EA82 Turbo Question

Collection of technical archives from the BC-BF LegacyWorks Yahoo! group.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Kerrie

EA82 Turbo Question

Post by Kerrie »

I have added a turbo to my MPFI EA82, and changed the distributor and added the knock sensor and computer and plumbed in an intercooler. So everything should be fine, or so I thought... My car is running way to lean. at 1/4 throttle the car pulls hard, anything past that and the car seems to die almost like its starving for fuel. I pulled my plugs and they were all light brown. (Too lean?) So my question is... What have I forgot? Someone told me about an extra ground wire that has to either be hooked up or disconnected to tell the computer that the engine has a turbo. Any thoughts on this? Anyone?

Oh ya, the car is a 1985 GL-10 4WD.

THANKS!

Kerrie.
Josh Colombo

EA82 Turbo Question

Post by Josh Colombo »

Couple things I would check are fuel pump....see what it's rated at....hook a gauge up and watch the pressure while driving.....if it drops off when boost comes on......you probably need a bigger pump or possibly need to check the fuel pressur regulator.

Other thing could be injectors. You could be maxing out the duty cycle on them. Injectors like to stay below 80% duty cycle. Some multimeters will have the ability to check duty cylce. So again that is something I would check.

I don't know of any extra wire that would need to be hooked up. If the ECU is stock there probably wasn't an option to change any wires for turbo or not. Do you have a Pin out diagram for the ECU you could look at?

What sort of boost are you running? Do you have anything in place to control the timing advance?

I'm assuming this motor was n/a before correct?

Josh
craig moe

EA82 Turbo Question

Post by craig moe »

I think you forgot something. On the EA82 MPFI turbo
there is a boost or manifold pressure sensor which
tells the ECU to increase fuel flow. However on a
MPFI non turbo, there is a manifold vacuum sensor
which tells the ECU to increase fuel flow. I'm not
100% sure about this but it would be worth
investigating.
alan butler

EA82 Turbo Question

Post by alan butler »

You are correct, that would be the problem.
Kerrie

EA82 Turbo Question

Post by Kerrie »

Many people to respond to. First of all, thanks for all the input. Now to try and answer everyone's question in one e-mail...

--Will the turbo bolt right on to a MPFI head? I've got a '86 XT Turbo 4WD that has a cracked head. And I've also got a good MPFI engine. So I'm thinking of just swapping in the MPFI engine, but was wondering if the turbo will bolt up to the MPFI head. I was told by Alan on this board that it wouldn't, but now it sounds to me like you have done this (bolted a turbo onto an mpfi). I appreciate any word of advice or experience you can share. Thank you!
First off, the turbo will bolt right onto a non turbo head. All the different heads have the bolt holes on them for the bracket. The catch is, the plumbing would have to be modified unless you want to drill a hole and tap it for your oil out line. I am running non turbo mpfi heads. It works very well for me! If you are going to drill, make sure to do an oil change a couple miles after you are done.

--Couple things I would check are fuel pump....see what it's rated at....hook a gauge up and watch the pressure while driving.....if it drops off when boost comes on......you probably need a bigger pump or possibly need to check the fuel pressure regulator.
Fuel pump is the bigger pump. I ran a gauge and everything there is to spec. Fuel regulator works properly.

--Other thing could be injectors. You could be maxing out the duty cycle on them. Injectors like to stay below 80% duty cycle. Some multimeters will have the ability to check duty cycle. So again that is something I would check.
I am still running normal MPFI injectors, I will check into that.

--I don't know of any extra wire that would need to be hooked up. If the ECU is stock there probably wasn't an option to change any wires for turbo or not. Do you have a Pin out diagram for the ECU you could look at?
Hmm, ok. No diagram, I will check my service manual.

--What sort of boost are you running? Do you have anything in place to control the timing advance?
The highest I have seen my boost gauge go is about 7 and 3/4's almost 8 pounds. I am running the Turbo distributor and knock sensor. That is what advances the timing right?

--I'm assuming this motor was n/a before correct?
Correct!

--I think you forgot something. On the EA82 MPFI turbo there is a boost or manifold pressure sensor which tells the ECU to increase fuel flow. However on a MPFI non turbo, there is a manifold vacuum sensor which tells the ECU to increase fuel flow. I'm not 100% sure about this but it would be worth investigating.
BINGO! I am definitely going to check into this one! THANKYOU! This sounds like a great possibility!

--You are correct, that would be the problem.
I hope I can make it work!

ONCE AGAIN, THANKS TO ALL!
Kerrie Croom :)

ps, on some cracked heads, you can add a product called ALUMASEAL or something like it to your coolant, it will fix minor cracks.