fuel pump installed

Collection of technical archives from the BC-BF LegacyWorks Yahoo! group.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Z1Auto@aol.com

fuel pump installed

Post by Z1Auto@aol.com »

had a slow day at the shop, so at around 3 pm, decided to swap fuel pumps. We had a bunch of the Walbro/Holley's on the shelf for the 1TG and 2G DSM's, so I ended up grabbing one for a 2G DSM Turbo (Holley part number 12918). Install was very easy and straightforward. Had to "modify" two minor things:

1. the stock fuel pump power and ground wires use small nuts and philips head screws..the new pump used a plastic plug. I had a bunch of extra plugs left over from prior isntalls, os just used those and then used a simple butt connector to connec the twio wires, then some heat shrink around it all.

Also, the fuel "sock" that comes with the Holley pump is very small, and as you might know, the Subaru pump sits high up in the tank. As such, I chose to reuse the stock "sock" as I couldn't get any new ones till Wednesday. I used generous (2 cans) amounts of brake clean as well as good flushing with the cleaner you use for the K&N's, rinsed it well, then blew it dry with the compressor and let it sit int eh sun for another 20 minutes or so...all nice and clean afterwards (it wasn't that dirty to begin with, so I assume my tank is ok inside). Went to put the stock sock back on, and the little tab that uses the lock ring snapped off the new pump...used some good old 2 part epoxy to hold it on and all was good to go. Reinstallation was very easy. If the WRX had the nice folding rear seats, we could do pumps in like 25 minutes!

Anyway, took it out for a quick run..not a dramatic difference but defiantely better. I also chose to remove the STi front strut brace I had been using. Although made for the Impreza it physically fit in the car, though was a very tight fit between the underside of the hood and the IC...as such under initial startup from first gear, you could hear it knocking together. I also thought this "might" be contributing to the ecu pulling timing at higher revs, as the knock sensor picked up the vibrations between the two metal parts, so I am doing an ECU reset now and will know for sure I did notice there is a small gash in the brace from where it runned on the IC, so it was definately hitting alot. Anyway, if I find a BC specific strut brace (non Whiteline) I'll dop it, otherwise, no big deal at all (thought he Sti brace was $$).

Think I'll also do the HKS FCD now too while waiting for the ecu to reset..then turn up the bosot controller and see how she does!

Adam