Simply Sube Fender Braces

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Ghost
First Gear

Simply Sube Fender Braces

Post by Ghost »

I installed these on my 91 SS in place of the stock units today.

Installation was fairly easy, the instructions provided were detailed. I had to move the harness on the passenger side but no biggie there. Fit was spot on.

I bought these braces because I trusted the validity of this statement used in the marketing "The stock braces are made of stamped steel and can be bent over your thigh. These braces are a one of a kind solid aluminum piece. There is no comparison. " This statement is absolutely false.

The stock units are made out of two pieces of stamped steel, bonded and shaped to improve rigidity. They are light weight, appear well engineered. They are not anything like the soft metal after thought the above statement makes them out to be. They can not be bent over your thigh, and unless you are a freak of nature you can not cause them to flex. Furthermore in their installed position their primary loading is going to be in tension. I do not under any circumstance imagine them deforming in any meaningful way during normal operation.

The verdict? If your car came with stock braces, these aftermarket units are a complete waste of your money. From an engineering perspective, the stock units are not deficient. While driving I noticed absolutely no improvement.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Simply Sube Fender Braces

Post by kimokalihi »

Sounds like a fair review. There is also a pretty decent comparison with the competition although the competition is more expensive however at least one other company includes a third mounting point which can only help in bracing the chassis.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

What is your setup, as far as suspension, miles on suspension, any strut bars or anything else, hardened bushings, tires, driving style?

I have these braces but haven't installed them yet. I do have a front strut bar, and driving the same corners with it on then off I can feel a difference in the front end feel, and how much the tires squeal. I do have hardened bushings all over the car, including whiteline steering rack ones, group n topmounts, etc. Biggest change in handling "feel" was my uprated XLR Balljoints.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I tend to agree with Ghost's statements in that the stock braces are actually pretty stout. My thoughts on the marketing claim is that possibly the newer Subaru's do not have the twin plate construction like our Legacies.

I agree with Mike in that depending on your suspension modifications, certain upgrades make more of a difference. I'm running the TiC fender braces and I don't recall them making any huge noticable difference, but I would also say they probably didn't hurt anything.

I think if you have a limited budget, then fender braces probably shouldn't be the top priority on your upgrade list.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Ghost
First Gear

Post by Ghost »

mike-tracy wrote:What is your setup, as far as suspension, miles on suspension, any strut bars or anything else, hardened bushings, tires, driving style?

I have these braces but haven't installed them yet. I do have a front strut bar, and driving the same corners with it on then off I can feel a difference in the front end feel, and how much the tires squeal. I do have hardened bushings all over the car, including whiteline steering rack ones, group n topmounts, etc. Biggest change in handling "feel" was my uprated XLR Balljoints.
I am all stock for now. Unknown miles on suspension. When I drive for fun I'll allow in enough neutral steer to require less steering input but that is about where I draw the line.

I was expecting to feel a little more chassis rigidity at steering turn in, and transition but didn't notice any change.

Like I said, mostly I am pissed about the claim that was floated about the stock units.