Dynolicious iPhone/iPod App

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Dynolicious iPhone/iPod App

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah CJ I'm rockin the 4.444 forester trans.

You find a new trans to replace it?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Oh damn the 4.44s how are those? They seem like they would be awesome for everything but highway driving. I can't find a tranny for crap, so I might just get mine rebuilt which I really don't want tonpay for but I need to get it running?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It's cool if you like shifting a LOT. Not cool for daily driver and it could use some new synchros. Doesn't like going into second without a little bit of grinding. Or very careful shifting which is a PITA.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

shit, i eventually have to rebuild mine which is no good. my first gear whines real bad...
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

yea, it sucks. I really wanna upgrade the tranny to a JDM one since it would probably be about the same price and I would imagine much stronger, but i don't know which one to get, etc. and am having trouble finding one
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

you should find a jdm 4.11 trans, i heard they're great transmissions...
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

actually matt, for about the same price to rebuild your transmission, you can buy a jdm 20g/h with 5 speed on ebay or it may be a few hundred more. but you can either use the dohc motor or do a 22t dohc swap and get a badass trans then sell the 20g/h block...

the options are there...
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

The shipping is what gets you. The swap will cost you $1,200 and the shipping will be an aditional 500-600. So that is not worth it IMO.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

yea, its just the money that gets me, i have none lol. My grandparents are gonna help me pay to get the tranny rebuilt so I can repay them. I just wish I could jump forward a few years into my apprenticeship and be making "bank" (by my standards at least haha)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

What apprenticeship are you in?
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

The IBEW (Union Electrician)
I only start off at 10 an hour but to make things short I basically get a $1.50 raise every 6 months
And then once I get my Journeyman's liscence (about 5 years of P/T School and OJT)
Its about 30$ an hour take home, I can live with that
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Mattheww044 wrote:The IBEW (Union Electrician)
Is that the "If provoked, will strike" union?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

I wouldn't know, yet at least haha. They have treated me well so far.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I was actually just recently considering signing up for the next apprenticeship which I think is this spring. I'm just not sure because even though it pays $37/hour once you're a journeyman you don't have steady work. It's like the carpenter's union where you work for 2 weeks to a month and then you're out driving around looking for work every day for weeks on end. That scares me. My step dad is a carpenter and I grew up watching him do that for years. All the electricians I've talked to say that's how it is with them too.

Was it hard to get into the program?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Mattheww044 wrote:The IBEW (Union Electrician)
I only start off at 10 an hour but to make things short I basically get a $1.50 raise every 6 months
And then once I get my Journeyman's liscence (about 5 years of P/T School and OJT)
Its about 30$ an hour take home, I can live with that

My brother went through the apprentice program and just graduated this year. He took and passed his journeyman's test a month or two ago He lives in the Seattle area. He likes the work, works hard, and got in with a pretty good contractor.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

That's great Josh,
I really like the work as well. It's one of those careers where you can NEVER know EVERYTHING. I've only been doing it for about 6 months and I've already learned so much I can't even begin to explain. It sucks starting off getting paid so low, but seeing as I'm only 22, I've got a good road ahead of me. I actually applied for the apprenticeship right as soon as I graduated high school, took about 2 years to get a phone call, and they had over 300 applicants and they only took 5, and 2 of them bailed (probably because of the low starting wage). I have never worked for a company that offers a guaranteed $1.50 /hr raise every six months, so it will definitely pay off. Also, since I'm an apprentice, they HAVE to give me at least 40 hrs a week or lay me off. So I get stuck around the shop pushing a broom around sometimes but it all pays the same. I'm looking forward to the future, but at the moment, it's pretty tight. I got stupid with credit cards so now I'm suffering for that.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That's cool. Happy for you. I would probably jump on that but I'm still trying to get my used car dealer license with my friend. I just had another friend of mine make us a logo for our business sign and it's pretty sweet! It features my SS and his recently slammed ford ranger. My friend likes his job, has much much much better hours, 4 days off and 4 on and he probably makes more than me so he doesn't have the kind of motivation I do to get this off the ground or it would be rolling already.

I'm pretty sure someone stole my phone at work last week so that's not helping with this at all.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Rough draft my friend sent me that he's working on. I let him know we're probably changing the name to J&K Autos to avoid people reading it and immediately thinking "Just Kidding". I've heard it a few times now and it is already annoying.

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Look at it as getting paid to learn a job you can readily use anywhere in the country that you want to live rather than being saddled with a 6-figure student loan in an uncertain job market (depending on choice of major).
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

kimokalihi wrote:I was actually just recently considering signing up for the next apprenticeship which I think is this spring. I'm just not sure because even though it pays $37/hour once you're a journeyman you don't have steady work. It's like the carpenter's union where you work for 2 weeks to a month and then you're out driving around looking for work every day for weeks on end. That scares me. My step dad is a carpenter and I grew up watching him do that for years. All the electricians I've talked to say that's how it is with them too.

Was it hard to get into the program?

Sorry I dint see that til just now. It took forever to get in just because of the economy, took a "placement test" and did 2 interviews and I got in. The work obviously is slower now than in past years, but according to everyone I have worked with, if your worth a damn, a contractor will hold on to you. Even if u don't work full time you can still get partial unemployment which is still like 500 a week so you really need to know how to budget money when you make it. I like working out of town, you get per diem, free motel, and long work days. Anything over 8 hrs in a day is automatically time and a half and anything over 10 hours is double time minus drive time, so it adds up quick
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

And in the slow time, since I'm cheap labor and they have to give me full time I just mess around at the shop. Workin on the company rigs, etc.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Depending on how your employed, you'll also likely can file taxes as a contractor, which means you write off mileage at the federal rate (varies, but around $.50/mile), work related tools, clothes, etc. But the rules on writing off mileage aren't completely straight forward depending on whether you have what's considered an office or a company vehicle or what have you, so talk to an accountant.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

kimokalihi wrote:Rough draft my friend sent me that he's working on. I let him know we're probably changing the name to J&K Autos to avoid people reading it and immediately thinking "Just Kidding". I've heard it a few times now and it is already annoying.
My first thought was that you forgot the '/' between the initials. Looks good, otherwise.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

evolutionmovement wrote:Depending on how your employed, you'll also likely can file taxes as a contractor, which means you write off mileage at the federal rate (varies, but around $.50/mile), work related tools, clothes, etc. But the rules on writing off mileage aren't completely straight forward depending on whether you have what's considered an office or a company vehicle or what have you, so talk to an accountant.
Yea, I have been keeping receipts for tools, union dues, etc. but I don't think I make enough for it to really matter a whole lot
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

beatersubi wrote:
kimokalihi wrote:Rough draft my friend sent me that he's working on. I let him know we're probably changing the name to J&K Autos to avoid people reading it and immediately thinking "Just Kidding". I've heard it a few times now and it is already annoying.
My first thought was that you forgot the '/' between the initials. Looks good, otherwise.
Thanks Stephen. Rough draft.