EJ22T beat a stock sti?

Autocross, Rallycross, ProRally, Drag, WRC, F1 etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

tsbpenguin
First Gear

EJ22T beat a stock sti?

Post by tsbpenguin »

Ok so my friend has a bone stock 06 sti. About 50,000 miles.

I want to pull on him from a roll and lower strip times would be nice as well.

I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible up front.

This is the setup im thinking:
The car is a 93 Legacy SS
151,000 miles
STi 6 speed, diffs, axles, brakes, etc.
Exhaust
Intake
2.5DOHC Heads with SOHC Gasket
Matching Intake Manifold (ported maybe)
MBC (Set at ~13psi)
Big FMIC, or a TMIC

Will this get me anywhere close to him? Anything i'm leaving out?
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

With that setup? No. The STI will spank you.

You will 100% definitely need to upgrade the turbo if you want to take a STI. Now that you upgrade your turbo you will enter a new realm where you need to start thinking about fuel delivery though and more supporting mods. You'll need a Walbro 255 FP, injectors, EM so you can control timing and mix. You'll also need a FCD because you're going to need to run more then 13 psi even with a bigger snail....
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

I'm thinking you would also be better off finding a 4.11 or 4.44 5 speed, instead of using the heavy 6 speed.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
tsbpenguin
First Gear

Post by tsbpenguin »

Ok so with the 5 speed what 5 speeds can hold good power? Like a wrx 5 speed? If i'm to do that would i want a different gear set? Will it be as fast as the 6 speed?
In between Subies
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

I'm making ~15 foot pounds less than a stock sti at the wheels according to cobbs dyno day/track day, my stock leggy 5 speed holds it. *Knocks on wood*

I subscribe to the "It's all in how you drive it" school of thought.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

The WRX 5 Spd is a 3:56 or something close to that ( anyone feel free to correct me on the number)

One of the JDM transmissions that pop upon ebay from JHOT would be the way to go - and you can get the matching rear diff to go with it.
The 4:11 would be a good set as it would give you a quicker ratio but not limit the freeway speeds a 4:44 would

Check my earlier posts about my build.
I have a 16G, 565 injectors and a piggyback.
But I am still about 30 hp/tq from being even with a STI. But I have a few more things that I will end up doing to bridge that gap.

Search on other's builds. It will give you a good idea of what you will have to do.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
Superman2.7t
In Neutral

Re: EJ22T beat a stock sti?

Post by Superman2.7t »

tsbpenguin wrote:Ok so my friend has a bone stock 06 sti. About 50,000 miles.

I want to pull on him from a roll and lower strip times would be nice as well.

I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible up front.

This is the setup im thinking:
The car is a 93 Legacy SS
151,000 miles
STi 6 speed, diffs, axles, brakes, etc.
Exhaust
Intake
2.5DOHC Heads with SOHC Gasket
Matching Intake Manifold (ported maybe)
MBC (Set at ~13psi)
Big FMIC, or a TMIC

Will this get me anywhere close to him? Anything i'm leaving out?
The STi will destroy you. Hell, an STi will destroy everything but an Audi A6 2.7t.
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

My OBS-T used to run even-steven with my friend's '05 STi (intake+axleback) to my & his amazement. He eventually got tired of not being able to outrun my ghetto-turbo'd wagon & got turbo-backed / protuned. The first time he ever drove (any car) on a 1/4 mile track he ran 12.8....
Stock STi's are not that quick, but can get alot quicker easily.
I have not raced him with alky/more boost on the wagon, but I'm sure he will outrun me.

I think it is possible to outrun your bud with a stock EJ22T longblock with EM / big turbo (not a little 16G) & all nec accessories to make work.
A few guys I know say the 6spd is a handicap for the 1/4mile, but they are more serious than average folks.

O - my friend with the 05 STi has a family member with an Audi RS6 (twin turbo V8) that could not outrun an STi on the HW (mods on STi = unknown), but the RS6 guy is crazy & can drive.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
Superman2.7t
In Neutral

Post by Superman2.7t »

BXSS wrote: O - my friend with the 05 STi has a family member with an Audi RS6 (twin turbo V8) that could not outrun an STi on the HW (mods on STi = unknown), but the RS6 guy is crazy & can drive.
Hey Penguin,

What is your position on an RS6, the A6s big bad brother, being slower than an STi on the HW?
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

The question to ask is what was done to that STi.
One of my friends has a 589WHP (in '05 - ? HP now) '04STi, so to say an STi can't beat a 2.7TT A6 (which is heavier & slower than the old 2.7tt S4's that ran 14.1 1/4's stock) is silly.

The RS6 (13.1 1/4mile stock(R&T '04)) story goes like this-
RS6 guy told the STi's ower (a random STi that was next to him @ the time) that hid did not have enough HP to keep up as they entered the HW. I'm not sure what was done to the RS6, but it was not factory stock. When it could not walk the STi the RS6's owner was in shock. I forgot what the speeds went up to, as this happened a while back (when RS6's were new & still in production) but it was over 150MPH. He basically came back from the encounter with respect for the "stupid Subaru".
I wish I had a couple of this guys cars which include the RS6, Tech-art 996TT, M3 convertible & hardtop, M5........

Moral of the story = a well modded "slower" car, can romp a "faster" cars ass (our '82 Starlet that ran 0-60 in 15seconds stock runs 9.97sec. 135+mph 1/4miles now).
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=32633

Back to the original posters question I think it is possible to beat a stock(ish) STi with a modded LSS/ej22t.

Lets not kill this post with off-topic junk.
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD
farfrumwork
Second Gear

Post by farfrumwork »

Yeah, there are a lot of different ways to equal or best a Stock Sti with the turbo leg.

on top of the basics (TBE, intercooler, MBC) you WILL need a bigger turbo, more fuel, and more air metering capacity or MAP based tuning (the MAF goes to 200g/s, which might get you 220whp if you can control timing). Alky injection does wonders as well for low $$

And about the 2.7TT A6 - I have rolled those on the Hwy and can pull away from 65-90mph. I am *about* even with my friends S4 (2.7TT sedan) from a dig (he pulls a bit once over 80mph).... but a stock Sti will pull on me from any speed in any gear

The torque is fairly easy to get, it's the top end power that's tough - which means bye bye on the Hwy
Old - '93 T-Leg - 14.693 @ 92.68 at 5800ft ASL (Bandimere Speedway)
New - 07 Spec B/stg 2

"bloodstains - speed kills -fast cars - cheap thrills -rich girls - fine wine
i've lost my sense - i've lost control - i've lost my mind" Agent Orange
justin the subie
First Gear

Post by justin the subie »

my friend has a 06 stock sti.. weve raced a few times.. i would say were really really close to even.. ive beat him home, hes beat me home.. we were not or a track any of those times, a hwy with many turns so i would imagine he could win if we didnt have to slow down.. his car spools faster but he has never once left me behind..

>divorced wastgate 3" turbo back no cat
>04 wrx tmic/hks BOV
>tdo5 16g
>fcd 17psi
>whiteline springs/kyb agx struts
>04 wrx 16" wheels
>no a/c
>diamond coil
'92 TW "Hana" ej20tt obd1 <too many to list< sold :-( bought back :-)
'82 BRAT ej22t stroker 2.34L td05 megasquirt smart coils awic walbro255 xt6 f/w 5sp lsd 3" Tanabe t/b
*womans '04 WRX* scoopless/wingless aspen white.. AWIC
drewriviera
First Gear

Post by drewriviera »

I must say, it's all in the way you drive a lot of times. My 91 SS is a factory 5 speed and I kept up with an STI about a month ago stop light to stop light. I didn't really pull away, but then again I didn't really fall back either. You're not going to believe the mods that got my car to do this either....

NGK plugs and wires

Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch

KOYO Aluminum radiator

Fresh stock rebuild w/brand new factory fresh crankshaft (Very tight tolerances)

JVT stainless unequal length headers

ThermoTec Copper wrap on headers, integrated up-pipe and wrapped down pipe

Gutted cats

ThermoTec heat wrap shield over my stock VF-11 Turbo

Also, my brother took the turbo chimney and hood scoop pan off for better cooling by just opening the scoop up. Keep in mind that this was a very cold day, probably about 30 degrees outside.
Last edited by drewriviera on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

Did he know you were there? :wink:
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
92ss satinsvoice
Third Gear

Post by 92ss satinsvoice »

douglas vincent wrote:Did he know you were there? :wink:

LOL

do a 100 shot of nos with supporting mods and you'll walk and sti at the 1320. something i would NEVER do because i hate nos but hey, it would work.
Andy
94 L n/a 5spd, Rip
92 ss burgundy, weekend toy - owner since 2006
mods: too much to list, lost track after $16,000
91 ss champagne - Rip
93 L wagon - Sold (in the family)
97 OBW LTD - Sold (in the family)
88 Leon GL Hatchback - DD
drewriviera
First Gear

Post by drewriviera »

Oh yeah, he knew I was there. But then again around here it may not even have been a real STI. People around Asheville are known for being the people that put "SS" emblems on any Chevy car, whether it be a base model Nova or Malibu. Also, they don't upgrade the engines to match :lol: Same goes for any "5.slow" Mustang in town also has to have the obligitory "Saleen" sticker on it.....garbage I tell you, garbage!