Spec. Sube Rally Class

Autocross, Rallycross, ProRally, Drag, WRC, F1 etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Spec. Sube Rally Class

Post by greg donovan »

over on specialstage we are developing the idea of having a spec subaru class in scca rally. this a low cost class that focuses on the driver. not aimed at gettting manufacturer support hence the older cars.

would include all subarus w/a N/A ej22 drivetrain. more mods allowed than p classes and not as open as open. you could mix and match from different years and if you have an imp you could update the body. no interior needed. or if you have a post facelift legacy you could backdate :twisted:

here is the url and the initial post:

http://www.specialstage.com/forum/cgi-b ... /2885.html
randy zimmer on special stage wrote:After getting some ideas I liked and more that I hated, here is the roundup of what I have decided drivers could work toward to keep themselves in business for more than a year or two.
I would hope you keep this formula in mind when suggesting a starting point to your friends and as a direction for yourself in the future.
---
#1 philosophy:
If it costs a lot, is rare or may break other things, it isn't allowed.
Any sube, ~90 Legacy right up to the Bugeye Impreza ('02)
Really stock unless mentioned below:
2.2 engine
max 4.1 gear (3.9 OK, 4.4 not)
DMS is the most expensive allowed strut.
Strip and lighten OK but all glass or nets.
Seam weld OK
Brake pads OK
STi rubber OK
Button clutch disk OK
---
Any other question - answer with this question:
Will it real cost money to do?
If so, probably not allowed.
Will it make the car faster?
Probably not allowed.
Will it make it safer or less prone to breakage?
Probably OK but don't be cute, no Solo-type reasoning allowed.
Can I take the door beams out of the doors? That won't cost money.
Rears OK but fronts should stay in, it's safer.
---
Any interest?
It will only be fun when there are a bunch of cars like this out there. I don't think any of the 2.5NA guys will switch soon until some others start doing it. When that happens, I think it'd be a hoot.
rz

rz
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

That sounds like a GREAT idea! Relatively low cost entry into clubrallying while still keeping it AWD. That'd definitely be something I'd be into.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
oursTOdestroy
In Neutral

Post by oursTOdestroy »

me too! (except im in canada :()
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

matt#1 would be on board
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
SuperRallyRoo
Third Gear

Ya Ya I would...

Post by SuperRallyRoo »

Sounds like alot of fun I am definatly looking for a better class to run my 1990 subaru ej22 n/a in. I don't wanna be so stock for pgt and run with wrx's! And I don't wanna be in open with crazy stuff. :D I'm saving up for that cage now.
Legacyless
98 Jetta TDI
0perose
Third Gear

Post by 0perose »

why limit it to ej22 drivelines? there are bunches of great soob rally cars using ea81/2's :roll:
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

0perose wrote:why limit it to ej22 drivelines? there are bunches of great soob rally cars using ea81/2's :roll:
where are these ea powered cars mr. rolleyeyes? i know of a few, 1 for sure (the ex dimarco rx sedan), in the US and im sure there are more in NZ and Australia. but there are more legacies and imprezas running around in the US.

ea cars would not be as competitve as a ej22 powered legacy or impreza. so either they would need alot of allowences or the ej cars would have to be handicapped. either solution is not in the spirit of the very simple rules.

the ej cars have better suspension setups and readily available rally parts and crank out 135 hp w/no modification while the ea stuff cranks out less than 100 unless you have a turbo and even then you are looking at around 115 hp. and turbos are strictlly not allowed in this proposed class.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
0perose
Third Gear

Post by 0perose »

sorry, didn't catch the no turbos....

there are seemingly plenty of rally-x cars on the USMB (ultimatesubaru.net/forum) but I think most are probably RX turbos....

guess I shouldn't have opened my mouth so wide on the "bunches of great soob rally cars" because I don't even know much about rally... never been to one, never seen one, etc

but based on the amount of talk about people competing on the USMB and also xt6.net/forum, there are plenty of subaru rally cars that people are competing with that are not ej22's. that's all I was trying to point out
SuperRallyRoo
Third Gear

Post by SuperRallyRoo »

Well rally cross and club rally are a lot different. So you can't really call a rally cross car a rally car...
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

0perose wrote:sorry, didn't catch the no turbos....

there are seemingly plenty of rally-x cars on the USMB (ultimatesubaru.net/forum) but I think most are probably RX turbos....

guess I shouldn't have opened my mouth so wide on the "bunches of great soob rally cars" because I don't even know much about rally... never been to one, never seen one, etc

but based on the amount of talk about people competing on the USMB and also xt6.net/forum, there are plenty of subaru rally cars that people are competing with that are not ej22's. that's all I was trying to point out
hey no big. you have to learn somehow. i was new to this stuff too. sometimes it can sound like a foreign language.

yeah most of the USMB crew ea series cars are rallycrossers. and a ea series car is a competent rallyx car.
96 Impreza L sedan
00 Impreza RS sedan
uberoo
In Neutral

Post by uberoo »

what about running a EA series subaru with a EJ22 swapped in it? it would be faster than a stock legacy but the poor suspension would hamper its performance in the turns...