Getting started in rally, questions

Autocross, Rallycross, ProRally, Drag, WRC, F1 etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Apex3
Fourth Gear

Getting started in rally, questions

Post by Apex3 »

I've been trying to read up on rules and whatnot, but there's a lot of info to take in. I'd like to start rallying the Legacy, but I need to figure out what exactly I can and can't do.

Basically my biggest question right now is about the AWD turbo rule in Rally America, stage rally is my ultimate goal, and from what I've been reading you aren't allowed to start out in a car with AWD and a turbo(which I'm having trouble finding in the rule book), so is there a way around the rule? Like if I do rallycrosses or something like that can I still bump my way up to the next level? I see there's a point system for licenses but I'm not sure what constitutes "experience," I did go to Dirtfish but I don't think a 2 hour class will count for much :lol: I like this car and don't wanna sell it, but I already have 2 cars and don't have room for another.
MConte05
Second Gear

Re: Getting started in rally, questions

Post by MConte05 »

Nope, really no way around the rule unless you do a few track days that prove that you can handle the car at high speeds. I had the same problem when I started. I just ran without a turbo (literally just ran intake piping past the turbo) for my first race. Then realized it was just as much fun in Open Light, and the competition was much closer that I swapped in an NA engine and sold the EJ22T.

Open Light is quickly turning into a very very fun and competitive class. In my region we have 4 drivers or so in very similarly prepped cars. We are all within seconds of each other on the stages, makes for some incredibly close racing that makes us push ourselves to be faster. Way better than being in Open class and having to gauge yourself against all the WRX's and STI's who will obliterate you on the straights and usually have more experience, so will also kill you in the corners.

Rallycross... while a great way to get into the sport, will mean nothing once you get on stage... trust me. I did rallycross for 3 years and thought I was hot shit, then I got on stage and holyyyyy crap. All of a sudden sliding around cones in 1st and 2nd gear in a grass field was just kiddy business. Rallycross cannot prepare you for how to react when the car steps out on you on pea gravel at 80mph heading towards a tree or a deep ditch.

That being said. The Legacy is a FANTASTIC car for a first timer. The longer wheelbase makes it much more stable at high speeds than the Impreza. Plus all the impreza bits (except the driveshaft) fit the Legacy. Once lightened up, the leggy is also just about the same weight as the Impreza. It's a win-win situation. I am very happy with mine. :)
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Well the plan was to start in production class, since it doesn't take a whole lot to get started there, no need to start in any open class. If it comes down to swapping I'll just sell it and buy something NA, then I'll have more money to put into the car anyway.

I know rallycross isn't really the same, but figured it's a good start and it doesn't cost anything really in comparison.

Man, I get the rule but you'd think they'd make exceptions for a car with 160hp :lol:
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

Don't be fooled. Production is actually more expensive since you HAVE to use OEM parts and follow more strict rules. With Open you can do a lot more things openly (and cheaply) though you can also go the other way and spend a crazy amount of money.

Hence... Open Light is really the best place for a new driver. Open rules, that focus on making the racing cheap. Sure... you can go spend $10k on a killer NA engine build and a crazy gearbox. But not many people are there yet since OL is primarily seen as a "stepping stone" to Open class. Maybe once you are at the top of the Open Light class in your region then you might want to step it up to Open, but otherwise... OL is the place to be. Also to note, you can't start in Production with a turboed car either. It's either NA or go home.

So I would seriously consider going to NA. It's just as much fun, if not more, especially since it really forces you to learn how to be a great driver instead of making up for mistakes with raw power.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Remember, these rules only apply when running in RA-sanctioned races. Don't forget that there are also local NASA-sanctioned events.
From my understanding, NASA doesn't have the non-turbo beginner rules that RA seems to think save lives.
Oh, and there's also the Canadian events without the beginner restricted rules.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

beatersubi wrote:Remember, these rules only apply when running in RA-sanctioned races. Don't forget that there are also local NASA-sanctioned events.
From my understanding, NASA doesn't have the non-turbo beginner rules that RA seems to think save lives.
Oh, and there's also the Canadian events without the beginner restricted rules.
Seeing that he is in WA, with Olympus and Oregon Trail and the various smaller regional rallies all backed by RA.... makes sense to play by RA rules.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

I thought about NASA but there doesn't seem to be any races by them closer than California. There are some Canadian rallies I could make it to so that's there.

Guess I gotta weigh my options here. Either swap or buy something else. Would be nice to have the extra cash to spend if I sold this and bought something cheaper.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

I thought DooWops were run under NASA.
Hey, I'll sell you back those blown STi struts if you're looking for a cheap stage suspension.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

This year Olympus no longer is under RA.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

beatersubi wrote:I thought DooWops were run under NASA.
Hey, I'll sell you back those blown STi struts if you're looking for a cheap stage suspension.
I'm not seeing any DooWops since 2010, do they still do it? And it's listed on the RA site, but not under the normal lists so I dunno what it's there for.

They weren't blown when I sold them :? I'll be looking for something new though if I actually start racing it.
mike-tracy wrote:This year Olympus no longer is under RA.
Hmm really? Have to wait and see the rules though, I found a couple local(ish) rallies that still use RA rules even though they aren't a part of it.