Dynolicious iPhone/iPod App

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Dynolicious iPhone/iPod App

Post by kimokalihi »

I bought the Dynolicious app for my iPod Touch recently and did a few runs in the metro with it. I don't know for sure how much it weighs so I think that might be throwing it off a little because I just guessed with me in the car that it weighs around 2,100 lbs. It's probably more than that though. The WHOLE car has been sound deadened with too much sound deadener and I don't know if the specs acount for fuel weight or not.

The app allows you to estimate wheel HP or you can enter the drivetrain loss % and it will estimate your crank HP. I did both. It said 43 at the crank and 39 at the wheels. That's with the 10% drivetrain loss. Wasn't sure what to put for that figure either. I ended up with a 21.43 second quarter on my best run @ 66MPH. Weee! What was funny to me is learning that my 0-60MPH time is nearly as long as my quarter mile time.

Dynolicious is a pretty neat app and I think would be much more accurate if I could weigh my car and know the real drivetrain loss % of the vehicle. I've read online that it's actually pretty accurate when compared to dyno runs. Whether or not this is true remains to be seen.

Can you weigh your car at a truck station? Does it cost money? I definitely want to see how the legacy does when it's back up and running.

98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
familydad
First Gear

Re: Dynolicious iPhone/iPod App

Post by familydad »

if you hit a scale when its closed you can just read the meter, i use the I-90 weigh station at hywy 18, scales at truck stops cost money, i think its $18 at most
Hot damm that was fun!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1999 Legacy L postal, RHD
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Do you have a dump you can use? This ap replaces the market for the G-Tech. Your Geo os only a little slower, but with the same trap speed as my 1984 GL wagon as timed at New England Dragway. To the car, it was just an everyday run onto the highway—easier, even, since I usually kept accelerating past 66 on the highway.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Mine wasn't an every day freeway run lol. I don't know what this thing can safely rev to since there's no tach but I shifted every gear around 5,800 RPM.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I just googled geo metro gauge cluster in google images and it turns out redline is 6,500! That's crazy. Shifting even at 5,800 RPM sounds like the thing is about to explode. Scares me. I don't want to hurt my poor metro engine. It's the most reliable car I've ever had.
Justins91ss

Post by Justins91ss »

Mighthave to buy the app.. 4.0 softwear sucks!! Dropped calls automatically deletes my emails.. How much was it? Thanks
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I think it's $10. Kinda of spendy for an App but it's pretty cool.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Guess it time to take the metro' to the strip and find out how accurate it is. :lol:
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

lol where is this strip at? I suppose I should learn how to launch. I should also change the refresh rate on my scangaugeII because it only refreshes every second or half second. I believe you can edit the settings to make it refresh quicker. I use it for my tach since the metro doesn't have one.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Kimo, i may want you to use that app in my car :P i can't afford a ipod/iphone.... :(
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah we should do both of our cars and compare. The app even has a feature that lets you upload your results to Facebook or Twitter lol.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

that would be cool. maybe you could make a trip out to roy and we could have a sit down and chug a few beers or something.
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Beers eh? What you drinkin? I got some sam adams summer ale in my fridge. I like blue moon and widmer too but they're much better on tap. I'm not picky about beer though. How far of a trip is it out there to roy?
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

maybe after payday, i too like imports like sam adams, blue moon, henry weinhards... and so on...

im like 45 minutes away from you or so. about 20 minutes from that walmart in yelm
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Well, as soon as I fix this fuel leak we'll do this.
Vandal_RS
In Neutral

Post by Vandal_RS »

A few tips from my experience that make it work better.

Mount the phone securely in an upright position. Find the flattest area you can to test on. If you want a more accurate hp reading, don't go for a super 0-60 time. Perform a more gradual launch and roll into the throttle, the initial jerk can affect accuracy.
92 Legacy Sport
00 Impreza 2.5RS
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I did 2 pulls yesterday on my legacy and got a 14.5 and 15 second quarter mile time. 0-60 times were 7.2 and 7.3. It estimated 196hp to the wheels. The better quarter mile time was at 13lbs of boost and the 15 second one was at 15lbs of boost. I did a much harder launch on the better time run on less boost. So I think I could easily break 14 and get into the high 13s on more boost with a good launch.

Unfortunately the app told me there was a bad run detected and therefore it won't let me share the results haha. I don't know why it says that though. The road I was on wasn't perfectly flat which could possibly be the problem.
UI Vandal
In Neutral

Post by UI Vandal »

Have only used this on my beater, Leaky Beasty. Estimated 46hp and similar acceleration to yours with three friends in the car with me. Sometimes the slowest car is the most fun to rag on! I can acclerate 100% balls out and not worry about speeding tickets in the beater, the other cars...not so much.
His - 05 Saab 9-2x Aero
Hers - 05 Subaru LGT LMT 5sp Wagon
Autox - 97 Miata Supercharged FOR SALE
Beater - 88 GL DR 5sp
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

I just downloaded aDyno for my Droid and its pretty sweet. Way too many settings to do much with it now at work but one cool feature is that you can easily email yourself a png of dyno runs. Thats cool.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

be careful of that tranny Kimo. I'm not gonna launch hard any more. All it took was one hard launch with my new clutch and i blew first gear
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Crazy. I did several more launches last month with that same app and running 15 lbs of boost on this WRX block (vs the higher compression forester block with the same heads) and I ran a 16.3 with a bad launch and a 14.6 with a great launch and as fast as this trans would let me shift which isn't very fast. I can tell this new block is killing my power. It only estimated 180 whp now vs 196 before with less boost I think.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Whoa, my stock N/A wagon ran 16.3 back in the day and I NEVER do high rpm clutch drops, so that was just a clean hook up at around 1200 rpm.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

The bad launch was due to two things. One was that I'm afraid of blowing up my transmission so I drive the car pretty mellow and never launch it. And two because of driving it easy and not launching it, I suck at launching it and basically drag racing period. This is obvious in the vast difference from my slowest time to my fastest time. Plus I don't know what RPM to shift at since I haven't had enough runs to determine where my power band ends and what the optimal RPM is to shift. That would make a big difference I bet. It goes to 7,500 RPM but I saw a thread on NASIOC where a guy said his best times were when he shifted at 5,500rpm instead of redline.

Also, I'm reluctant to keep running my car on public roads and the track is closed. When it was open they only ran when I was at work so I couldn't go do it legally. PITA really.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

don't you have a jdm forrester trans in your ss kimo?
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Yea Kimo I feel the same way I usually am pretty easy on my tranny knowing that they are weak. I went to the drag strip and i was being easy on the tranny and running 15.2 which was pissing me off because I ran a 15.3 last year with WAY less mods. Last run of the night I decided to let her rip, and she did a whole lot more than rip