UPDATE: "Fun" electronics-would anyone want a gear

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Would you want a gear indicator/reminder?

Poll ended at Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:52 pm

Yes, I would like to build it myself if I had the instructions.
56%
Yes, but I would rather buy a prefabed version.
44%
What would I want that for?
No votes
I have enough indicators/gages to distract me.
No votes

Total votes: 9

turboleg
Second Gear

UPDATE: "Fun" electronics-would anyone want a gear

Post by turboleg »

Just wondering if anyone would be interested. If you watch the WRC most of the cars (maybe all of them) have gear indicators that remind the driver of what gear they are in.

I'm not really looking to make money on this...I just have always been interested in building one for the heck of it.

NOTE: This would be for 5-sp (maybe 6-sp) not for autos.
Last edited by turboleg on Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

That's some instrumentation I've been wanting to add for a while, am planning on integrating it into the LegacEBC when that project finally gets back on track. If you're going to be working this all out, however, I'd be interested in a kit to assemble myself.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

I might be interested to, sounds like a trick little gadget!

But I think the Rally drivers need 'em because they have sequential gear boxes ;) (you probably know that..)
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

I was trying to make one by using the old AT cluster, where it has the indicator in the center anyway. My block came when I realized that the ECU doesn't know what gear you're in, and there's no real electronic way to tell, other than attempting to wire it yourself, using a proximity sensor or something similar, attached to your shift lever.
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
turboleg
Second Gear

Post by turboleg »

tris91ricer wrote:using a proximity sensor or something similar, attached to your shift lever.
Thats basically it. I'm experimenting with some options. It's going to take some time...the concept is "easy" but a pratical way of doing it is a little more difficult. I'm weighing the options and am trying to find a "cheap" way of doing it, especially the guys that want the build your own. No matter what I come up with a little assembly will be required. But like I said its kinda a fun project.

Keep throwing the votes down though. It helps keep me motivated :wink:

Thanks guys!
ej22t
Second Gear

Post by ej22t »

I want one too.
Let me give you some idea. Few years ago, when I read some Japanese Magz and there was a kit that put on a 5spd Honda with gear indicator that shows. The system is something like put a small magnic on the stick and put a sensor on each gear, one the stick getting close to the sensor it detacted the magnic and it will shows what gear you are in.
I am not too sure since it was few years ago and hope it helps!

But I do like your idea and if you do really made one, I will sure to get it for fun!

Ben
92 Legacy turbo with EJ20G engine swap \(^0^)/
turboleg
Second Gear

Post by turboleg »

magnetic switches would be a good choice. But it would depend on how much "tuning" you guys wanted to do. The positioning of the magnetic read switches will have to be nearly perfect for it to work right.
- Findlay
"You say grease monkey like its a bad thing"
http://www.toolsource.com
turboleg
Second Gear

Post by turboleg »

Hey guys...

Just updating you. I have finally got some free time on my hands so I am beginning to build a prototype unit. I have a few parts on order for the electronics.

My plan, and I haven't verified that it will work, is to remove the gauge cluster and replace my favorite useless indiciator (the nice little lights that come on to tell you your door is open). Ok so its not completely useless in case there is a problem with a door switch...so I will probably hide the LEDs under the dash somewhere...just in case.
Ideally I would like to remove that piece and with a little fab work put my display there. If anyone wants any thing else they will probably have to play with the design layout a little bit. It won't be extremely difficult to relay these pieces. You will have to bare with me on my prototype. I am using a lot of parts that I have laying around the engineering department to cut my cost.

It should be pretty cool and easy once I get everything finalized and tested.

If anyone has a gauge cluster that they aren't using (it can be damn near cracked in half for all I care), I might take it off you. I'm not really interested in spending a lot of money (maybe $2-$3 plus shipping). If not I have a gage cluster that will be available in a month or two for final fit and fab.
Last edited by turboleg on Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Findlay
turboleg
Second Gear

Post by turboleg »

One other thing. The mechanical side of this (i.e. the "switches" that will determine which gear your in) will need a little custom adjustment to your transmission/shifter setup (it can potentially work for both 5sp and 6sp trannies). I am going to use mine with the 5sp tranny and a WRX shifter with Kartboy bushings. The throw of your shifter may be a little different than mine. It wont be anything difficult for someone with a moderate mechanical ability.

Wonder if someone like Kartboy would be interested in a design...hmmmm.
- Findlay
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

There are products on the market already.

They are very simple, and do speed vs. RPM to determine gear. My boss had one for a bit, and it worked flawlessly.

Phil

http://fastwrx.com/gearindicator.html
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
turboleg
Second Gear

Post by turboleg »

That's a pretty sweet little design!

Hopefully someone would be able to build this one for around $40 or so. Like I said I am using a lot of things sitting around. But so far the most expensive thing I've bought is a $1.25 regulator. If you'd build your own you'd want to buy a PCB etch kit from radio shack (probably $12-$15). The mechanical side of this will probably be able to be fabbed out of things laying around the garage. Plus the indicator can pretty much be mounted anywhere (in the dash, on top of the dash, stuck to the windshield...etc.).
- Findlay
Cynt
In Neutral

Post by Cynt »

Buddy of mine did this on a honda, put 5 more Reverse swiches on the 5 fwrd gears. The reverse switch obviously is for turning on the back up lights, but this would light up a bulb for each gear, I think...
2006 Steel Grey Impreza 2.5i wagon
1991 Black Trucklinered Legacy SS
turboleg
Second Gear

Post by turboleg »

Well I have everything bread boarded and its working great from my small 11-16V power supply. I am going to see if I can get some time in the FAB lab to etch a PCB out and finish up the electrical parts. I'm not sure that I am going to mount the display inside the dash anymore...although I did take the gage cluster apart and it could be done relatively easily. I'll post everything (including a how-to) as soon as I have the final design layout complete.
- Findlay