STI vs SPT Group N Mounts

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

STI vs SPT Group N Mounts

Post by Dynamic Entry »

Purchased my first set of Group N mounts in 2008, and from what I remember they were only available from limited sources.

I bought from Rallispec, upon recommendation of board members and was completely satisfied.

I recently bought another set while doing my transmission swap. This time I noticed that many vendors, including eBay vendors etcetera, are selling Group N mounts.

When I asked Rallispec about the mounts and the market, I got a next-day response that was personal and thorough. I again chose Rallispec, despite a slightly higher price, because of their response.

Subaru of America now sells upgraded mounts under their SPT brand and therefore anyone can purchase these through any dealer. Thus there are many places you can buy them from. However, SPT uses a different part numbering system from STI and many times we have found that STI has re-engineered the product to suit the US market or to avoid litigation concerns (they know that everyone sues everyone in the US!). In the case of the mounts its unclear if they are exactly the same as the STI Group N ones or not. No one has really tested them against each other. But other shops are selling them as STI Group N regardless. If you get a mount with an STI label and a part number that starts with "ST" you have a genuine STI part. If the label is a Subaru label and does not start with "ST" then its an SPT part.

We have and continue to buy our parts directly from Japan so we only sell genuine STI parts....not rebranded SPT ones.

Although Rallispec acknowledges that they are merely unsure if the parts are the same, I appreciate their concern and am happy to support their efforts to ensure they sell legitimate Group N parts.

Here are the mounts I received from Rallispec. Clockwise from top-left: 5MT Transmission Mount, Pitchstop Dogbone, RH Motor Mount, LH Motormount
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: STI vs SPT Group N Mounts

Post by kimokalihi »

Hmm hadn't heard of that. I bet they're the same is so close the difference is probably unnoticeable. I got all my sti group n mounts from nasioc slightly used at significantly lower prices than rallispec and I'm glad I did.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Deride
Second Gear

Post by Deride »

All of my Group N mounts have always came in Subaru packaging with Subaru part numbers no matter which vendor I bought them from. None of them have ever said STi on them. But then again I haven't purchased any in a couple of years so maybe they changed things?
2002 Impreza 2.0RS 6MT
2001 Impreza 2.5RS 5MT (winter beater)
1992 Jeep Cherokee
1994 SS 5MT RIP
1991 SS 5MT *SOLD*
1996 Legacy Outback 5MT *SOLD*
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I would be surprised if there is actually a difference. I suppose I could ask Subarugenuineparts since they sell the group n stuff.
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

my mounts has STI written on it... woo hoo!!!...lol
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

My "Group N" dog bone has sti stamped on it, but the packaging for my tranny and engine mounts had no special marking.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Someperson
Fourth Gear

Post by Someperson »

price? and do they direct fit stock shifter? anyone know the material? cause I can just make some poly-pro ones >.>
Blue 94GT dead and steadily parting out.
Silver 93 Fwd N/A sedan undergoing repairs
93 Winestone TW project
92 SS scrapped by my landlord...
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I think retail for the tranny and engine mounts is around $210. I scored a set BNIB for around $120 on nasioc.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.