Considering building a track car, looking for suggestions.

Autocross, Rallycross, ProRally, Drag, WRC, F1 etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

beater_legacy
First Gear

Considering building a track car, looking for suggestions.

Post by beater_legacy »

So I've got a '90 Legacy L that I'm parting out and have been pondering what to do with the shell. I have always had an idea of building a Legacy auto-x/roadcourse car to have some fun with and now I have a shell to do it with. Unfortunatly though I have another car project to finish first and limited finances so this won't take place for quite some time. At least I will have plenty of time to plan this out. The car will be only bare essentials, just a stripped down race car. I'm not looking to do anything wild and I don't even really care if its competitive, I just want to have some fun with it. I'm thinking about 300hp is all I will need considering the car will be significantly lighter.

The car was originally FWD so I am going to source the appropriate AWD drivetrain parts for a conversion. Any thoughts on which model this should come from? I am converting to a manual as well.

I still have my EJ22 block and heads and I've always heard the EJ22 is the strongest block. Is this true? Can my power goals be met by building EJ22? Should I just source a WRX motor and go from there? The main emphasis here is to have fun with the car, not spend all my time and money fixing it so a strong block with minimal mods is what I'm looking for.

As for the suspension, coilovers? What are my options? How wide can you go with the wheels and tires? Are there swaybars and endlinks available too? What brake options are there? My car is non-abs and I will probably keep it that way if that changes my options.

The interior will be bare minimum with one race seat, cage and gutted stock dash with essential gauges. I will probably keep the factory glass and I'm not sure lexan is even available for these cars. Was there a manual crank option for the door windows? I want to lose as much weight as I can here.

As for the body, I will make my own, home-brew fiberglass hood and trunk lid. I don't think any other modifications will be necesary.

I am not asking you all to build this for me, I am just looking for options and opinions. So thanks in advance for any input you can provide!
Scandinavianflick
In Neutral

Post by Scandinavianflick »

Woooow, this will be so much fun! Good luck and have fun with this project. :)
Subaru Legacy 1991 GX 2.2

[url]http://www.myspace.com/wistariatheband[/url]
[url]http://www.myspace.com/blindcrestice[/url]
beater_legacy
First Gear

Post by beater_legacy »

I certainly hope so. It's going to take me forever to build it though, unless good fortune falls in my lap soon. haha
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

An ej22 is not an ej22t.The turbo motors are fully closed blocks and very strong the NA motors are not the same but fine for what you want to do probably.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Does it matter what it looks like? What kind of rules are you anticipating, if any?
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
beater_legacy
First Gear

Post by beater_legacy »

Thanks for the info about the block. I thought the NA and T motors shared the same block.

Looks don't matter, it's already got a home-brew paintjob. I might go through the SCCA rulebook for auto-x and maybe build for one particular class, or I might just go all out and not worry about being all that competitive. How do Legies usually perform in auto-x?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I was just wondering if you would be competing in a class where anything goes. A lot of weight could be saved and stiffness gained by ditching the roof and glass, covering the passenger side with flat panels, welding steel bars across the doors and welding them shut, and installing an aircraft type canopy over the driver's side (you could even possibly keep it a 2-seater in tandem). Don't know about competitiveness, but it would sure attract attention.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
beater_legacy
First Gear

Post by beater_legacy »

Holy crap! I just pictured that in my head and it's freakin' awesome! It would be '50s prototype meets late '80s styling. hahah Could be called the, "duo-posto". hahaha
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

That's the idea. When I've got the Legacy back on the road and finished paying off credit cards, I'll be doing that to a Miata complete with tail fin like a single seat D-Type Jag. The canopy will slide open over it and it will have a 3-piece safety glass windshield like a simplified P-40 from the middle section forward. If my wagon were a sedan, I'd consider doing it to that, but likely with a more squared off canopy style to match the rest of the car better. Should be a real boost to mileage, too.
FormulaSuby
In Neutral

Post by FormulaSuby »

rallyguy_777
First Gear

Post by rallyguy_777 »

get some 04 sti coilovers/ sway bars and a good set of tires lol you will have an awesome time.
Massimo Narini

93 legacy Turbo (aka Gracie)
-Turbo XS boost controller(6/12psi), WRX TMIC, STI sways,04 STI struts, 3'' DP, lightweight pulley,
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

You can also use coilovers from a GC8 (93-01 Impreza).
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]