»  BC-BF Legacy Discussion »  Electrical
#Three wire speed sensors vs. two wire speed sensors

Custom Search
Login | Register

Post subject: Three wire speed sensors vs. two wire speed sensors
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin
I was wondering if anyone has run across the different type of speed sensors on the newer cars. The mid-to-late 90's Subarus appeared to have two-wire speed sensors that just screw into the transmission. From what I can tell from the wiring diagrams, both wires go back up to the speedometer circuit. So I'm assuming the speedometer circuit is supplying a voltage and then reading the output signal from the speed sensor.

With the newer three wire sensors, it appears that the supply voltage is fed from a switched ignition source, another pin is ground, and the third goes to the ECU, TCU (if equipped), and the combination meter micro computer.

Interestingly enough the Liberty manual I have that shows the speed sensor separate from the combination meter shows it to have a three wire speed sensor with shielded wire.

I guess if I keep the 6spd speed sensor, I'll need to find the proper connector for it.

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
1997 Impreza OBS

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm

Profile  Offline
 Post subject: Re: Three wire speed sensors vs. two wire speed sensors
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:05 pm 
Fourth Gear
I'm not sure about the years, but I noticed when researching the speed sensor on my '98 Outback that manual transmission cars use a different sensor then automatic cars. The manuals has a sensor with a pigtail to the harness connector while the autos had the harness plug directly into the sensor.

I'm not sure how many wires, but maybe that helps. First gen overseas Legacy/Liberties had electric speedos on some models (possibly all?)

'06 Land Rover LR3 camping/Scout mobile.
'94 Laguna Blue SVX daily driver.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin
Thanks for the feedback PhyrraM.

From the research I've done, only the turbo models overseas had the electronic speedos. I ended up snagging one from the UK and will be putting it in my Legacy.

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1997 Impreza OBS

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:12 am 
First Gear
I'm guessing the two wire one is similar to bicycle speedometer sensor. Reed switch. Like the VSS used within the instrument cluster. It basically opens and closes the contacts each time the magnet fly by and faster it is, the more pulses you get per minute.

The output is then outputted into meter by A/D converter.. or considering the age of our cars maybe an analog integrator.

The 3 wire one could be providing the same output via solid state switch or it could be a module that generates pulse.

Either way, its not hard to convert the signal. If it's putting out voltage, put it through a transistor and you'll have an open-collector output which you could then mate with traditional system.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 7:44 pm 
First Gear
I'm tacking on to this thread because I'm up against this issue with my Vanagon conversion project. I have a 2006 Impreza 5MT transmission with an integral 3 wire VSS. I need to adapt the 3 wire VSS system to the 91-94 OBD1 legacy system which receives its vehicle speed via a speedometer reed switch which simply connects ECU pin B11 to ground. My plan is to connect ignition switched power and ground to the 3 wire VSS and then use the VSS pulse output to control an NPN transistor. If I understand the open collector concept, I'll connect the VSS pulse output to the NPN transistor base, the NPN collector to ECU pin B11 and the NPN emitter to ground. Do I have that right?

From what I've found online, the Subaru 3 wire VSS is generating the pulse output via a rotating magnetic resistance element which means that the square wave output is going to have a high voltage at something less than ignition voltage and a low voltage at something slightly above 0V. Does anyone know what those max/min voltage values are assuming a +12V to +14V ignition power source? If not, no big deal, I'll find out with an oscilloscope down the road. But I'll need to know those voltages so that I can select a transistor with a gate threshold voltage less than than the max VSS pulse but greater than the minimum VSS pulse. Make sense?

- you know where this is headed

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 6:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin
Maybe I'm missing something, but why do you need the NPN transistor? Is that so the output works with the vanagon speedometer? Based on the data I see in the FSM the output from the speed sensor is changing between 0v and 5v.

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1997 Impreza OBS

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:23 pm 
First Gear
Not worried about the speedometer. The newer VSS outputs a square wave that has a max voltage greater than 5V. I want to use the new VSS signal but I'm weary of connecting that VSS output directly to the ECU because we know that our older ECUs are designed to have only 5V on pin B11.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin
Have you tested the output signal from the VSS to see if it's actually higher than 5v? If so, how much higher is it.

Again, the info I saw in the factory manual for the newer VSS shows 0 & 5v being what is inputted to the ECU. There was no modification of that signal between the VSS and ECU.

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1997 Impreza OBS

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:26 pm 
First Gear
Interesting. I have not tested it yet, but I will before deciding on the appropriate next step. Do you know if the supply voltage to the newer three wire VSS is +12V ignition switched power?

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:21 pm 
First Gear
Found the 2006 FSM wiring diagram and I'm seeing that new VSS does indeed output a 5V square wave using 12V ignition sourced power and ground. I still don't think that it would be best practice to connect the newer VSS output directly to the older ECU speed sensor pin since the ECU is already outputting 5V and expecting a switched low impedance ground path. But, it's tempting to just try it and see if it works.

Knowing that I have a 5V VSS control signal to interface with is still progress. I'll report back once I get this drivetrain spinning and can do some testing.

Profile  Offline
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin
I would give it a try and see how it works. I just checked my Link ECU to see how it's setup and I have the pull up resistor enabled. I'm not 100% sure whether that is still enabled from when I had the original reed switch speedometer or not. Either way the speedo input to the ECU works with the pull up resistor turned on, which is more or less how the stock ECU is setup.

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1997 Impreza OBS

Profile  Offline