1990 lagacy going through alternators like mad

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

dsatwork
In Neutral

1990 lagacy going through alternators like mad

Post by dsatwork »

We are on our 4th alterator in the last two years. Any suggestions?
shop says everything checks out the rebuids just keep crapping out. :(
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Are you trickle-charging and testing the battery before each alternator installation? Or replacing the battery?

A weak battery sometimes can kill an alternator. And a weak alternator can kill a battery.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

yup. had this problem, too. both things can contribute to a bad alt. just for good measure, go out and get yourself an Optima Red Top battery.. good starting power everytime.. it's well worth the ~$120 you pay. But i wouldn't pay more than that, although you'll never deep-cycle that battery. Take it to a different shop.. or just get your current rebuilders to do a better job.. do you know what exactly it is that keeps going out?(in the alt) is it the VR? have you had it rewound?
Josh: where's the rewinding alt thread? our search function makes it hard to find the right links..

-=tristan
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I'd get the battery and then pick up an alternator from autozone since they have a lifetime warranty. I had a problem with my alternator going bad, replaced it and then the battery wouldnt charge at all. I thought it was the altenator so i took it off and took it back to autozone to get tested. Turns out the altenator was good but the battery was bad, i guess the first altenator killed the battery or the battery killed the altenator like they just described.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

They usually go hand-in-hand. I would always test both when one fails. You need to go to a shop where the people testing are competent, though. Sears told me my battery was fine because it put out adequate voltage sitting still, but I know it didn't have the power to start the car (they did no starting test). I told them to replace it anyway and I've had no problems in over a year and a half.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

I second that notion of having the charging system checked competently. Auto Zone was going to sell my gf an alternator after their "computer" fingered it as the culprit. I tightened the grounding strap. Fixed. Those cheapo charging system diagnostics get fooled by all manner of basic problems. I wouldn't hang my hat on sears either but at least the machine is better.

I admit that battery / alternator problems can be a bit frustrating to diagnose, but having a spare known, good battery on hand seems to make it pretty easy, along with a good multi-meter. Remember to turn every freakin' thing on in the car when checking alternator output, it should still be over 12V when everything is running like a circus. Lots of folks just get 13.6 or so on the meter, no lights on, etc. and think all is good.

I've seen plenty of bad alternator rebuilds, more than any other part.
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car