NGK wires

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

NGK wires

Post by IggDawg »

Anyone have these? I've never seen them for sale anywhere. I didn't even know NGK made wires. I found a set on a car in the pick-apart yard that looked pretty new so I took them. Mine needed replacement. It could just be that they were newer than the ones I took off, but she seemed a little happier at idle, and a little more responsive. anyone else have these things and want to make a comment?
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Have them, like them. I replace my original wires with NGK's and I consider them one of the better plug wires out there, great price, fit perfect, each wire was snug and "snapped" on the plugs. Another plus is they are blue, matching my JC Sports CAI and my engine bay/car. I have heard that the NGK's are comparable in construction and material to Magnecores, which in my oppinion are the best wires for our cars, but they don't hit you in the pocket like the Magnecores.
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

I also have NGK wires in my car. they are a perfect fit, good price and cool looking too! I recommend them. :D
92 Legacy Turbo \ 5MT \ Silver
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

I've got them. Very nice.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

wires are a BS upgrade, but if the color matches, thats what's really important :D
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Well, some wires can be an upgrade. Magnecor wires, for example, never need to be replaced. I would consider that to be an upgrade over normal wires which you should replace every 30 to 60 thousand miles. Just to see, when I got my Magnecors, I switched them from the no-name aftermarket wires that I got at AutoZone without changing anything else, and there was a clear difference in the engine's smoothness and power. Then, of course, things improved much more after I took out the Bosch plugs and put NGK coppers in, and replaced the stock coil pack with a Diamond pack, and installed an MSD DIS-2.

I did just put NGK wires in my girlfriend's 1989 Mazda 626, and I love them. The car was badly in need of a tuneup, so I replaced the plugs (with NGK coppers), wires, and distributor cap and rotor, so I can't say that any particular benefit was from the wires, but they definitely fit very well (better than most of the cheap aftermarket wires you get at parts stores) and the insulation seemed more flexible than most. I took a look at the crimps on all the terminals and they were solid. All the terminals clicked very solidly onto the plugs, and fit very snugly on the distributor towers. Both of these are issues with Magnecors.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Magnecor wires are what every vehicle I touch will get. Not because they "give you 5hp over stock" but because they "give you 5hp over stock at 60k miles, 10hp over stock at 100k miles" etc...

Normal wires, no matter how good they are to start, are a consumable item. As they age they slowly wear down. The magencors on the other hand have an infinitly longer service life, Id compare them to battery cables. Sure battery cables eventually need replaced but most often you dont own the car long enough to need it!

scottzg: If you perform the normal "Recomended" maintanance you will have to buy many sets of wires and you also loose performance as the wires near the end of life. Why deal with that?
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

...because i am skeptical of Magnecor's claims.

Your factory wires will still work after 100k (my car came with the factory wires at 72k) and you *probably* wouldnt be able to tell a difference (I couldn't). Magnecore only has to make a very slight improvement in quality to be able to claim infinite lifespan.

The contact points are what goes out on plug wires, are they significantly improved? Cause if so, maybe they're a good buy.

Platinum +4's are a popular autozone mod too, ya know what im saying?
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

scottzg wrote:...because i am skeptical of Magnecor's claims.

Your factory wires will still work after 100k (my car came with the factory wires at 72k) and you *probably* wouldnt be able to tell a difference (I couldn't). Magnecore only has to make a very slight improvement in quality to be able to claim infinite lifespan.

The contact points are what goes out on plug wires, are they significantly improved? Cause if so, maybe they're a good buy.

Platinum +4's are a popular autozone mod too, ya know what im saying?

Your claims about stock wires against magnecor's or any new plug wires at that age are not very plausible. Even with only slight mileage on the stock wires I noticed a slight difference.

There is much more that can degrade & wear then just contact points.

Depending on the material used in core and how it's wound, that will degrade over time. Also you can probably make a direct relationship between core breakdown and the outer jacket breadown.

Rubber will degrade over time due to heat and other environmental pollutants.

Magnecor's wires are 100% silicone. My wires are just as soft and flexible as the day I put them in, which was back in 1998, & 55k miles ago.

Magnecor guarantee's their wires. They don't necessarily guarantee the boots. The boots are gotten from the factory and over time will wear out. You can send the wires back in to be re-booted.

There is a reason there's quite a few people running magnecor's. I don't claim they will give you mad hp and a quicker car....hell I don't claim it will give you any hp. However depending on the state of the current wires, a notice in engine smoothness and performance is not uncommon.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm