apexi avc-r installation completed

Collection of technical archives from the BC-BF LegacyWorks Yahoo! group.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

aludeman_

Post by aludeman_ »

hi gang,
ok I just finished my avc-r install. It took me about 7 hours(over two days) to install it all. I admit I'm a bit slow but the end goal was a clean install. I soldier all my connections. I did make an error and connect the throttle wire to the wrong wire, but other than that I seemed to have no problems.

I never had a boost gauge so I installed it all and left the stock boost solenoid intact. I ran around town and saw a peak no higher than .49kg/cm2 (about 7psi) Overall it seemed to hover in the .42-.45kg/cm2. (6psi-6.5psi) my car has k&n filter, and the euro wrx intercooler. I mounted it on the blank area between steering wheel and the climate controls. It looks clean and easily readible. I'll probably throw up pictures later this week.

Today I hooked up the apex boost solenoid. I dialed it to .65kg/cm2(~9psi) woah!!! I'm ready to take any car on! =] Dave told me that I can very safely run at .77kg/cm2(~11psi) and even run it right up to .91kg/cm2 (~13psi) with no sweat. Anyone else have an opinion on this?

The avc-r installation manual mentions that "Subaru vehicles require a WAY to connect to the solenoid value" Does anyone know what this means?

lex
siryacho

Post by siryacho »

>From what I've heard, you should be fine running 13psi, especially
since you have the intercooler installed. There is a fuel cut
though, at a little above 13 psi, and you'll know damn well when you
hit it. I've seen my AVC-r peak at 1.10 bar sometimes before fuel
cut kicks in, so it seems like some boost spikes are "allowed" by
the ECU, allthough you generally don't want that either. Try
messing with all of the settings to get a nice boost curve all the
way through, your intercooler will keep you from detonating.

-mike
alexius ludeman

Post by alexius ludeman »

ok now i've had a little time to play with it. I'm trying for
.80kg/cm2 and overboosting in 4th/5th gear to .85-.88kg/cm2. And it
appears that i'm hitting fuel cut at a low 12.3psi based on avc-r
reading. Both boost gauges are off the same hose from the intake.
the apexi is teed in, and the stock is the end of the line.

I'm still trying to see if i can solve this overboost. Is there a
good page on tuning this device? Since I'm hitting it only in 4th
and 5th gear. i see there are percentage settings for start duty for
those gears. I'm sure this is what I want to change, but unclear the
real meaning behind them. the manual is less than helpful at
explaining them.

My friend and I did a little gtech run yesterday with the avc-r
deactivated (.30kg/cm2) and ran a 129hp(@wheels). I did a rerun with
avc-r at .75kg/cm2 and it showed 156hp@wheels. It was only one run
so i'm not exactly sure how accurate, but this was lower than I was
hoping. A dyno tune is probably the right way to do this. =]

lex
alexius ludeman

Post by alexius ludeman »

Ok it is time to add some more to this story. I have my installation pictures up now.

http://lexinator.com/~aludeman/cgi-bin/ ... /9-24-2002

I talked to some guys on i-club and they suggested how to tune it. I'll try and give a summary here.

Basically find a road you can watch the avc-r and not the road. First tune 3rd gear, dial in your target boost(.80kg/cm2) and start with a solenoid duty that hits your target boost.(66% for me). Do about 3-4 runs from 2500rpm to redline. The avc-r should now be learning your car. Now stop the car, and go to "start duty" menu. You should be able to crank up 1st/2nd (+20% for 1st, +7% for 2nd), but you will have to reduce for 4th and 5th so you do not overshoot your target boost.(-4% for 4th, -9% for 5th). Now romp on the pedal and see if you hit your target boost in those gears. If not adjust accordingly. There is one other factor I haven't explained and it's the F/B menu. This is the feedback on how reactive the avc-r will try and correct for your target boost. If you have it set too high it may sometimes try and correct and will overshoot your target boost. If it's too low it won't correct often enough and you will fall short of your target boost. You should have a nice stable boost. I'm using
I've lowered my NE point to teach 2500 not sure if this is useful or not.

These settings seem to be doing well for me. I know that .80kg/cm2 is close for fuel cut for me. I'm not sure why it's so low, no one seems to have a suggestion for me. I have seen spikes above .85kg/cm2 and no fuel cut. Though the fuel cuts that frustrate me the most are the ones where I'm right at .81-.82kg/cm2 and fuel cut seems to randomly come on. I'm basising these numbers totally upon what the avc-r is showing me.

On a side note, I'm heading out of country for 7-8+ months so the legacy gets to sit all winter. I was really looking forward to some 4 wheel slides in the iced over parking lots.

lex