Dash warning lights - under or over voltage ???

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

professor
Third Gear

Dash warning lights - under or over voltage ???

Post by professor »

Lately I'm getting the quick flash of the warning lights (battery and brake) when driving along. I have searched the forums and can see that this is likely an alternator fault, or a connection issue. However, I've checked, cleaned, and reinstalled all connections with no change. What accessories I have on doesn't seem to change anything.

The lights only flash like this if I've been driving for 20 minutes or more, and then usually only when cruising highway speed.

I'm thinking this is indicating over-voltage rather than under. Does anyone know if this warning will flash if voltage is too high ? Or what the "normal" range would be before triggering the lights ?

If the connections are good I know I should probably look for an alternator, but I want to give it every chance without spending the money, but I don't want to cook my very nice battery while I tinker.
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
minoru
First Gear

Post by minoru »

I have the same problem with mine. And 3 months ago I had the alternator rebuild. Unfortunately I didn't have time to check the belt yet. I know it's old and cracked, but to make sure that is not loose or anything.
What I plan on doing is, as soon as I see the lights flashing again, I will pull over and put the voltmeter on the baterry to see how much the alternetor charges. Of course I will need somebody to keep the engine reved up at 2700-3000 rpm.
Vrg3, correct me if I am wrong, voltage should be between 13.8 up to 14.5 or so???
93 Legacy EJ22T Station Wagon (4EAT-unfortunately)
God gave us cars so we can enjoy life faster!!!
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Professor-
You're probably right on the over-voltage thought; I had this same problem on mine, and no one seemed to understand what I was talking about. Your battery light is on, as well as the 'BRAKE' light on the opposite side, and the two flash together, correct? Knowing that my alt was good, as well as my Optima battery, over-voltage thoughts did come to mind.
Does your stereo cut out on acceleration? How about under braking? Lights dim? I know your really are a 'professor', but I thought I'd ask the usual questions, for diagnostic's sake :D
Although, on our systems, I believe that if the alt was putting out too much power, that it might just rev higher, and hold a higher idle to burn off the excess volts. I guess we'll all have to wait until vrg3 weighs in for the official answer.
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

yes both lights light up. As my car has no ABS nor auto, those are the only lights in the "idiot light" windows, I think.

My lights do dim slightly at idle but this is true of most cars. I have had no issues with battery charging, and there is no ill effect on idle, running or anything else for that matter. The radio does not cut out.

One thing I do notice, the lights only seem to flash at around 2200 rpm, not more or less. This is why I tend to see them on the highway at slow cruising speed. This type of effect can sometimes be seen on failing variable speed electric motors, a slightly bad winding can misbehave at a certain rpm but be apparently fine otherwise.

I might have to run some small-gage jumpers into the cockpit and hook up a meter and see what the hell is going on. Anyone else miss volt meters in cars ? I do.
mikec
Third Gear

Post by mikec »

I was just going to say the only way may be to hook up a voltmeter. Unless you can duplicate it in your driveway.
"That shouldn't be a problem, since I do regularly visit the realm of subatmospheric manifold pressures." -- vrg3
petridish38
Second Gear

Post by petridish38 »

Or you could use vrg3's scan tool if you possess the resources.

My friend bought her 91 and the guy that sold it to her said that he put a beefier than stock alternator in there, and every once in a while her dash lights will come on and stay on. An irregular voltage could be causing the lights to come on in both cases i guess. Even with her's on all the time and yours only flashing. I need to hook her car up to my scan tool one of these days :?

Andrew
1990 Legacy LS Sedan FWD NA MT
209,000 miles!
2002 Impreza WRX Sport Wagon
http://www.myspace.com/petridish38
http://www.cardomain.com/id/petridish38
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

The problem had become more frequent, so I ran the jumpers and hooked up a meter

It is an over-voltage problem. It has gotten more intense as well, today my idle went up in time with the idiot lights coming on, and the headlights got brighter.

I do not have a wiring diagram. Is there a voltage regulator ground wire, and if so, where ??? Any other thoughts ?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I believe the voltage regulator grounds through the alternator's body (it's internal to the alternator).
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

I'm going to install a ground strap and see what happens