WRC legacy info thread

Autocross, Rallycross, ProRally, Drag, WRC, F1 etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

legacymax
Second Gear

WRC legacy info thread

Post by legacymax »

I moved this here because it wasn't getting any views in "community projects" or maybe no one really cares. but...
I would like to compile a thread of info on the WRC Group A legacy. Pictures, build info, part info. I have the 92 and 93 WRC season reviews with a lot of video of the legacy but no build pictures or info.
Info I know.
first win was new zealand rally 1993 McRae/Ringer. Engine purged all oil and still won. Subaru said the team had to win in the legacy first before they could start using the Impreza. After New Zealand Subaru debuted the impreza at 1000 lakes rally Finland where it lead the rally and ultimately finished 2nd. Last rally for the legacy was Australia 1993 I believe.

Please add cool facts, pictures, and build info if possible
Thanks,
-Max
94 legacy Silver Touring Wagon now w/ 5spd, Ground Controls, ej20g, rear VLSD, td05, and edms.
95 impreza Rally car. 3.0 H6
88 Toyota fj62 OME lift.
biggreen96
Third Gear

Re: WRC legacy info thread

Post by biggreen96 »

Great idea! I'd like to see that stuff too, since I am currently building a legacy into a rally car.

You might email prodrive and ask if they have any info they could pass along.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I have videos from the 1993 WRC season on YouTube.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
PRT
First Gear

Post by PRT »

legacymax wrote:first win was new zealand rally 1993 McRae/Ringer.
First and ONLY win in the WRC. BUT, it won the British rally championship outright in 1992.

biggreen96 wrote:You might email Prodrive and ask if they have any info they could pass along.
Forget about asking any info at Prodrive. I tried, and went there. Other then the one in the show room,
there's not much info there. Odd.
All the "knowledge" about the car doesn't work there anymore. Especially since the cut back on the rally
program.

That said, if you got a particular question about the Group A Legacy, feel free to ask me.
I think I'll be able to answer you. I did a lot of research, and spoke to a lot of involved (past and present)
people about the GrpA Legacy.
Nick
PRT motorsport Rally Team
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

this is my favorite video of the wrc legacy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyH9Es0wh3Y&
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That was an awesome video. It blows me away every time I watch a rally video at the proximity the spectators stand to the road! Some videos the crowd is covering the road and barely jump out of the way as the cars come over a hill airborne at insane speeds. Rally has been my dream for a long time but I think just because I'd be worried about killing someone I don't know if I could do it.

I'm excited to see this thread expand and learn more about the legacy's history in rally.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Haven't you been out to the olympus rally? There is hardly anybody out there watching compared to those euro races. Don't let that fear stop you. Build a legacy and come rally with me!
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I did go to the last one and you're right but I also have this fear of losing control and flying off a cliff or steep hill.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy. When I moved out to school here there is a back road curve I felt I was going to lose it @ 45. Now I rail it at 100 daily on the way to work.

The rollcage will save you!
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

This was recently uploaded to Youtube, so I might as well share:

Colin McRae & Subaru Legacy RS - with pure engine sounds (WRC Tour de Corse 1993)
-Nick
1992 BC Legacy L Sedan AWD 5MT 272,000 - Wish you the best
1998 BK Legacy L Wagon 5MT 234,000 miles - RIP
2002 SF Forester S Wagon 5MT 215,000 miles - Current winter sleigh
1986 FC Mazda RX-7 GXL Coupe 5MT 155,000 miles - Summer cruiser
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy. When I moved out to school here there is a back road curve I felt I was going to lose it @ 45. Now I rail it at 100 daily on the way to work.

The rollcage will save you!
Woah, what? How come I was never aware of this road?? Oh well, too late now...
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

haha, Never took the old Pullman road? This area is littered with great roads man. Many between Colfax and Pullman.
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

Soul Shinobi wrote:This was recently uploaded to Youtube, so I might as well share:

Colin McRae & Subaru Legacy RS - with pure engine sounds (WRC Tour de Corse 1993)
awesome! That is how rally videos should be made, no music just engines.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
ebox86
In Neutral

Post by ebox86 »

Sorry for gravedigging, but is there anything stopping someone from recreating what the 1992 subaru WRC car looked like for next year in the Olympus rally? Are those designs copyrighted at all? I want to create a replica of the design because i think it would be easy to do compared with a full car vinyl wrap and also it would look awesome

similar to below:

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Subaru is a big sponsor of Rally America, instead of speculation, I think you'll get the final word by calling their US corporate headquarters.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

Nah just do it. I'd love to see it. People at rallys would love to see it.
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

There is nothing stopping you. There are a few Impreza's running around trying to emulate the old 555 liveries. That was my original plan as well when I first got my car. Then all the stuff trying to prep the car to actually be competitive took my time and money. Wasn't until a few years later I had time/money to do a proper design, and ended up doing something to stand out and be different.

I like traditional liveries. But if you are trying to make a name as a driver, need something people can identify with. If you run the old colin mcrae scheme, people will just be "oh remember that legacy with the colin mcrae livery? That was cool" instead of "Remember Conte with his bright ass orange legacy, that was cool".

Just my 2 cents. :)
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

Hopefully this album can be seen by all ya'll.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 820&type=3
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I dont have a facebook and it won't let me see it :(
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

You are missing out then! Thanks Matt!