EvoScan - Subaru Select monitor

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

log1call
Second Gear

Post by log1call »

Hi B3lha,
Thanks for that. I've added it to my data file and I'll be putting it in the select monotor too.

I'll be interested to see how that A/F address works in some of the other models. A/F and knock correction seem to be the most often misdiagnosed addresses and they are really quite vital to checking the functioning of other components.
Good to see that there are some people that aren't depending on guess work. Well done.
b3lha
In Neutral

Post by b3lha »

The absolute best way to find the parameters is by eavesdropping on a proper Subaru Select Monitor. If you don't have one then the next best way is by reading the program code, like I'm doing for the EJ15. But that is difficult and very time consuming.

I was lucky with my Legacy. The EJ22 and EG33 ECUs are similar hardware (JECS) and the firmwares are both evolved from a common ancestor (early Legacy?). It is possible to search for a known parameter in the SVX code and find the subroutine that calculates it, Then look for the a similar subroutine in the Legacy code and thereby find the corresponding parameter.

Unfortunately that doesn't help with the EJ15 work because the hardware and firmware are very different to the EJ22 and EG33. But maybe the work we are doing on the EJ15 will help with finding parameters on other Hitachi ECUs.
2 x 1991 JDM SVX Version L 4WS
1 x 1994 JDM SVX Version S40ii
1 x 1996 Legacy 2.2GX wagon (dual-ratio)
For ECU & TCU Diagnostics and Datalogging. See http://www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm
log1call
Second Gear

Post by log1call »

Hi,
I have been reading data out of ecus for a few years and have tried doing it as you say but it was beyond my simple mechanics mind. I don't know enough about programming. I have read and read on-line on forums and have played with all sorts of readers, terminals, serial port loggers, hex editors, spreadsheets... all sorts. I still haven't got it. I'm keen to learn though and watch and try to follow along at home. I went to the wreckers yesterday and got the plugs for a 92 impreza ecu I have and I will try following your process from the start of your instructions here and otherwhere. Unfortunatly I don't have the car so verifying my readings might be tricky. I do have a lot of subaru components lying around, perhaps I will get a whole ecu setup going on my bench!
I found in the end that the simplest way for me was to use select monitor and a serial port logging program, then put the data into a spreadsheet and work through it in there looking for patterns. Then I log just the data I suspect are the bits I need and save a long string of them that I can sort and apply the formulas to, till I recognise the pattern that indicates what is what. I generally find that if I do about three or four dumps doing different things with the motor at the time, and with analysis between dumps, I find most of what I want, or a reading that will be usable to me, perhaps out of the wrong address, within a few hours of work. The hours are spread over a day or more because the analysis is time consuming, which means I only get to do it on cars that have a serious problem, or that are going to be here for a few days anyway.
log1call
Second Gear

Post by log1call »

For those home handimen out there...
Another useful tool I have found is a little serial port adaptor from dataq which allows me to read sensors while the car is running or cranking. This is the actual voltages directly from the sensor, not the ecu's opinion. It's nothing that can't be done these days with a nice digital meter but this is a fraction of the cost and it can read several voltages at a time. The information can be displayed in graphs, oscilloscopes, spreadsheets etc. It can read four analouge signals at a time and is quite user friendly and robust as long as it doesn't get too hot under the bonnet.
The unit I use is a DI-194RS, which is the absolute base line model analouge to digital converter that dataq make.
Cheers, Brett.
And a happy Christmas everybody when.... it arrives there, wherever you are.
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

I purchased EvoScan and a cable, the default settings for the JDM WRX & STi ECUs connected successfully, but most of the data was meaningless. I am going to spend some time trying to figure out the addresses for my car. I will post the results.
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Great, I've been considering getting EvoScan, but the OP and the issues have made me warry. Am very interested if you get it to work, like they claim.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

It totally will work fine if I can figure out my ECU addresses. I'm playing with that right now.

Even if I get mine to work, no telling if it will work for yours.

I might be missing something, but I know that vrg3's tool was working for several people, the information should be the same I would think. I need to keep researching.
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

ScottyS wrote:It totally will work fine if I can figure out my ECU addresses. I'm playing with that right now.
Looking through the VWRX Subaru Select Monitor Scan Tool ini file, it lists the various ECU addresses. Should give you a good headstart.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
iiigoiii
In Neutral

Post by iiigoiii »

just wondering - which version of evoscan did you all use with the new and improved Data.xml? and did you just substitute the new file for the old one in the data files subdirectory?

i tried using it with v2.5 - i check 1G/OBDI/ALDL, but then when i select my ROM ID (SSMI 7032XX) from the ECU list, it gives me an integer conversion error on the ECU name. (huh?! btw, i know the parameters in the 7032XX work for my ECU - i've tried them with the old B10 monitor.)

for grins, i tried renaming my ECU to "1", and evoscan now allows me to select it but fails on communication with the ECU.

any ideas? thanks....
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

Update: sorry guys I've been really busy and have not been able to get back to this.

Basically, I can communicate with my ECU just fine using EvoScan, but clearly the addresses were wrong.

I have all the VWRX data, and have manually set up an EvoScan configuration with the addresses that are most likely to work, but I have not been able to test it yet.

Will update when I do.
log1call
Second Gear

Post by log1call »

iiigoiii, to get evoscan to communicate with an obd1 subaru I use the subaru not the 1g/obd/aldl.
iiigoiii
In Neutral

Post by iiigoiii »

D-OH! THANK YOU log1call, that was the problem!

why, you might ask, did i not check the 'subaru' box for my subaru ECU? ok, i feel a little dumb, but i reasoned that since checking the 'subaru' box gave 4800 baud, whereas checking 1G/OBDI gave 1953 baud (which i thought was correct for the select monitor for 1990-4 legacy ECUs), the OBDI must have been the right setting.

which makes me wonder...am i the only one that is suffering from a lack of documentation for evoscan???
log1call
Second Gear

Post by log1call »

Hi, i don't think there are any help files yet for the evoscan, I don't have any either.

The setting up is a matter of trial and error. If you are trying different settings be aware that the connection will sometimes be made if you change from an old correct protocol to an incorrect one, but then the next time you start a scan the connection will not get made... unless you use the correct protocol first. It can make the trial and error a bit confusing.
fooblahblah
In Neutral

Post by fooblahblah »

I bought EvoScan yesterday, but have been having trouble getting it to connect to my 92 SVX. I have successfully used the SelectMonitor software Kevin wrote using a cable I made.

I installed the Data.xml posted earlier in this thread and see several addtion data profiles.

Are those who got this working using 1953 baud or 4800?

How about the timeout?

Thanks!
fooblahblah
In Neutral

Post by fooblahblah »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I'm getting the following error using any of the SSMI variants:
Info: Initialize Vehicle ECU...
Info: Starting Subaru SSMI Init...
Error: FTDI Device Found but failed to purge
Info: Datalogger Ended.
log1call
Second Gear

Post by log1call »

Use the subaru setting... not the OBD1.

When it connects it will tell you what your ecu's model number is in the section where you have been getting the error message. Once you get your model see if that number is in the list of ecu models.
impreza_GC8
First Gear

Post by impreza_GC8 »

I am bookmarking this. I would love to use EvoScan to monitor my car but I have a unique setup that I think might cause problems if I am expected to alter codes in the program or whatever (I don't speak computer). I have an EJ22T ECU driving my '97 EJ25 block with '96 HLA heads and EJ22T internals. Is is possible to link this with EvoScan?
-'97 Outback - EJ25 block/pistons/HLA heads, EJ22T crank/rods/ECU, EJ20G intake manifold/fuel rails/440cc injectors, VF8 @ 11psi. . . . Fuel cut > me
log1call
Second Gear

Post by log1call »

Yes.
xbn377
First Gear

Post by xbn377 »

I cannot for the life of me find where the pinout for the ecu connector to match the right ones for the stereo harness plug in adapter. Can anyone help me out on this one?
Shawn

91 Legacy SS AT
93 Legacy L Wagon

To get your hands on superior lubricant products from AMSOIL utilize the following url:

http://www.amsoil.com/redirect.cgi?zo=1819626&page=store
log1call
Second Gear

Post by log1call »

Hi Shawn,
are you trying to run the ecu on the bench and therefore want to know which of the pins coming out of the ecu to use, or, are you not sure how to connect your laptop to the cars diagnostic connector?

If you go here... http://cid-4ca3c3459aaa7f7f.skydrive.li ... ublic?uc=2 and have a read of "usbhowto", or, "rs323 connector for subaru", you may find what you need to know to connect to the car.

To connect to the ecu on the bench you need to be quite sure which car exactly it came out of then you have to identify all power and earth wires and the two wires we use to read with. Don't confuse the trouble code reading link wires with the two readable wires. The two we read are I think normally light green with a red stripe and dark green with a white stripe and on pin-out diagrams they are often labeled as RX and TX.

Hope that helps.
xbn377
First Gear

Post by xbn377 »

Thanks a lot!!! I was looking everywhere for that!
Shawn

91 Legacy SS AT
93 Legacy L Wagon

To get your hands on superior lubricant products from AMSOIL utilize the following url:

xbn377
First Gear

Post by xbn377 »

This is what I get when i try to run the program even after it installs drivers and i double checked it was there and it still gives me this:

Error: Unable to load DLL 'FTD2XX.dll': The specified module could not be found. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007007E)
Info: Datalogger Ended.

Any ideas?
Shawn

91 Legacy SS AT
93 Legacy L Wagon

BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Try the 2.6 beta 11, it claims to solve that problem. Also make sure the usb drivers are installed.

I've been playing around with it this weekend and ended up creating a modified data.xml for my Turbo ECU. I used the settings from the b10scan source code for the conversion -- most of the fields work out fine. Recently got the revtronix logging software (works with the evoscan usb cable) and have been using that too.

data.xml (91-94 Turbos)

Code: Select all

<ecu name="SSMI 7232XX" EcuId="">
      <Mode1 name="Mode1" type="Diagnostic Trouble Codes">
        <DTC_TEMP Code="16" DiagnosticItem="Battery voltage abnormal" />
        <DTCControl_TEMP Code="CA" DiagnosticItem="Clear Fault Codes" Notes="returns 0x00" />
      </Mode1>
      <Mode2 name="Mode2" type="Data List Items">
        <DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="" Display="Battery Voltage" LogReference="BatteryVoltage" RequestID="1335" Eval="x*0.08" Unit="V" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="100" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="100" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="False" />
        <DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="" Display="Vehicle Speed" LogReference="VehicleSpeed" RequestID="1336" Eval="x*2" Unit="km/h" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="255" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="255" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="False" />
        <DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="" Display="Engine Speed" LogReference="RPM" RequestID="1338" Eval="x*25" Unit="RPM" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="8000" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="8000" ScalingFactor="0.1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="False" />
        <DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="" Display="Coolant Temperature" LogReference="CoolantTemp" RequestID="1337" Eval="x-50" Unit="degC" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="215" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="215" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="False" />
        <DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="" Display="Ignition Advance" LogReference="IgnitionAdvance" RequestID="1323" Eval="x" Unit="Deg BTDC" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="100" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="100" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="False" />
        <DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="" Display="Mass Air Flow Sensor" LogReference="AirflowSensor" RequestID="1307" Eval="x*5/256" Unit="Hz" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="100" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="100" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="False" />
        <DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="" Display="Engine Load" LogReference="EngineLoad" RequestID="1305" Eval="x" Unit="units" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="100" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="100" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="False" />
        <DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="" Display="Throttle Position Sensor" LogReference="TPS" RequestID="1329" Eval="x*5/256" Unit="V" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="100" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="100" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="False" />
        <DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="" Display="Injector Pulse Width" LogReference="InjectorPulseWidth" RequestID="1306" Eval="x*256/1000" Unit="ms" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="100" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="100" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="False" />
        <DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="" Display="ISC Valve Duty Ratio" LogReference="ISUDutyValve" RequestID="1314" Eval="x*100/256" Unit="% DC" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="100" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="100" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="False" />
        <DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="" Display="O2 Average" LogReference="O2 Average" RequestID="FF55" Eval="(x*5000)/512" Unit="Mv" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="100" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="100" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="False" />
        <DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="" Display="O2 LiveData" LogReference="O2 LiveData" RequestID="0096" Eval="x*5000/512" Unit="Mv" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="255" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="255" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="False" />
        <DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="" Display="Air/Fuel Correction" LogReference="AirFuelCorrection" RequestID="1383" Eval="x-128" Unit="%" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="100" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="100" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="1383" Priority="1" Visible="False" />
        <DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="" Display="Knock Correction" LogReference="KnockCorrection" RequestID="1328" Eval="(x-128)" Unit="deg" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="100" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="100" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="False" />
        <DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="" Display="Atmospheric Pressure" LogReference="AtmosphericPressure" RequestID="1340" Eval="x*8" Unit="mmHg" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="100" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="100" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="False" />
        <DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="" Display="Manifold Relative Pressure" LogReference="ManifoldRelativePressure" RequestID="00" Eval="(x-128)/85" Unit="Bar" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="100" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="100" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="False" />
        <DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="" Display="Boost Solenoid Duty Cycle" LogReference="BoostSolenoidDutyCycle" RequestID="00" Eval="x*100/256" Unit="% DC" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="100" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="100" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="False" />
        <DataListItem DataLog="N" Color="" Display="Idle switch" LogReference="idle switch" RequestID="1453" Eval="x" Unit="unit" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="255" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="255" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="False" />
        <DataListItem DataLog="N" Color="" Display="Input switches" LogReference="input switches" RequestID="15A8" Eval="x" Unit="unit" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="255" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="255" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="False" />
        <DataListItem DataLog="N" Color="" Display="IO Switches" LogReference="iIO Switches" RequestID="15A9" Eval="x" Unit="unit" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="255" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="255" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="" Priority="1" Visible="False" />
      </Mode2>
      <Mode6 name="Mode6" type="Actuator Tests">
        <ActuatorTest Display="?0xF1" LogReference="0xF1" Code="F1" ActivatingContent="" Notes="" />
      </Mode6>
    </ecu>

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
xbn377
First Gear

Post by xbn377 »

Where do I get that beta version?
Shawn

91 Legacy SS AT
93 Legacy L Wagon

BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

The author seems to frequent http://forums.evolutionm.net/ecuflash-179/. Otherwise, I suppose one could create a heldesk ticket and he should give it to you...

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.