Details on my 3.5

Collection of technical archives from the BC-BF LegacyWorks Yahoo! group.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Kerrie

Details on my 3.5

Post by Kerrie »

To anyone interested...

I had allot of help from my friend Craig, who is a welder/fabricator with all the tools you (or at least I) could dream of!

My lift consists of a couple different setups used together.

The unibody sits on the drivetrain in quite a few locations. We used a 2" poly block in each location. We bought a big slab of this 2" poly and cut it into the shapes that we needed. Have a look under your car to see what I mean about all the different shapes. Everywhere the drivetrain/suspension mounts to the car is a little different. Triangles, squares, rectangles, circles, ovals, you name it. Ok maybe not hexagons or polygons or whatever.(My attempt at a joke.)

My front and rear strut towers were extended about 4". We used aluminum pipe in a little larger diameter then the hole on the top of the front strut towers. We had to play with that quite a bit to get the angles just right. The rear strut mount was modified on the bottom and lifted about 3.5" to 4" by welding in a piece of C channel steel. It is reinforced to handle the stress. My steering linkage was modified as well, We removed the u-joint and cut it in half and welded in a 2"-3" extension. The splines are not long enough to just let it slip out farther.

I am sure I am missing some details here, I will run this e-mail past Craig and see what I have missed.

I will include whatever pics that I can and maybe put them in the photos folder for this group.

I have many future plans for this car as well.

These include cutting out the wheel wells a little more, building a stronger skid plate setup, bigger tires, roof rack, snorkel, maybe look at different bumper options, and a whole lot more engine work, including turbo rebuild and better cooling options. I think I might also ditch the power steering someday when I can get my hands on a manual rack.

So much to do, so little time and money! Take care.

Kerrie.

1985 Subaru GL-10 1.8 liter Turbo/intercooled , dual range 4WD, 4" lift.
ps. I think I will run some 28X8.5R15 Super swampers when money permits.

pss. The pictures attached are when my car was about 2"-3" of lift. I will get some more recent pics eventually.
Josh Colombo

Details on my 3.5

Post by Josh Colombo »

Hey Kerrie,

Pretty cool.

You may want to check out the Ultimate subaru message board if you already haven't. They've got quite a few guys in the older gen board that have done something similar to you. http://pub1.ezboard.com/bultimatesubarumessageboards

Josh