1990-2004 Legacy Upgrade Rear (and front) Wiper Blades

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jeff618
In Neutral

1990-2004 Legacy Upgrade Rear (and front) Wiper Blades

Post by jeff618 »

In the USA (not sure of other countries), there is an upgraded rear wiper blade available for the 1990-2004 Subaru Legacy's odd size. The Trico NeoForm Beam Blade is one of the only newer-style, one-piece, frameless wipers on the market that comes in the extremely hard-to-find 14" to fit the rear wiper (they also come in 22", 21", 19" & 18" for the front depending on what year Legacy you have). If you haven't tried the new-style wipers, I highly recommend them. Getting rid of the fragile frames makes all the difference in durability and performance. They also look great and the price has come down on them. Wipe clean and super quiet. Major improvement in the winter. The NeoForms fit correctly and install easy all around - front and rear. You can get them online. Hope this helps save others time.
First Time Caller, Long Time Listener, Great Show - Love The Topic!![/b]
SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Re: 1990-2004 Legacy Upgrade Rear (and front) Wiper Blades

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

so whats the widest we can run for the front windshield.
-04 WRX STi - Java Black Pearl - Cobb Stage 2
-02 Forester Type S premium - Platinum Silver Metallic - Stock
-92 Legacy Sport Sedan - Onyx Black Pearl - Stock
jeff618
In Neutral

Post by jeff618 »

SiCkSTi04 wrote:so whats the widest we can run for the front windshield.
Depends on year...punch it in: http://www.wipers123.com

:oops: :yuck: :oops: :yuck:
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

I have it from a good source that we (BC-BF) can go up to 24" on the drivers side, the pass side is 19" max.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
jeff618
In Neutral

Post by jeff618 »

Aerotech wrote:I have it from a good source that we (BC-BF) can go up to 24" on the drivers side, the pass side is 19" max.
I'd still stick with the application guide books or the parts matching systems on the internet. Any given size by any given manufacturer can vary by 3/4" in length either way. In other words, one brands' 24 may actually be 23&1/4 and fit but another brands' 24 might actually be 24" and not fit. They figure out all of that in the application tables. Also, there is no truly universal mounting system. Most wipers fit most arms but not all wipers fit all arms. This is another reason to always lookup wiper size on line or use the books.

Lastly remember, going larger than recommended can put additonal stress on your wiper motors, wiper linkages and wiper arms. There's usually a reason they recommend the sizes they recommend!

:)
Rod Grosvenor
In Neutral

Post by Rod Grosvenor »

I went with the Bosch wipers and am extremely happy with them. The rear wiper can accomodate a 1" larger blade safely. The wipers are subject to blade "pitting" over light levels of ice/frost on windows. Worst thing is a few streaks will occur if they get pitted.If you don`t want that to happen, use standard (cheaper) blades in the winter.-Rod (Subiedo)
brweber352
First Gear

Post by brweber352 »

Best wiper blade I have ever seen by far is the PIAA silicone super sporza. A friend of mine took them off his 2005 GTO after 1 year to replace just for maintenance, I took them from him and they clipped right on my car, they didn't hit anything but they were definately longer than stock, I think 22'' or whatever a GTO uses. I used them for over 1.5 years and they did not streak at all, and left a coat of silicone on the windshield so water beaded right off! I finally took them off because the frames started rusting, replaced with RainX wipers and they suck! I don't know if you can get them in 14", I just use cheap Anco wiper for the rear and they work damn good considering the price. Man I want the PIAA silicone wipers back, nobody carries them in stock locally, TireRack has them for about $20-$30, depending on size and weather you get the one with the spoiler thing(sporza). Best wiper ever, damn I miss them.

Brian
93'TLegWag171k StockBlock,TD05,HallmanMBC,530cc,Walbro255,shortram,LWpulley,DIS-2,MSDcoil,cxrFMIC,trans cooler/external filter,WRX wheels/brakes,CES w/Borla muffler,QTP elec cutout,REVchip2,KYB GR2,GroupN tops/all fr bushings,STImounts,GSD3 tires,LM-1,etc