Sylvania Silverstars bulbs: phooey!

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

123c
Second Gear

Post by 123c »

I personally like the Silverstar's, that's what my brother has in his 1990 Legacy, and they have made a huge difference. I will make sure to get a 1992-1994 Legacy, when I get around to buying one. I would have to agree that the true European beam pattern is the best, since my Mercedes 300CD has some...
[color=red][b]1993 Subaru BC Turbo Legacy (193k miles)
1971 VW Super Beetle
1989 Honda Elite 50
[/color][/b]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Oh yeah! The 123-chassis European lights were great. I had an '84 300D, Germany-spec... Those lights were just awesome.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
QuickDrive
Lurker-King

Post by QuickDrive »

I just put a set of Silverstars in this weekend and I can see a huge difference.

I did however polish the lenses at the same time so it could just be that. but I can see at night much better, and they look like glass now :)
R I P-------- 91 Turbo 4EAT --------R I P
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

In my humble opinion, polishing lenses makes a big difference, installing silverstars doesn't.
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah... Get Xtravisions and swap them in place of the Silverstars, and you'll see even better! Xtravisions are cheaper than Silverstars, too. You can keep the Silverstars in the glove box as spares just in case a bulb burns out in the middle of nowhere at night.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

what bulbs are best for given good night driving?

Post by Bheinen74 »

I cleaned my yellowed/oxidized lenses with mequires clear plastic cleaner-big difference in light output, but not satisfied. My previous cars were all honda 91 civic si's, and those lights are always hellish bright, produced light output so good it was like it was daytime. just regular sylvania lamps.

Question here is, should i buy NEW bulbs for my 94 legacy? or am i still not gonna have lights like i was used to? sounds like subaru lights suck.......
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

94 Legacy headlights are actually quite good.

The weak point, though, is the wiring. Subaru used pathetically thin wires for the headlights, and that really cripples their light output. A heavy-duty lighting harness is a cheap easy way to make your lights a lot better.

If you fix the wiring, put in a decent pair of bulbs, and aim them, I'm sure you'll find the lights at least as usable as your Civics'.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I installed a set of Silver Stars about 2 weeks ago because I had one low beam out. I got them for $28 after tax. They seem a bit brighter then my old ones and I like the "whiter" color. They were olny a few dollars more then the regular bulbs so I figured why not? I like them, I'd like to tray these xtravisions or whatever that Vikash mentioned though.

Who makes those V? Are they still Sylvania?
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yep, Sylvania makes both.

They're brighter than your old bulbs because your old bulbs are old... halogen bulbs do get dimmer as they age.

The "whiter" color is achieved by reducing the amount of light the bulbs put out in more useful frequencies. This is a handicap, especially when it's raining or snowing or foggy. Trust me; the Xtravisions will let you see better. They're cheaper than the Silverstars (primarily because they're not marketed as heavily) and put out more light.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Hmm, well the next set I throw in will be xtravisions then.

I've been out in the rain with these silverstars and didn't notice any reduction in performance.
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Again, you're comparing them to your old bulbs. Try good new bulbs and you'll see (literally). :)
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Hahahahaha. OK, right on. :)
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

vrg3 wrote:Yep, Sylvania makes both.

They're brighter than your old bulbs because your old bulbs are old... halogen bulbs do get dimmer as they age.

The "whiter" color is achieved by reducing the amount of light the bulbs put out in more useful frequencies. This is a handicap, especially when it's raining or snowing or foggy. Trust me; the Xtravisions will let you see better. They're cheaper than the Silverstars (primarily because they're not marketed as heavily) and put out more light.
Second this motion. I tried the silverstars, but they also burn out twice as fast. The xtravisions work just as good and have lasted much longer.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

vrg3 wrote:once I do my lighting wiring upgrade and document it, you might consider doing the same.[/b]
I'm doing that. Along with my FF1000 driving lamps, I should have a pretty good lighting setup. The big lights are off the car at the moment though, because I'm working on making some new mounts that won't vibrate at all and I need to take out some extra wiring and the butt spices I did and break out the soldering iron.

I think I have most of it figured out, but a nice detailed description by the expert would be awesome. Are you just going to put the relays in at the wiring right near the lamps?

Which relays are you using and where did you get them? I hear about how I don't want to use cheap ones.

Also Xtravisions for the win.
jnorion
Third Gear

Post by jnorion »

Try Osram Silverstars, not Sylvania Silverstars. Osram is the parent company... the Silverstars they make (for sale in Europe only) are not coated and are nearly pure white, with a little more yellow and a little less blue. I have had them in two of my cars in the past... they are insanely bright, and I have done a direct comparison with the US Sylvania version and they are much better.

Also, you can buy them at http://www.powerbulbs.com for about $35 shipped free from the UK. Cheaper than the US version and better. The only drawback I know of is that you may have to convert your harness to accept H4 bulbs.
~Joel
1991 Legacy LSi sedan | 1990 Legacy L wagon
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yes, Osram Silverstars are very high-performance bulbs. H4 bulbs are essentially the same as 9003 bulbs; no conversion is necessary.
fireytom
In Neutral

Post by fireytom »

tehehe butt spices
jnorion
Third Gear

Post by jnorion »

vrg3 wrote:Yes, Osram Silverstars are very high-performance bulbs. H4 bulbs are essentially the same as 9003 bulbs; no conversion is necessary.
I was under the impression that the pre-facelift lights used 9004 bulbs.
~Joel
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

They do.

You can't "adapt" H4 bulbs for pre-facelift lights.
jnorion
Third Gear

Post by jnorion »

Isn't it just a matter of different wiring, though? I know there are a lot of guys on the Mazda board I've been on for a while that have wired in new plugs specifically to use the Silverstar H4s. I never did it myself so I'd have to look around a bit to find the procedure, but it seems easily possible.
~Joel
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

No....the H4's will not work because the optics are completely different then the 9004 bulbs. The reflector will not focus the light where it needs to be, and you'll just have a scattered mess.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
jnorion
Third Gear

Post by jnorion »

Oh, ha, my bad. I wasn't even thinking about that part... the system for the Mazda was when they replaced their lights with the EDM version. I was just thinking about the wiring. Never mind. ;)
~Joel
0perose
Third Gear

Post by 0perose »

wish I would've known this before I bought a silverstart to replace the regular bulb that exploded when I pushed my friend's mazda up an icy hill in the woods with my bumper
yo mang, can I get a rootshell?

1991 N/A, 4eat, crazy lights, junk suspension, sticker wagon
1989 xt6 work in progress
Jr.SubaruLvr
First Gear

Post by Jr.SubaruLvr »

anyone hear any reviews on nokya's.. i want to get some super yellow's
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Nokya bulbs aren't very good.

Any bulb manufacturer that tries to tell you their bulbs somehow create x "watts of light" with y "watts of electricity," where x>y, is likely selling complete garbage. And of course, any bulb that comes in packaging that looks more expensive than the bulb itself is likely to be worthless. The best bulbs tend to come in plain cardboard boxes because the money is spent on engineering instead of marketing.

If you're looking for a good selective-yellow bulb, try a Hella Yellowstar or something. Most good bulb manufacturers (Osram and/or Sylvania, Philips, Narva, Wagner) make selective-yellow bulbs for the world market.