options

Collection of technical archives from the BC-BF LegacyWorks Yahoo! group.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

subaruracer755@cs.com

options

Post by subaruracer755@cs.com »

well i got my 1991 legacy turbo trannie apart.

on the main inputshaft the main drive gear attached to the shaft is missing 2.5 teeth... thats what was making the noise i heard. So i went to work and priced an input shaft, seals, synchros, and bearings.. around $8-900!??!?!

so my next alternative is find a used turbo 5MT trannie (i have been trying with no luck) or bolt up a trannie from a twin turbo, which i can get easily. now my father is reluctant, cause he says we should open that one up and check it too. Im thinking just put it in and deal with it.

any opinions?

mike
Josh Colombo

options

Post by Josh Colombo »

I'm pretty sure it will work. As long as the tranny is in good shape, should bolt up fine.
ciper_

options

Post by ciper_ »

Get a 5mt from any other legacy/impreza with its matching ratio differential and forget about using the weird turbo ratio.
Todd A Erickson

options

Post by Todd A Erickson »

Sorry, a 5MT from “any other legacy/impreza” will not work. The turbo legacy has a 3.9 final drive and a pull style hydraulic clutch. The best fit would be a 2002 2.5 RS, it has 3.90 and a hydraulic push clutch. Another good is the 97 and up 2.5 Legacy. It has 4.11 and a push hydraulic clutch, you’d need the rear diff also, or a WRX trans (hydraulic pull clutch) and rear diff (3.54 times the 1.1 drop ratio = 390).

Todd Erickson