need help with picking autox tires

Autocross, Rallycross, ProRally, Drag, WRC, F1 etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

need help with picking autox tires

Post by bmxkelowna »

i just dont know what to do. i have a auto 92 turbo legacy with kyb agx struts and intrax lowering springs.
i need some thing that will be good for autox, lots of grip and what not.
but they will also be my street tires.
so i need some thing that will last a little longer since i drive a lot.
(since feb when i got my car i have done over 11,500km)
i was thinking the falken azneis but have heard they dont last to long for daily driving. or even a set of hankooks.

now on two part number two.
i have my stock 15" wheels, while not the prettest thing, they are not to bad for weight (30.2lbs a wheel/tire).
if i went with these wheels i would do a 205/50/15 tire

i also have my 17" wheels, they look wicked on the car but are really heavy (44.6lbs a wheel/tire).
so i dont really want to stick with these.

i have a chance to buy a friends wheels off his 01 impreza for fairly cheap.
they are 16x7 and fairly light. they will look like this on my car but silver.
if i go with these wheels i will get 215/45/16 tires.

so i guess what im asking is which size wheel will be the best to go with, what tire size will be the best, and also which tires should i get for autox/daily driving.
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Have you autocrossed before?
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

yes i have
this is my 1st year and im running in fsp
im doing really good (6/77 in points for the town next to me and 16/80 in points for my town)
im getting faster every time learning my car and what to do and not to do.
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Not bad!

Well, you are competitive (at least locally) which is awesome. But, it also means that setup matters. In FSP, you're racing against guys with race rubber, aren't you? That's a big deal. Maybe it's less of a big a deal up there where it's colder, I dunno you tell me.

So, just my 2 cents, I'd suggest finding a way to get separate race rubber and street rubber. I know it seems more expensive to buy MORE rubber and wheels, but actually I've heard many people say that it's cheaper in the long run because you don't kill tires as quickly. Obviously it's better for performance as well.

If you really want to be as cheap as possible, get used race rubber for autoX and run crappy cheap tires on the street with a good treadlife rating.

Just my 2 cents.
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com