V8 Supercars

Autocross, Rallycross, ProRally, Drag, WRC, F1 etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

V8 Supercars

Post by DLC »

Anyone here heard about them or seen any of the races?

I was first made aware of them while playing TOCA/DTM Race Driver 2 on the XBox. Interestingly, the game is marketed as V8 Supercars Race Driver 2 in Aus/NZ.

Anyways, I found a copy of the 1991 Bathurst Tooley's 1000km race, which was incidentally won by the unbeatable Skyline, but included such cars as the Ford Falcon V8s, Holden Commodore V8s, M3s, Ford Sierra Turbos and even some old AE86 and AE92 Hatchback Corollas.

I then looked for more recent Bathurst events, because Bathurst is the Aussie equivalent to the Nurburgring IMO, and found the 2005 V8 Supercars event. I grabbed it, and immediated became even more interested in the cars. I was able to get the Phillip Island and Symmons Plains events from 2005, and the first race of the 2006 season at Adelaide.

The cars appear to be factory line chassis, with roll cages, and even include such stock items as the headlights, tail lights and whatnot.

Technically they're similar in a lot of ways to NASCAR in the drivetrain department, with big pushrod V8s and live rear axles, but I think the street-going Falcons and Commodores are likewise equipped.

They do road and city courses, no stupid ovals. Lots of front camber, no ABS and seemingly only basic traction control. 7500RPM redline on the engine, 6MT Hollinger trannies, and 9inch rear diffs (at least on the Fords). Some of the courses will see them getting to 260-280KPH (180MPH), followed by hairpins.

On the long events, like Bathurst, they'll run two drivers, sometimes changing twice. Many events have qualifying and a top-10 shootout on the first day, followed by one 100km race. The next day they do one or two more races, depending on the format. The results of the races determines the grid for the following races, though they're going to experiment again with reverse grids in at least one even this season. Also, they have a fixed number of tires for the whole event, and depending on the length of the race, have at least one required stop for tire changes.

It's good racing.

V8 Supercars Homepage
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

i love to watch this. speed used to have it on. it was so cool to see the big fireballs shooting out the side pipes.

it is how i think nascar should be.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

At least NASCAR still does a few roadcourse events per year. I think that it might even increase in the future, as more drivers with roadcourse experience gain prominence. Marcos Ambrose, the 2003-04 V8 Supercars series champ is driving NASCAR this year, I guess.

There's no replacement for cash money.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

Ive seen it on speed a couple times a while back, very fierce competition and the cars are bad ass so its cool to watch.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Post by Legacy Rally Guy »

I'm suprised you didn't mention the Typhoon... It's fords version of the skyline... :P I'm not sure if it's used, but I dont see why they wouldn't... I've a friend who's obsessed with this car.
1991 Legacy N/A- Being built to withstand zombie apocalypse!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

They only use the Commodore and Falcon in the series right now.
Legacy Central
Brian Mau
In Neutral

Post by Brian Mau »

Legacy Rally Guy wrote:I'm suprised you didn't mention the Typhoon... It's fords version of the skyline... :P I'm not sure if it's used, but I dont see why they wouldn't... I've a friend who's obsessed with this car.
This is because in V8 supercars the cars must be:
1. Aussie Made
2. V8 Engine (Typhoon has a straight 6 turbo motor) non turbo
3. Rear wheel drive
4. 4 Door.......

That's why only commodores and falcons are there.
In fact these cars share identical transmission and engine (5L pushrod V8s), except the chassis and suspension design are borrowed from the factory model (heavily modded of coz)......All making 620bhp, IRS instead of live axle at the back, and strictly NO traction control and ABS brakes......
Falcon might have slight advantage over Commodore as Falcons have front double wishbone and rear control blade IRS setup vs Holden's strut front and semi-independent rear.......

Bathurst's one of the most exhausive track as 2 drivers covers 1000kms in 2 days......And one of the fastest too (280+kph at conrod straight)......
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/id/brianmau]MY92 Atmocharged GX AWD......[/url]
Brian
Brian Mau
In Neutral

Post by Brian Mau »

Oh yeah, Typhoon's based on falcon body too......
Brian
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Legacy Rally Guy wrote:I'm suprised you didn't mention the Typhoon... It's fords version of the skyline... :P I'm not sure if it's used, but I dont see why they wouldn't... I've a friend who's obsessed with this car.

a.k.a Falcon XR6?!?!
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
Brian Mau
In Neutral

Post by Brian Mau »

555BCTurbo wrote:

a.k.a Falcon XR6?!?!
The difference between FPV(Ford Performance Vehicle) Typhoon and Falcon XR6 Turbo is same as WRX STi and WRX.
BTW FPV was previously called Tickford Australia which is kinda performance department of ford.
XR6 does have non turbo version which pumps out 220kW at the fly = Around 295bhp......Same 4L DOHC 24V but without the snail......
Brian