Hillsborro Rallycross tomorrow!

Autocross, Rallycross, ProRally, Drag, WRC, F1 etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Hillsborro Rallycross tomorrow!

Post by douglas vincent »

I'll be there!
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

I was there!!! :P

Doug, your car is t3h shiznat!!! :-D
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Yours is fast too! You just need some good mud rubber to get the power down and in a straight line. Thanks for the caliper bracket!

Matt#1 was also there and driving his Touring wagon. He was FAST! I think he had the second best time of the day, 1:07, best was 1:05 in a full on turbo rally car. He placed well as well, but I don't remember exactly which place.....

As for myself...

Other than for the nTh time in a row of not completing 3 effing runs, I did have a blast.

Ran a blistering (really!) 1:08 first run. Hot!!!!!

Blew a fucking intercooler coupler 2nd run. COLD!!!!!!

Third run was 1:14 or 1:15 with 3 cones, but damn I was FAST!!!!! I blew my time on the big outside sweeper (if you go outside, add 4 seconds easy!!!), and then 3 cones, but I didnt care, but then for the last 150 yards, I never let up on the throttle. Scary fast!

So once again, it was a case of "Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda" for me. I have the power, I have the tires, I think I have the driving ability. But my whack job SC setup failed once again (big surprise). But at least my passengers had fun!
SuperRallyRoo
Third Gear

Post by SuperRallyRoo »

I got 2nd place because there was a ej20G'ed subaru impreza that shouldn't have been in rally prepped class. I can't really compete with a 270 crank Hp impreza.
Legacyless
98 Jetta TDI
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

YES WE CAN!!!!!!

but I agree, get in the right class. Next time, call him out! I really could care less, cause I am already in the open class, but if I were you, I would definately tattle-tale. Fair is fair bitch!. The rules may suck, but they are are rules.....

Of course I think technically you may be in Modifies since you swapped your tranny? Don't know the answer to that one...
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Matt#1 wrote:I got 2nd place because there was a ej20G'ed subaru impreza that shouldn't have been in rally prepped class. I can't really compete with a 270 crank Hp impreza.

Yeah, that was quite the shenanigan! :P

Matt, you kicked some serious ass, and we have one of your runs on video, so I will see about getting you a copy!!

Doug, your wagon makes about the wickedest noise I have ever heard anything make!!!:twisted:

My SS finally yacked its tranny this morning, I wonder if rallycrossing helped its demise?!?! :o
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

My in car vids.

The first was a 1:08 with 1 cone,
http://www.vincentfurniture.com/photos/ ... rstrun.wmv

The second is a bad 1:15 with 3 cones. You can see where I lose about 4 seconds going wide in the huge sweeping middle turn.

http://www.vincentfurniture.com/photos/ ... 3rdrun.wmv
Legacy294
Vendor
Vendor

Post by Legacy294 »

C'mon Matt, you were flyin, great roostertails!.. a little LFB helps eh?LOL

I think Doug is right on your classing too.. Touring Wagon's didn't come with a 5 speed from the factory, sooo, your car "technically" would be swapped too..Also, you can keep up with that Impreza (green OBS? not 270hp) once you get more time with the LFB to keep the spool up and the car turning in quicker. It would suck to protest him and have him come back with "your tranny's not stock.." touche!

Doug, great hanging out with you during and after the event.. Lots of great, twisted swaps in the conversations..Wish I could have gotten a ride, maybe next time? Everyone's always trying to keep a wrench in my hand whenever possible..

Nick, you were looking good out there too.. and yes, the rally x killed your tranny!:twisted:

hopefully at the next one (at another location) I'll be able to spend more time in the car, and less outside wrenching.. ;-)
'96 GF/STi Rally wagon, under construction

If it's mechanical, it WILL break...
www.allwheelsdriven.net
SuperRallyRoo
Third Gear

Post by SuperRallyRoo »

ya haha that wouuld suck. I guess I'll shut up about it then. :)
Legacyless
98 Jetta TDI
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Ha, not only did I get a DNF the second run, they fucked up and gave me a DNF for my third run, so I have no exact clue how I did. It was either 1:15 with three cones, or 1:15 total, but I suspect it was the first. I think they also borked my first score, I am pretty sure I had a 1:08 plus one cone. Instead it shows up as 1:10 plus one cone.

Either way, doesnt matter since I didnt flipping get three runs in....
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

A damn good reason to install an in car camera for rallycros

First off, I need to correct my above thread. My first run WAS a 1:10.22 like they timed at the race. More importantly, my third time was a good 1:09.xx, plus the 3 cones, NOT the 1:15xx plus three cones.

So......

Wow. What an amazing tool the in car camera is.

I timed my two complete and one non complete run, significant cones to significant cones.

I broke down the rallycross course to 6 sections, and timed each section 2-3 times and averaged those times.

When added, these times were VERY VERY close to total time scored (off by about .3 second at most, in the slow direction)

It was very interesting to see where I was faster, and why. By combining my "best" times, I was able to pull a best 1:09.14, and that probably would have been a 1:08.xx if I hadnt braked about 20 feet in front of the flying finish.

More importantly, I could see where I drove "fast" but was slower in reality, even if it was only .06 seconds slower.

What I learned was about 5 things....

1 - keep the tail in, EXCEPT when in the big tight sweeping turns, ie where the Scandinavian flick will work. And then BE CAREFUL.

2 - keep the tail in on the slalom.

3 - don't over correct

4 - Keep as close as possible to the cones. Walk the course, memorize the course on the parade lap...

5 - Keep the hammer down, as long as you are in control. That in itself was worth .9 of a second over the last 100 yards alone.
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Cool vids. I've got to get to some rallycrosses soon.
90 L+ wgn