2010 Alcan 5000 Summer Rally

Autocross, Rallycross, ProRally, Drag, WRC, F1 etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Cignoramus
In Neutral

2010 Alcan 5000 Summer Rally

Post by Cignoramus »

Did a quick forum search and saw some talk about it from a couple years back... Its funny because my dads the rally master. I'm running it with past-winner Gary Webb this summer in my '94 Legacy SS (Pearl White). I'll post some pics tomorrow and show off some of the build. I'll probably be selling it up in Alaska at the end of the rally.

For more info on the Alcan 5000, check out http://www.alcan5000.com/ in short it is a (roughly) 5000 mile road rally from Western Washington up through Canada and into Alaska.

If anyone was wondering there have been a lot of Legacy's running in the past. I know two people off hand who have rally set-up SS's that are pretty cool. One is a 5sp maroon colored '92. The other a white 5sp '92. The latter may have been mentioned in threads a while back that came up in the search. Ron S. owns it, didn't roll it per say but dropped off a couple hundred foot embankment and blew the fenders and doors out. He rebuilt it soon after and is still rallying it. He was double zero (i think, might have been 0) at the Olympus rally this year and runs as zero cars pretty often in the SCCA events. Definitely a shining example of a rally legacy.

Some of you may have seen me at the Olympus rally in my legacy. I know "kleinkid" was there, he's got a nice looking modded legacy! A couple others I were talking to were subaru mechanics that run a shop i think in gig harbor they said. Don't know for sure if they're on here...

Anyway I'm running a WRX TMIC+TD04. I bought the car that way, (kinda wish I'd done it myself) it was a really good deal and definitely profitable up north. It was also lowered 3 inches on super stiff coils (for sale) with stiff sway bars (also for sale). I've got it back to stock suspension now, rides great. It's also got a black WRX hood scoop (functional!) and a few other miscellaneous things: HID's, CB+HAM radios, Alfa Elite split screen rally odometer (for TSD's), spoiler, 2.5" magnaflow w/ 3" turbo back exhaust, white 16" 2.5rs wheels on Fuzion vRi's, RallyArmor mud flaps (still need to get rears on) and WRX front seats. Couple other things I'm probably forgetting, but you get the idea.

List of things to do in the next 5 or so weeks before Alcan:
-Vacuum Lines and IC hose
-Skid plate (Ultra Armor 3/16" Front/Rear) From Paul Eklund http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/skid ... legacy.htm
-Roof rack to hold full size spare and gas can
-Quick DIY brush bar (any tips or pics would be greatly appreciated)
-ATF change (yeah thats the funny part, its an automatic)
-And of course more rally decals!

Here's a teaser, pic from when I first got it

Full album is public, check it out here http://s862.photobucket.com/albums/ab18 ... gacy%20SS/
-White '94 Legacy SS (193k) - EJ22T, 4EAT, WRX TMIC+Scoop, TD04, 3" TBE - 2.5" Magnaflow, HIDs, WRX front seats, front/rear strut brace

-Next project: '92 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4, smoking out the exhaust, suspecting blown turbos...
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: 2010 Alcan 5000 Summer Rally

Post by kimokalihi »

Nice legacy! That pic must be with the lowering springs?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Cignoramus
In Neutral

Post by Cignoramus »

Yeah I don't have many recent ones, it looks wayyy better now i'll try and get some pics up soon.
-White '94 Legacy SS (193k) - EJ22T, 4EAT, WRX TMIC+Scoop, TD04, 3" TBE - 2.5" Magnaflow, HIDs, WRX front seats, front/rear strut brace

-Next project: '92 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4, smoking out the exhaust, suspecting blown turbos...
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Looks pretty damn good in that picture.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Cignoramus
In Neutral

Post by Cignoramus »

yeah it looked sick lowered, but not very practical for what i wanted to do with it. i think PO set it up for autocross... I autocrossed it once with the stock height and stiff front/rear swaybars, it handled pretty well. minimal body roll, but the power is insane for the weight of the car. has absolutely no problem spinning all four on dry pavement! even on launch...

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Really? That's cool. It's only lightly modded too. Get some pics up! I wish the IAC on my engine wasn't where it is so I could use the WRX BPV like you have.
TonyAWD
First Gear

Post by TonyAWD »

Thats hot.
94' Legacy L Wagon
~96xxx miles
~ISC Coilovers
~Whiteline RSB, Endlinks, HD RSB Mounts
~Rallitek FSB
~02 WRX Wheels
~DIY Interior (In Progress)
kbeefy
First Gear

Post by kbeefy »

cool, I'll have to look into where the finish is, Paul talked a little about the Rally when he was up here last fall.
'92 Legacy SS, AGX, GC coilover, ALK, 20mm ARSB, FCD, MBC, iceracer, rallyx and DD
'87 Mustang GT roadracer, to many mods to list
kbeefy
First Gear

Post by kbeefy »

looks like the finish is in anchorage, I'll keep an eye out for you.
'92 Legacy SS, AGX, GC coilover, ALK, 20mm ARSB, FCD, MBC, iceracer, rallyx and DD
Cignoramus
In Neutral

Post by Cignoramus »

Yep and did I mention I'm selling it up there at the end of the rally? Lemme know if you're interested :)
I'll have some more stuff done to it. Definitely looking at stainless brake lines I don't like the stock pedal feel. Oh and I remembered another sick mod that I got lucky on, all four rotors are slotted and cross drilled!
Was just looking around at revtronix chips, the stage 2 looks sick but i'd have to track down a jecs maf and high flow injectors are kinda pricey... Stage 1 looks fine though, anybody have anything to say about it? It says increase in fuel economy, VERY appealing since gas stations are so far apart when you start getting that far north in BC.
I think a fuel cut defender would be a good idea too. I thought i'd fixed this one problem where if i'm power on from stop into a corner it would bog down and sputter. Usually just right turns. I put a new fuel filter in and it was fine but just happened again the other day. Though I was a little under a quarter tank... Idk if its fuel cut or just pump/lines being messed up. Any ideas? I still have to re-do all the vacuum lines for good measure, could be a leak from ghetto rubber hose from TB to TMIC. This one will fit right? http://www.rallitek.com/AVO-Throttle-Bo ... ose/p-4319

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That's not the right hose. It's way too long and curved. The hose that goes to the intercooler from the TB is very short and straight. Looks just like this:

Revtronix is dead. The guy disappeared without a trace. Your best bet for engine management would be to check out what Rob is working on right now.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=43744

You should check out the brake master cylinder brace to help pedal feel/response.

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/cu ... -1644.html

I think several companies make it and you may be able to fabricate one yourself. The idea is that the firewall is thin where the brake master cylinder mounts and it flexes when you press on the brake pedal which reduces the responsiveness of the brakes and gives you the softer pedal feel. How much of this is noticeable I have no clue but seems to make sense. A lot of parts are sold that claim to do things like this and I know a lot of them are BS just to make money. They'll feed you whatever you want to hear to sell you their product. Look into it. Seems to me like it would be more effective than upgrading brake lines. I read on this forum somewhere that someone replaced all their brake lines with SS lines and felt no difference whatsoever. The same could be true of the BMC brace, who knows.

Here's a nice writeup on the Cusco brace:

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/how-install ... stall.html
kbeefy
First Gear

Post by kbeefy »

for the alcan I'd keep it simple and stick with the factory ECU. Very mild boost controller, FCD. If need be you can delete the boost controller and Fuel Cut and finish stock.

I also wouldn't waste money on SS lines unless yours are obviously shot and/or you've nothing else to spend money on.

If you want to sell up here then put an ad on AKIC before you head up (it's nasioc in AK).

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72
Cignoramus
In Neutral

Post by Cignoramus »

ok i didn't think that hose would fit, thanks for confirming! i'll see what schucks has for generic hose. current rubber one inflates under boost and leaks slightly. is the TB outlet 2.5" or 3?
yeah i was mostly interested in the ecu for a little extra power, smoother driving, and better fuel economy. thats weird because revtronix site is still up http://www.revtronix.com/products/subar ... stage1chip
robtune looks interesting but i'm running out of time and can't afford (time/money) to have to mess with stuff. keeping it simple is the way to go.
There is a turboSmart MBC in the car; was hooked up when i bought it but it shifted kinda laggy and i was unsure of supporting mods. intake setup was ghetto'd on, duct tape and pvc pipe with a hemispherical filter on it. so i didn't trust the job PO had done on the boost situation.
That brake cylinder brace is interesting but primitive racing sells SS lines for about the same price as that brace. idk if i'll worry about doing them or not. Still gotta buy skid plate and roof rack.
I might post it there but my dad has a friend up there who's in with the subaru crowd and has agreed to sell it for me.
Thanks for the info,
Cameron

Cignoramus
In Neutral

Post by Cignoramus »

wow this thing slides wayyy to easily, running fuzion vRi's almost brand new. I think the suspension is just a little too soft for the way I drive, super body roll. But even dry pavement taking a turn at 35 or just power on and *screeeeech*! I think I should've waited a little longer to swap out the sway bars...

Cignoramus
In Neutral

Post by Cignoramus »

^that problem was fixed with an alignment, something bounced up and ripped my fender liner off on the freeway and threw the toe and camber out. + camber on one side - on the other side. les schwab wanted 400 bucks because they said my tie rods were shot, i checked them and they were perfect, zero play. took it to clark's alignment and got a 4wheel alignment for 60 bucks.
but now a HUGE f'in problem. 11 days until the i leave for the rally and my damn transmission goes out. completely slipping through 3rd and 4th. started happening on the freeway this morning so i had to come all the way home through redmond revving 4,500 in 2nd gear... the wrecking yard my dad's subaru guru friend works at has a tranny for 800 bucks and he can install it for 500 on the time pinch. its been inspected and is in good condition. price seems pretty steep though. i'm going to post a WTB thread but if anyone has a better price on a 4EAT in good shape that is somewhat close by could you help a fellow legacy owner out?

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Jesus Christ! $800!?!? I bought a 4EAT from a 94 legacy from my local junkyard for $175 if you give them your core or $200 if you keep your core. That was 5 years ago and the tranny is still running perfect. Had 140,000 on it when I swapped out the original which had 274,000 miles when it died.

Tell that guy no thanks. You can get one elsewhere for much much less. $300 tops.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Maybe a manual tranny swap is in order? Car will be worth a little more with a 5mt, right?
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Cignoramus
In Neutral

Post by Cignoramus »

gahhhh well now my dads saying he talked the price down a little, he'll cover it and it has a 100 day warranty anyway, idk with the time crunch i think its the least stressful option. i was looking at pull a parts inventory but they dont have any turbo legacy trannys, just the NA ones with different ratios so i'd have to swap the diff too and i don't think it would drive the same. a 5sp would make a lot of sense and be my first choice, but Gary (my driver) only has one functional arm and can't drive stick very easily...
thanks for the advice on core exchange though, i'll see if we can knock off some more for that.