just made everything more difficult.
I had to use bigger nuts for the manifold studs and bigger bolts for the joint after the catalytic converter.
So much extra work for a OE designed piece lol.

So all in all this is pretty much a piece of junk and takes way more effort to install than necessary. However, the pipe diameter is much larger than stock and i did notice some performance gain.
I really need to call Magnaflow and tell them they have a major problem with this part, but i haven't got around to it.
It just makes no since that they would oversize everything like that. Everything else was pretty high quality including the welds. Maybe i just got a lemon idk.
I haven't had any problems with leaks or anything, but i had to use kind of a custom gasket for the joint after the converter though.
This is because the groove that its suppose to sit in was far to deep for the stock gasket.
Way to many modifications needed in my opinion :roll:
SubyFusion
Second Gear

Re: magnaflow NA exhaust manifold+Catalytic converter

Post by SubyFusion »

I was looking at this as a replacement for my stock header, seems like a good deal besides all the modifications!!!
1992 Legacy L (AWD )(5MT)[2.5RS Trans] EJ22T Swap in Progress