Legacy SS WRX Shifter Swap

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Ghost
First Gear

Legacy SS WRX Shifter Swap

Post by Ghost »

Hey Folks,

I installed a 02-03 WRX shifter in my SS today. I used a kartboy rear bushing, and the shifter came off ebay with plastic-like front bushings (not urethane or delrin).

1. Everybody that says go with the WRX shifter for daily driving is right on the money, after 50 miles I think the throw is perfect. It is a very nice upgrade from stock. I don't find myself wishing it was shorter, at all.

2. If you are doing this yourself, remove the transmission brace in its entirety. Its not difficult and gives you a straight shot on the roll pin. I unbolted the rear 4 14mm bolts, the front 17mm bolts and the 4 14mm bolts that attach the trans mount to the trans itself.

3. This project is NOWHERE near the big deal people make it out to be on this forum. No it's not a pain in the ass. Swapping out turbos on a FD while the engine is installed is a pain in the ass. Trying to mount up a transmission when all you have is yourself and a floor jack is a pain in the ass. This is NOT the kind of job you should be taking your car in to have done for you.

4. Use roll pin punches for the pin, it makes life way easier.

5. Hit the shifter to transmission interface (the piece the roll pin goes through) with penetrating oil, mine took some tapping to come off. The new piece slid right on.

All in all I think this is a necessary mod for the sport sedan and sport wagon crowd. Even if the bushings were not gone in my original shifter, the rubber just ruins the feel. I recommend this even if your stock shifter is %100.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Legacy SS WRX Shifter Swap

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks for the review/info, I totally agree.

I'm going to move this to the review forum.

Thanks
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I haven't driven my SS without a WRX shifter setup, but I do get compliments when other people drive it. Still feels industrial to me, but I did grow up driving german cars and ratty old trucks. ;) Feels much better than my ex's completely stock 98 outback, however.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Ghost
First Gear

Post by Ghost »

yeah, it does feel agricultural to me, but I am okay with that because...

Before when driving fast it became apparent how vague the stock shifter was, and thus the shifts took a lot of attention. More force is required now but at least I know with relative certainty what is going to happen. And that happening happens faster, which also requires less attention.
matt00rs25
First Gear

Post by matt00rs25 »

Would the forester xt linkage assembly work like the wrx one does?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It should.....I don't see any reason why it shouldn't...
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Ghost
First Gear

Post by Ghost »

After about a month and a half... wow, I would never take this off my car. Guys this is an absolute must do mod.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I agree :)
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Ghost
First Gear

Post by Ghost »

Update.

So it's October now.

I don't really remember what the stock shifter feels like any more, so the WRX shifter is my only point of reference. It is still a very good part, that I am enthusiastic about, and also perceive to be 'pulling its weight'.

But part of me is starting to want a little bit shorter throws...