What afc's work on a 94 legacy

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

waldo320
Second Gear

What afc's work on a 94 legacy

Post by waldo320 »

Just a quick question what afc's would work on 94 NA BC, cause I have a first gen apexi safc and it does nothing, the 7.50$ kinda makes me wonder, and ???, seems all the post about afc on here are on stock turbos and I have been talking to the guys at smt6 place and all they say they can do for me is timing changes, so any options that have worked on a NA to turbo or super charged please HELP ME!
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

How do you know its doing nothing?
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

Where'd you get an S-AFC for 7.50$???
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
waldo320
Second Gear

Post by waldo320 »

first vincent made a afc 7.50$ with some radio shack thing that compress the maf signal, next on my afc I can turn it all the way lean or rich and it makes no diffrence in the iddle or my air fuel ratios, next the little knobs that you turn to ajust the mixture should light up red when it hits that rpm range but does not on my unit?
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

Is this what you have?

98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
waldo320
Second Gear

Post by waldo320 »

no...its a black unit, with little nobs that control differnt rpm ranges, first one is 800, then 2400 and so on... It is an apexi AFC but i guess its old....?
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

So you have the very original afc. It should work provided its hooked up correctly. I have the apex'i ITC that's like the original safc but controls timing instead of fuel and it lights up as it enters the rpm range. One of the guys i know was using the original afc on his 93 turbo legacy without problems.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
waldo320
Second Gear

Post by waldo320 »

Could you by chance ask what pin outs he is using for rpm signal and maf signal?
Thanks
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

He moved to california a while ago. But check out the pinout diagram from vikash that's stickied if you haven't already.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
waldo320
Second Gear

Post by waldo320 »

Thats what I did I have power to the unit but cant get the little nobs to light up, so do you know of any way to test the unit?
Next what unit are you using is it the one picture above and if so does it have ej22 NA setting?
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I didn't know that the knobs on the afc lit up. If i remember right, they are grey knobs? The one's on my ITC are clearish. I'm using an safc II for fuel management. I picked it up for 150 dollars from a friend of mine locally.

Does anything on the unit light up?
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
waldo320
Second Gear

Post by waldo320 »

The knobs are clear when they get power they turn green, then once the car is on all 5 of the knobs flash red one at a time some begining sequence I presume. Next the knobs should light up red when the that rpm is reached, but that is where my problem is the knobs do not light up red when that rpm is reached. I have had a friend come over and looked over the wiring job I did and agreed that everthing is in its place.

dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

Looks exactly like my ITC. The knobs on mine are red though and turn green when in the rpm range. I expect yours should be red and turn green also. It just makes more sense that way.

Kinda makes me think you got two of the wires crossed but i'm having problems locating a manual for the 5 knob afc online.

here is the apex'i phone number in california, give them a call and find out if its supposed to light up green when it enters the rpm range.

(714) 685-5700 Phone

i know on the pinout diagram, some of the pins are different from n/a to turbo. I don't know if it was any of the relevant ones but you might recheck that.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out