Ecus and what am I missing?

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Ecus and what am I missing?

Post by PhyrraM »

As some of you have read, I am planning an EJ20G swap. SO, of course, I've been trying to do my research.

What I cannot seem to get my head around is available gas and octane. Some of the more common themes that appear (on many boards) are Z4 ecus and chips (such as the VOS chip). Many people who attempt this swap seem to get reccomended one of these solutions. But it seems to me that both of these are for gas that we do not get here.

Does everyone that tries to run an EJ20G either settle for a subpar (in the US) high octane tune? Or get a full standalone? It seems like piggybacks such as AFCs and ITCs are frowned upon for some reason.

I know the stock EJ22t ECU is supposed to be able to learn to run a stock EJ20G pretty well, but I plan on a 2.35 block, TD05 turbo and possibly a FMIC. At that point I'll be somewhat close to a early STI and if I ran race gas a early STI ECU will prolly do quite well. I'm not gonna run race gas all the time. I have serious doubts about the EJ22t ECU being able to adapt that far.

I've looked into the Apexi Power FC, but since it's been discontinued the prices are rising. I just bought my EJ20G, rods, pistons, TD05, and a few odds and ends so I won't have some cash for a few more weeks anyways.

Any plug and play stand alones that I missed? Maybe I missed another detail somewhere that wipes out my whole trian of thought and make the issue moot?

I'm posting here because I trust most of you. I can't tell you how many times I've read threads only to get 1-2 pages in and realize that the guy (gal?) is full of Shi*. That usually doesn't happen here.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Autronics are plug and play, but extremely expensive...

However, they do work very well :D
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Re: Ecus and what am I missing?

Post by PhyrraM »

PhyrraM wrote: Does everyone that tries to run an EJ20G either settle for a subpar (in the US) high octane tune? Or get a full standalone? It seems like piggybacks such as AFCs and ITCs are frowned upon for some reason.
Or, as I just thought about, are they running piggybacks and just not fessing up to it?
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Just out of curiosity, about how much are the Autronics boards?

It doesn't say on their site or any of the distributors I've checked......

I wonder if they would be able to modify the '94-'96 WRX board to work with our legacy turbo.....?
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
brando
First Gear

Post by brando »

My LINK ran my ej20g fine.
1998 GT
1994 GT