Mobil Delvac Super 15w40

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Jessekrs123
First Gear

Mobil Delvac Super 15w40

Post by Jessekrs123 »

Hey guys, figured I'd post this here with my newly changed oil.

I've had a cold start lifter tick for the longest time, and it really was beginning to make me angry. Because I really don't like to abuse my cars, I'd sit and idle the car @ 1,500 rpms until my HLAs finally filled up. This would take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes depending on the temperature. My HLAs were not collapsed because they would fill up, I don't know what would cause this because my oil pump is fine as well.

Changed my oil the other day, went from generic 10w40 to Mobil Delvac Super 15w40. My father told me that when his old L series used to develop lifter tick (the one's offered with HLAs) he would always put in thicker oil and that would solve the problem. He suggested 20w50, which I though was a little extreme, so he said that he had a stockpile of 15w40 in the basement. So I ended up putting that in along with a new filter.

I am so glad to say that my cold start lifter tick has vanished. I'd thought maybe one of the oil galleys was getting clogged, or my oil pump was on it's way out but I guess not.

What kind of oils have you guys used to get rid of lifter tick with cold starts?
2015 Subaru BRZ
1993 Subaru Legacy Sedan 5 Speed FWD Green (EG33 swap in progress)
1984 Subaru BRAT Tan
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Re: Mobil Delvac Super 15w40

Post by beatersubi »

Delvac is good oil. Meets latest API CJ4/CI4 specs and I think is one of the few remaining oils to contain the zinc needed for flat-tappet lifters/followers. A bit spendy though, usually ~$12/gallon.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mobil Delvac Super 15w40

Post by Legacy777 »

One thing to note about those oils containing zinc is that they can ruin catalytic converters and O2 sensors.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm