Auto-Crossing A Sport Sedan

Autocross, Rallycross, ProRally, Drag, WRC, F1 etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Couple more questions Gary.

Do the front bars go straight across? Or do they have angles and such like the whitelines?

I need to make sure the bar fits around my hellas

here's pics

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... rance1.jpg
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... rance2.jpg
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... rance3.jpg

Second.....is about the end plates. I have seen bars like this that only mount to two of the bolts. Not saying there is anything wrong with that.......but it means you are distributing the load across less of an area, and less bolts.....which creates more stress on those two bolts.

Maybe it's just my engineering background being weary......

Anyone have any comments on that particular issue?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
inzomniac
First Gear

Post by inzomniac »

Ciper: Yes the price is cheap... Bottom line is that most people are making performance on a budget on this club (myself included) and spending $200+ on strut tower bars for a slightly more ridgid bar is absured. The bottom line on these things is that they are functional and they don't hurt the wallet too much. If Ben Lam wants to pipe up here I'm sure he'll tell you that they do make a slight difference... it's not night and day, but it's only one small part of the whole suspension setup... if you're running aftermarket suspension then yes the effects will be noticeable, if not then not so much. And these things are "cheap" in your own words, but they are also functional. Maybe not as good as an STi or Cusco bar, but for the cash, the difference is hardly noticeable.
In regards to the direction of force question.. once fitted, the bar sits right in the middle, so in that respect it is situated perfectly... if you take a look at the strut towers on the car.. they are angled down towards the inside of the car slightly like so \_______/ the bar sits a little higher but you get the picture. Don't worry, these guys do some engineer work before they toss out a product

Josh: Your horns may not clear the front bar, it does come back a bit and I"m pretty sure they'd be in the way.. I wish I had some pics to post to compare.. but unfortunetely I won't for the next little while.. it's not like there is a shortage on these things or this is some big sale.. I can get this price any day of the year... so don't worry, we'll figure it out.
As to your concern about the 2 bolts issue.. as I said in the description of the picture.. it's just an example of the tightening system used on their bars, that's for a honda or something else with only 2 bolts ( I just typed in "strut brace" on google under image search ) The ones for the impreza have all three bolts and a full circle of metal around the strut hole into the engine bay.

I talked to my boss today and he seemed interested in sorting something out for shipping to the US... if your interested send me information in the format I previously posted and I'll get around to sending you an email with total cost including shipping. The method of payment will be CC over the phone... anyone who is nervous about doing this can talk to people on TSC to validate that many have done this with me before and nobody has yet to be billed for a new WRX STi on their card :roll: Keep in mind that I am doing this in my spare time (school + girlfriend that just moved in with me = very little time) so please be patient when getting prices ect.

Thank you!
Gary
1995 Legacy LS wagon
1991 Legacy Turbo - 5spd, JDM EJ20 conversion
1985 RX sedan - dual range 4WD, 5spd (P4 rally car)
random aircraft....
Do It Sidewayz
In Neutral

cheap??

Post by Do It Sidewayz »

Listen....if you feel like spending an extra 150 bucks for some fancy blue mountings, and a spiffy "CUSCO" sticker on your cross bar...by all means....go for it...if you got the cash.

However...i'm the one assisted in the install of these bars on Gary's car, and they are anything but weak. For the abuse he puts on the car they have stood up to EVERYTHING without a worry. They are of very nice construction, and are rigid enough for anyones use.

From comparing different strut bars on the market, i've noticed that they are just about all the same except some are shiney, and some have stickers. Steel and Aluminum are Steel and Aluminum, a Cusco sticker doesn't magically add stiffness and make it bulletproof.

Bottom line...these bars are nice, and for what Gary is gonna get them to you for, it's a steal.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Gary,

I appreciate you taking the time to do this and try and organize things.

Just to clarify, the mounts for the strut tower bars look something like this, compared to the pic posted above

Keep us posted on the shipping issue and other stuff. I'd like front & rear bars, so I'm goin to sit tight until we can figure out if the front one will clear the horns and I can get a picture of the bar and possibly some dimensions.

Thanks
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Do you guys think the front bar would clear my intercooler? I'd like to stiffen up this 12yr old chassis as much as I can. Here are some pics:

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
NuwanD
Second Gear

Post by NuwanD »

I have a very "cheap" front strut tower brace installed on my car, and it makes a world of difference. I believe it's either very similar or identical to the one Gary is selling. With the all seasons i was driving on last season i could notice an audible difference in the way the tires worked, the car felt stiffer and more solid on the highway and understeer was dramatically improved.

I can't justify spending money on the big names unless you are building a show car.
Nuwan
1992 Open Class Legacy Turbo
2004 Forester XT
2000 Impreza 2.5RSC (Supercharged)
1990 Rover Mini 1000
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

Now how about us wagon types? And I'll throw an even BIGGER wrench into the works, how about us wagon types with air suspension (no money to convert it yet)? I've noticed the front struts have caps. Are these necessary for the funtioning of the car? I'm guessing the struts themselves use the same 3 bolt pattern as normal struts. I'm thinking about getting a rear bar. I seem to remember having to do some cutting to get it to fit, but is there anything else I need to worry about? I'm going to guess that my rear bed cover (the adjustable blind like thing) won't fit anymore, but can anyone confirm this?

Argh... So many questions!! And no way that I can think of to thank you guys aside from writing it here.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

mikec,

The caps should pop off.....mine have the plastic caps on the struts, and if I put a front bar on, I'll take them off, and if they fit back on, I'll leave them on, because they dress-up the engine bay.

If you have the same type of caps, then the front bar should fit no problem.

The rear bar......should not affect the blind type thing.

I believe you will need to notch or cut out a spot in the plastic for the bar to fit through. This is of course, just for the wagons.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

I think I'm going to go out and take a look at the car itself. I should probably have an idea of what I might be getting into before I drop the cash.

Thanks Josh!

Errr... Guess I should have logged in before replying. (That's me above) :oops:
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Why do you guys get all huffy about this? The whiteline bar with mounts as shown in legacy777's image can be had cheap brand new from many distributors.

Then take into account of how many bars are for sale on ebay and Nasioc that fit I dont see any reason to buy a lesser bar for a cheap price when a better bar can be had for a cheap price.

BTW, Ive had front and rear strut bars on one of my Legacy for possible 8 months already and I know the benefit.

Air suspension caps are nothing more than a cover for the lines going into the struts. Most likely the caps will still fit after installing the bar. I only have to ask though, wouldnt you rather spend the money getting RID of the air suspension first so you have something that can take more advantage of the new strut brace?!
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

That's true ciper. I was actually just wondering for future reference, and figured this would be a good time, while its on everyone's mind.

Believe me, I've got bigger things to do with this car before I worry about some body flex. :(
inzomniac
First Gear

Post by inzomniac »

Boosjunkie: The bar will not fit around the intercooler, you need to get one made for the UK WRX's they can be had from many different warehouses in the UK. Demontweeks (sp?) in the UK or try www.primmracing.com he's in the UK and deals in sparco and OMP which should have them.

Ciper: Seeing as I haven't posted a picure of the bar I'm selling yet I find it insulting for you to call it a lesser product (especially since you have never installed on your car or seen the disign of the bar I'm selling and have NO basis for your criticism). The bar is infact almost identical to the whitline that Josh posted, the ends are black and not yellow, and instead of being a full circle they are C shaped but still cover all three bolts, which does not effect ridgidity at all. Everything else looks the same. Sure the more expencive bars may be slightly better (read .01 of a G on skidpad) but for the price differenc who cares!
Gary
1995 Legacy LS wagon
1991 Legacy Turbo - 5spd, JDM EJ20 conversion
1985 RX sedan - dual range 4WD, 5spd (P4 rally car)
random aircraft....
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

inzomniac: I didnt read the entire thread close enough, I didnt know you are the seller of the items.

I dont want to comment anymore